kwik fit fitted up?

Currently reading:
kwik fit fitted up?

we not allowed radios when the shop is open. some official looking guy came in one day and said it breaking the law

cds only when there customers

so if I'm listening to the radio in my car, in a public place (say main street trying to find a parking place) I would have to turn it off, and throw it out the window, since its a public place and broadcasting such a thing would be illegal?

thats just a pile o wnk(n)

so if I'm listening to the radio in my car, in a public place (say main street trying to find a parking place) I would have to turn it off, and throw it out the window, since its a public place and broadcasting such a thing would be illegal?

thats just a pile o wnk(n)

no,because your not business premises

Tv licence is nothing to do with perfomers royalties.
its a complicated issue
eg a pub has a licence for its jukebox but if people have space to dance in X numbers they need a different licence.
same for hotels if they have live bands in,dances etc

Where does MCPS collect its money from?

Money is generated (through licence fees) from the recording of our members’ music on many different formats, including CDs, DVDs, television, broadcast and online.

Where does PRS collect its money from?

Money is due for any public performance of music, whether live or recorded, that takes place outside the home and from radio and television broadcasts and online.

What do MCPS and PRS do with the money collected?

MCPS and PRS pay money collected to their writer, composer and music publisher members. Both organisations are ‘not for profit’ and only deduct a small admin/commission fee to cover operating costs.

I thought to listen to radio in public was alright seeing as its free to listen to anyway.

I thought listening to CD's or MP3's would be against the law.

Why would listening to a Radio in public be illegal? Anyone can listen to radio. :confused:

it depends on the application.
you listen to your stereo in your car then its for your listening and anyone who can hear it is incedental

now in kwik fits situation you have a radio playing in earshot of customers on business premises.the radio station has to pay the royalites for playing the radio.
the argument here is whether kwik fit are playing it as entertainment for their workers/customers which is where it differs

this nuts, the radio has no warning on it like a cd does. how come the radio company broadcasting the stuffs licence dosent cover every one?
soppose you only put the radio on at work to hear the news but that station started playing music cant be your fault surley

Radio companies pay to BROADCAST the music...

The beef with the PRS is that a 'public performance' (what kwik fit having radios on in the background 'qualifies' as) also requires to be licensed. I cant remember the full in's and out's, but it's something of a minefield at the moment...:bang:

If the radio's are in the workshop, this is a restricted area which means the public aren't allowed to access it and therefore they are off the hook. Just because you can hear it in the waiting area has nothing to do with it. If the only intention is for the staff to listen in their own working environment, then it is not public performing.

Personally I think it is a stupid thing for the PRS to push for and the only reason they are doing it is that they have a national target so it's worth the money. They wouldn't do it to a one man tyre shop in a lock up.

I am assuming they have an employee licence or they are in trouble.

Last edited:
If the radio's are in the workshop, this is a restricted area which means the public aren't allowed to access it and therefore they are off the hook. Just because you can hear it in the waiting area has nothing to do with it. If the only intention is for the staff to listen in their own working environment, then it is not public performing.

Personally I think it is a stupid thing for the PRS to push for and the only reason they are doing it is that they have a national target so it's worth the money. They wouldn't do it to a one man tyre shop in a lock up.

I am assuming they have an employee licence or they are in trouble.

******** - The only difference with Kwik Fit is that they've chosen to fight it publically...

PRS are targetting other companies than Kwik Fit - small companies, shops, factories...I cant remember the numbers but I think having something like 7 + listeners is deemed, by PRS, a 'public' performance. It seems to be irrespective of the circumstance, purely a number thing I think.

Look in places like cornershops or factories, those who have been registered will usually display the appropriate sticker saying so.

I see it this way. There is a big difference between Kwik Fit playing music in their workshops or even in their waiting rooms compared with a nightclub playing music in a place where people COME TO LISTEN TO MUSIC AND DANCE. A night club plays music to attract customers to make money from them. Kwik Fit sells and fits car parts to cars, and plays the radio as background music for the people who work there or sit in the waiting room. In other words Kwik Fit plays the radio purely to while away the time whereas a nightclub plays music to people who pay to come and listen to it.

Also another take is this. People buy music (or maybe download/ file share these days...) when they hear it. If they don't hear it then they don't know about it and don't buy/ download it. How many people have heard a song in a waiting room, liked it, found out what it is and then went out and bought it? The playing of radio stations like this is SPREADING music for Christs sake. If Kwik Fit decided to say stuff it and stopped playing radios on their premises, then that's a huge amount of potential publicity for both the radio station AND the artists removed in one fell swoop.

Daft...

Back