S7300753.JPG

Lancia Delta II

Introduction

OK it's a Fiat Tipo floorpan with a different body, but it has Lancia badges and I like the interior more than the Tipo's;

cars_021.JPG

S7300753.JPG

S7300752.JPG

S7300751.JPG
i actually really like these now, before i'd only seen pictures of tatty base models, but yours is nice and also i'm in love with the 3 door 2.0 16vt in the same red.

probably the first car on the tipo chasis not to look much like a tipo, in any way! still love the 155, but still think this is nicer :eek: and i've liked 155's since '94 when i was 6!!

Me too - I like the 155 - but when I moved over to France it was the first time I'd ever seen the Delta II and I had to have one! I'd have liked a HPE turbo, but as a daily driver - that's not really practical, the 1.6i is OK, reasonably good on fuel, handles and rides very well, and is as comfortable as any new car - I made a good choice!
David

It's always saddened me that this car appeared about the time FIAT were getting really confused as to where to put Lancia in the grand scheme of things. It had a really illustrious sporting history, not only in rallying, but also in endurance racing, yet they decided to make Alfa the sporting brand and didn't know where to put Lancia.

It's arguable that Alfa have actually had less success in motorsports than Lancia. If you set aside the Alfa Tipo 33 and its cousins in the '30s, the Milaneses don't (in my opinion) hold a candle to the successes enjoyed by the Fulvias, Deltas, Monte Carlos and LMs.

Somehow, VW have managed to juggle Seat, Skoda, VW and Audi without any real problems, as well as adding Lamborghini and Bentley, so why FIAT had so much trouble with 3 brands is beyond me.

I think the lack of 4WD is perhaps reflected in the greater use of traction control and the TORSEN differential on the 2 litre turbo.

Back