Technical Leaking Fuel from the carburettor

Currently reading:
Technical Leaking Fuel from the carburettor

UNO70SL

Hi,

I have a 1989 1.3 Uno 70SL MK1 with 30/32 Weber DMTE carb.

Recently it started to leak a bit of fuel from the fuel inlet plug.
The fuel inlet has a 19mm hexagonal plug at the bottom of it and it is dripping some fuel from the plug. attached illustration from Haynes.

This happens only when the engine gets warm and I drive so called "like you stole it". When the car is idling and warming up while idling the plug is dry and fuel isn't leaking.

I removed the plug and there is a tiny filter inside. I tightened the plug but as much as I can but it is still leaking.

Is it a known issue? How tight should it be? Does the plug has some kind of gasket?
What's the purpose of this filter? is it in addition to the fuel filter that is between the fuel pump and the carb?

Another question: my car is Weber 30/32 DMTE 35/150, I bought a brand new carb which ends in 30/150, the difference between them is the idle jet?
I mean some cars have the same DMTE 30/32 just with different jets, right?
the last digits are the jets size (idle /main?)?

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 72
It might be worth looking at your new carburettor, and seeing if the same plug has a visible seal on it?

As it's very odd that it leaks only after getting really hot, so it suggests to me that maybe there is a faulty seal. Or perhaps a fracture in the metal, that is allowing the fuel to pass possibly.

Haynes sell a Webber repair manual, that might have the technical information you need. You can find them second hand online, on eBay or Amazon etc.. Hopefully that might help you, to get to the bottom of the issue.

Back