Laptop recommendations

Currently reading:
Laptop recommendations

The RM Asus mini-book thread has made me think about replacing my laptop for one which is a bit more mobile. Got a Dell 9300, which is pretty cool, but it weighs a f***ing ton. The Asus, especially with XP, is perfect except for the size of the screen.

So if these are the criteria in order of importance:

- Light physical weight
- Big, clear screen
- Cost!

What would you recommend?

It'll be used for browsing and MS Office stuff (I need the big screen to read some pretty detailed documents) so graphics card, sound card etc is not a big deal. Will run XP not Vista so no need for about 4GB RAM!

Ta (y)

Must admit I have reservations about second hand laptops but having looked at that x300 I'm quite tempted, it's the spec I want and should be able to get one for about £200 on ebay. Don't know about the external optical drive though. ANyway cheers for the recommendation (y)

Sony Vaio have some cracking laptops at really good prices [under £500]
i have just bought an Acer Aspire 5630 core duo 2 and that was under £500 as well.
the acer is better spec than the Vaio i dont think you,d get a Vaio with core duo 2 chip in it for under £500.

Take a look at the IBMs... Bulletproof build quality and good value for money.

Vaio's are great but certainly top-end of the market for price.

Issue you have here is...

Big screen and light weight = expencive.
Cheap and light weight = small screen.
Cheap and big screen = heavy.

Pretty much impossible to get away from that. Plus anything delivered with Vista might well not have drivers available in XP so that might not be a option.

the MAC bookpro is a nice machine , but im currently using a HP NC6400
this is a nice book as it has a fair amount of goodies with it.
ta
DM

To be honest I was thinking about getting a MacBook some day. I've had loads of experience with Windows and Unix/Linux OSes but not Macs, so one day it'd be nice to remedy that.

What about the weight? Is it comfortable to carry around? My Dell 9300 is 3.7kg and that's too heavy...I'm after something a bit more portable

hiya
Its much of a muchness really as i like the big screen and other tricks that come with it...3g..works well abroad ,especially as i am trying to move to East Coast USA....and is bullet proof...for me its a real performer....
DM

AMD Sempron Mobile Technology 3600+
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic - English
OR
XP home
1024 MB 667MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x 512 MB)
80GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 HyperMemory (integrated)
Microsoft Works 8.0 - English
Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini-Card - Europe
56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter - UK
4 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (29 Whr)

what about this for £233 posted new?

Back