Technical Leaking petrol

Currently reading:
Technical Leaking petrol

1ntro

Hi, I have a 2004 reg Fiat Punto 1.2 16v, past few months whenever I fill up I can smell a strong fuel smell which gradually goes away, I rarely fill up my tank fully and so far no leaks from anywhere. Last night I attempted to fill the tank up full, towards the end I got fuel leaking out from underneath the car onto the garage forecourt, I stopped and drove away parked up and checked underneath, the last of the fuel dripped off onto the floor and made a small puddle, it looked as though it was leaking down from the top of the petrol tank through the middle of the car but it was too hard to see. There were no leaks anywhere else. My tank on the meter at this point was only about 3/4 full when really it should have been nearer to full. I left it over night, no more leaks and the meter stayed on 3/4 full. I have had it checked by a garage and they have said they cannot find any leaks. Any ideas?

The only thing to do... and to do very soon... is to drop the tank off & check it thoroughly, and check all fuel lines, tank breather, filler tube the lot...

No need to remove the tank just yet. Make sure the filler and breather pipes from the filler cap to the tank are not leaking or blocked with dirt. If they are ok and problem persists you will need to take off the tank to check for leaks in the hidden areas.

Pretty obviously, dont delay as its a serious fire hazard.

I was told last night that the top of the fuel tank had come undone, this was tightened and I was advised to fill up the tank to full and check for further leaks, also to return next week to check that it remained tight. I went to fill up an and the pump just kept clickign and clicking (basically saying the tank was full when I knew it wasnt), I persisted to full up and again fuel starting leaking out from the bottom of the car. I had put in £30 worth of fuel and the meter on the dash hadnt moved at all. I have drove it back to the garage immediately, they rechecked the top of the tank and said that the top had stayed on the tank but there was a leak so the seal must have gone and that the tanks probably warped.
Got a call today and they want £950 for a new fuel tank, tank seal and fuel sender unit. There is no way in hell I am paying that.
Does anyone know which parts I would need to look for online exactly as I know the Punto's vary somewhat, what is a tank seal?
Car - 2004 reg Fiat Punto 1.2 16v

Cheers!

It was (and still is) most likely a tank breather problem. (difficult filling pretty much proves it). Get under the car and take a look. If the tank appears undamaged it's probably fine and just needs a new filling and vent system.

This might help. Just get a sensible priced garage to swap the lot.

Of course the garage could have messed up somewhere are are trying to hide, but with a silly quote like that its unlikely as you will be sure to take it elsewhere.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Its definately leaking from the top of the tank where the seal is, we located the leak to that specific point but just dont know whether its the tank or the seal that are causing the problem which is why they are suggesting replacing both, would the tank leaking there cause the filling issue or does it sound like I need a new filling and vent system aswell as tank and seal?
Another thing, do I need to buy another fuel sender unit if its just a seal or tank issue or can I use the one thats already there? Thanks

Replace the sender unit gasket, but if the tank top is damaged (or even corroded) just replace the whole tank.
That ebay item I linked to is £25 for effectively the whole fuel system up to the fuel feed and return pipes. Simply swapping the lot would be an easy task for a small garage.

Back