£6500 what next?

Currently reading:
£6500 what next?

The Merc 190 'E' series Cosworth can be had for next to nothing these days. Get the later 2.5 engine as the 2.3 had a habit of cracking exhaust manifolds regularly. They're totally unique to that model so not cheap! Quite a discreet looking car and very rorty to drive. Plus you get RWD (y)

Totally agree, I love the 190 Cossie! I'd prefer one over a C43 but I suggested the C43 purely because of the catastrophic depreciation they have undergone and the amount of car you'd get for your money. :)

Fiat coupe forum owned LE or Plus would be my suggestion...very hard to find more bang for your buck...there are some complete dogs out there for sure but for your budget you should get an enthusiast owned, no expense spared minter (y)

Or if you can push your budget to £8k, you'll be into TVR Griffith territory!!

Last edited:
Fiat coupe forum owned LE or Plus would be my suggestion...very hard to find more bang for your buck...there are some complete dogs out there for sure but for your budget you should get an enthusiast owned, no expense spared minter (y)

Or if you can push your budget to £8k, you'll be into TVR Griffith territory!!

I agree with the LE Plus comments.
TVR (y) but you have to say stop somewhere (n)
List is now

Alfa GTV
Coupe 20vt (le or plus.)
944 GT4 ?
MR2 90 -99
Celica GT4 or ?
RX7 (scary regarding repairs but so pretty)
Corvette?

Best I get off my butt and start looking...:D

RX7 isnt as bad as people always make out, if you give it some stick and change the oil every 4k the engine will last 60k+ before rebuild, and then its only a case of £1k for a garage to do it.

for £6.5k you can probably get one thats in good condition with recent rebuild.

how about an Audi S2? they are nice, rapid and you get the 5pot tune :cool:

RX7 isnt as bad as people always make out, if you give it some stick and change the oil every 4k the engine will last 60k+ before rebuild, and then its only a case of £1k for a garage to do it.

for £6.5k you can probably get one thats in good condition with recent rebuild.

I know two people who've looked after them meticulously and still one died and the other spontaneously combusted :eek: I reckon you would need rather deep pockets with that one :(

rx7's i have 3 friends who are RX crazy, and i will tell you this. if i get one more call to come help them fix it i'll go insane, everything in them breaks easily, nice cars and all, but a real PITA to keep running.

rx7's i have 3 friends who are RX crazy, and i will tell you this. if i get one more call to come help them fix it i'll go insane, everything in them breaks easily, nice cars and all, but a real PITA to keep running.

I know but that look soooo nice and blindingly fast :yum:

Looked at MR2 (y)
celica(y) (n) not sure.

So liking the GTV so thats the next on the list.....

Audi? Research required :)

the celica is tame compared to the integra, you cant even compare them imo.

parkers sum it up nicely "This generation of Celica - from 1994-1999 - was never an out-and-out sports car, it is more of a grand tourer, and it appears both expensive and outclassed now. The entry level 1.8 helps, but its handling and performance are well off the Fiat Coupe's pace. A car for the driver who wants to cruise quickly and reliably in relaxing style."

where as the integra "A driver’s delight, the Type-R offers race-bred performance from one of Honda’s advanced twin-cam VTEC engines. Handling and road holding is right on the mark, too, making it an exhilarating drive. Although the huge rear wing is a bit brutal, the Type-R has all the right credentials; a Formula One heritage, V-TEC engine, all-round quality and reliable engineering."

on paper the gt4 is 0.4secs quicker 0-60 and has 7mph more top speed. in real life the celica gets left behind. celica is for old men going though the second midlife crisis. integra is for men who can still go all night.

odd, my 89 GT4 is quicker than my 89 type R. i'll admit from factory thr GT4 leaves some desire for more, but so did the teg. and in all honesty there are alot more type R's on the road than GT4's. i have still to see another ST165 GT4. where i constantly see type R's. its not just about numbers in power in speed, its about haveing something thats not your every day run of the mill boy racer car.

oh you're talking about 1989 models, i dont know enough about them to comment, i've never been in either.

edit, quick bit of research shows the integra was just a civic is disguise in those days. celica was already into its 4th version and an established rally car. the tables have definately turned since those days.

Last edited:
personally I don't find the celica's that fast at all. I had a m8 with a 320bhp RX7, most of the time he got about 10-15mpg and it slaughtered him on fuel, which is why he sold it in the end lol, was a stunning car though!

I say go for the integra Type R DC2 JDM version, much nicer than the uk version

on paper the gt4 is 0.4secs quicker 0-60 and has 7mph more top speed. in real life the celica gets left behind. celica is for old men going though the second midlife crisis

Does he mean me? :D

Looked at some more celicas, decided against..there were 20 on the shop front!

Alfa GTV 3.0 was 'being prepared sir' (I rated a sir!) so I can't see that until Saturday.

No decent fiat coupes this way (least not in garages).

But

I saw a Scooby wrx 'n' with 88 kilometres and a fresh import. And I liked it !

OMG.
Anyone fill me in on what to look for? T'is £4000.

No decent fiat coupes this way (least not in garages).

But

I saw a Scooby wrx 'n' with 88 kilometres and a fresh import. And I liked it !

OMG.
Anyone fill me in on what to look for? T'is £4000.

I assume you mean 88k! Lol.

What to look out for, well a good service history is essential. The way the Flat4 works means that cylinder number 4 gets the lease oil and coolent, not a problem on well maintained standard one, but a neglected remapped one will suffer. Also the fact that its a turbo so good regular oil is essential.

The AWD system is pretty solid as is the rest of the car really, if a little bland IMO.

Obviously check car/exhaust on start up, when warm, and after a thrash to get a good idea of what its like, look out for heavy white smoke, black smoke and blue smoke - all are bad!

Clutches are a weak spot IIRC, but its easy enough to get a new one, especially as that car will leave you with 2.5k to play with!

Back