Technical Leaking Diff seals

Currently reading:
Technical Leaking Diff seals

L33 HCX

Hiya Folks.

I've got a 2001 1.2 sx bravo.
Shortly after buying it a few months back I noticed both diffs were leaking oil, so changed the seals for genuine replacmenets but this didnt cure it.
Have now had the drive shafts replaced to, thinking these may be worn, but this still hasent cured it.
I'm at a loss now as cant see what else it could be, relaible mechanics inform me theres nothing esle that should cause them to leak.
Really dont wannt keep spending on trany fluid or have to seel her cheap becuase of this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lee H

Just a progress up date for any one whos been following this or having same trouble.

Last week I replaced the seal on the gear selector rod just incase the leak was coming from there and dripping down onto the shaft. Unfortunately this has had no bearing either.

Then the other day I did a full oil change as the manual states 75/80 but many websites and mechanics inform this is too thin, so now running with 75/90. Unfortunately again this has made no difference.

Really starting too dispair with this now as apart from this, shes a good runner. Debating one last ditch effort to take the shafts back off and check that the c-clips are catching properly and holding the shafts in tight enough.

If anybody has any further ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply but even if my OCD tendancies would allow me to just leave it, I realy cant because the tranny fluid is running straight onto the exhaust and causing harmful and odorous fumes!

Gonna do a full strip next week and replace the seals again aswell as the Cir-clips this time, and fingeres crossed this may cure it.

All the best

Further update for any one who is following the post or may have the same problem in future.

Had a good swing on the diff shafts this weekend and they are loose, seems both in a 360 degree motion and in an in and out motion. So deffintely needs new bearings and possibly the previous circlips are engaged properly.

So a call to the local motor factors for new diff bearings and another sunny day and hopefully all will be well.

All the best folks.

Latest update on this problem;

Got to work on the car again yesterday, Offside diff shaft was in quite tight and took some force to pop out. On comprison of the old seal to new FIAT official part it didnt seem to be any where near the same quality.

Quickly realsied though, to change the bearing it would be a Box out diff housing off job as there werent coming out externaly. Although a visual inspection showed that they seem to be ok.

Now the Offside Diff shaft literally jumped off itself and on inspection of the circlip, this has been fitted flush with the spline so obviously wasnt engaging and locking the shaft in.

So both seals were changed along with circlips and the shafts fitted back in propely, which now seem to sit alot deeper into the box.

The next few days and many dreaded drip checks will tell though.

Thanks all.
Lee H

Well its a sad day folks...

After a few days of no leaks I went out to check her today and I feel like I'm trapped in that film groundhog day. Oil leaking from BOTH shafts again!!

Think its finally time to throw in the towel and wave good bye to her before the next MOT. I've had a growing list of jobs i've needed to do if I could cure the leak but to no avail.

I could have the box taken out and bearing replaced which may or may not help, or even get a replacement box, but the £150 odd quid, added to the cost of a replacmenet sub frame £50-100 and a new cat £150-200, its just too much folks.

Not entirely sure what I'll do for a replacement as I was hoping to have her for another couple of years giving me enough time to save up for a new Bravo.

Thanks for keeping up with the post folks and sorry its not a happy ending.

All the best

Back