Technical Lamda Sensor - where is it?

Currently reading:
Technical Lamda Sensor - where is it?

Pete Lemkin

I want to check my lamda sensor.
I've seen a couple of posts here where people suggest it.

Q. Can anyone help me to locate it?
I have M Reg Tipo 1.6 ie s

Q. Once I've found it, removed it, what should I clean it with - carb cleaner?

Thanks

Hi Pete.
It is probably in the same place as the Punto........threaded into the exhaust front downpipe, but can't say for sure.:) If it is, then disconnect the wiring at the front of the engine and unscrew the thing from the pipe. The wiring stays connected to the sensor so you will need a special spanner or a slotted socket. Don't bang it or drop it or even use "cleaning stuff" on it...it is VERY sensitive! [xx(]

All this should be done on axle stands or whatever from under the motor....

Hope this helps....Derek

Derek

i know people who wipe them on a soft cloth, but its not recomended.
what are your symptons if lambda is knackered it should only effect running when engine is warm.
you can get it tested at an mot center by sticking a probe up the exhaust alough this is not always reliable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not Email or PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead. Your reply may help someone else. Thank you

Symptoms are:

When driving, the car suddenly starts to alternately idle then rev high about once every 2 secs. Possibly started off by taking foot off gas (doesn't seem to happen during cruising or acceleration).

Won't respond to putting foot on gas - even flooring it. Just carries on going idle-rev-idle-rev-idle-rev. Only way to reset the engine is to switch ignition off/on.

This might happen 3 times in one short (15 min) journey... Or not at all for 3 days.

Have replaced thermostat (which was f*cked but not the cause) various rubber pipes (suggested here) but that was inconclusive.

Have had the computer chip checked out by garage diagnostic machine which reported that idle actuator may be going a bit pants - but I took their advice that the idle actuator could not cause this particular problem. Haven't replaced that.

Really like the car. Drives great. But this issue means you just can't be sure its gonna pull out when you need it to.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Ta.

PS - recently had MOT emissions test and lamda came out on high end of pass range. 3.1 I think. (from memory - probably still got sheet if useful) Rest of emission/combustion tests were very healthy.

Had a dig around and came up with the emissions test results. As U can see, the results are all great looking - except the lamda which is right on the upper limit.

(Legal limits in blue)
Fast Idle
Engine RPM (2500/3000) Result 2680
CO % VOL (0.30) Result 0.05
HC ppm VOL (200) Result 13
Lamda (0.97-1.03) Result 1.03

Natural idle
Engine RPM (450/1500) Result 870
CO & VOL (0.50) Result 0.03

So - is the lamda near fail relevant d'ya think?
Does it point to a possible bad sensor or is it more complicated than that?

Maybe it would help if I knew what lamba was a measure of....
I'll do some reading. Meanwhile - any pointers would be very welcome.

Hi Pete.

The Lambda (right spelling:D) is an oxygen sensor and it tells the ECU how much oxygen is in the exhaust gasses.........so that it can get the right mixture of air and fuel to the engine to prevent excess pollution, which is why it sits in the exhaust pipe. Any help?

Derek...If you know, say you know. If you don't know,then say you don't know....Chinese Proverb.

OK - I get that. Thanks for the info Derek. :).

Any interpretation of those emission results? Lambda being quite high? Maybe high is good? Any Sherlock-Holmes-type emissions experts out there? hmmm?

Back