Laptop Buying Help

Currently reading:
Laptop Buying Help

hi, i know there a load of threads on buying laptop, it's a big thing for me so want to get it right.

after my laptop has broken aswell as my old PC too, im stuck.

the spec i'd like:

Pent Duo not celeron/centrino
2 gig ram
100gb + HD
Dvd rw etc.
prefer widescreen.

i can scrape together together around £500 max but the cheaper the better, obviously not after a gaming machine for that money but ok-ish graphics would be a plus!

thanks a lot!

Well from my experience quite vast experience now with my new job.

Ones to go for:-

Acer
Dell
Compaq / HP
Most Medion's

Ones to Avoid:-

Toshiba - Tend to be slow for the hardware you get. Ive noticed this on all 20 laptops we have of different specs. I.e The same spec acer will be leaps and bounds ahead of the same spec toshiba.

Sony - Good laptops just on the pricey side for the spec you get

Well from my experience quite vast experience now with my new job.

Ones to go for:-

Acer
Dell
Compaq / HP
Most Medion's

Ones to Avoid:-

Toshiba - Tend to be slow for the hardware you get. Ive noticed this on all 20 laptops we have of different specs. I.e The same spec acer will be leaps and bounds ahead of the same spec toshiba.

Sony - Good laptops just on the pricey side for the spec you get

yeah the Sony i had before it was nicked was awesome but pricey.. couldn't afford another, Had a Cybercom one which are made by Medion but use all components made by other manufacturers such as pioneer DVD/RW etc,

just got a Toshiba to replace the Sony and to be honest im pretty impressed so far...

i just got a new laptop through from dell last week. 80GB HD, 1 GB RAM, Truelife display (Makes the screen appear shinier and gives a better pic) 2ghz processor, 1mb cache. All for 400 quid. Good deal IMO.

But my advice is stay clear of pc world, they talk a good PC but sometimes bit expensive, shop around and you should find what ur looking for, around that 500 bracket

i just got a new laptop through from dell last week. 80GB HD, 1 GB RAM, Truelife display (Makes the screen appear shinier and gives a better pic) 2ghz processor, 1mb cache. All for 400 quid. Good deal IMO.

But my advice is stay clear of pc world, they talk a good PC but sometimes bit expensive, shop around and you should find what ur looking for, around that 500 bracket

39 quid more you could have had 120gb hd, 2 gig ram and a core 2 duo prosc

I would suggest buying a desktop you will get soo much more (spec wise) for your money. I bought a crappy compaq dekstop for about £400 and put 4 gig of RAM in it which cost me about £50. and i will eventually upgrade the processor and grahics card. (y)

just got a 2.4ghz 1 gb ram and 120gb hd off my mate, 20 quid, still kinda need a laptop though

in that case go 4 it!!!(y) Tosh is the way to go

I beg to differ IMO. Might be ok when you got one as you don't know what speed it SHOULD run at but when you have as many as what I look after you realise your getting ripped off when the brand new toshiba won't keep up with a dell laptop thats over a year old with a lower spec.....

Last edited:
I had an acer, not the best make like. But stay clear from pc world. Anything from there breaks and they dont wanna know. Try aria.co.uk, cheap-it.com (might not be .com) e-buyer is always worth a look. That £400 is very good for the money like.

Back