kudos

Currently reading:
kudos

its financing people who take advantage of human generosity.

give £1 to the average charity and less than 25p makes to the 'cause'.

i once had a job which involved collecting charity donations, it was door to door cold calling. the british heart foundation were our main sponsor. you were trained to use guilt trip tactics on pensioners to get them to pay, and even worse things i'd rather not mention. it was all about targeting the weak and vulnerable to "milk them dry" as my trainer used to say.

i calculated how much money would actually go to the charity, it was less than a quarter of what i collected. we made excellent money in that job. you then have to remove the charity's own admin costs and the actual sum going to the cause is even less that 25%.

charity is a con.

I would be willing to pay more tax IF we got really good public services.

:yeahthat:

I agree. Lowering taxation is all well and good but what Governments give with one hand they take with the other. Public services don't run on air, they cost money like everything else. Sure you can reduce taxes but go too far and you end up like the USA where you get healthcare only if you can afford either the insurance or to pay for the treatment out of your own pocket. Same goes for education, transport and all the other public services.

I find it pathetic that some political parties still propose lowering taxes (Cameron already has) just to get the vote for the next general election. Stuff that, I want them to raise taxes by at least 2p and promise that every extra penny raised will ONLY go into the NHS, the educational system, the Police force, maintaining our roads etc. etc. etc.

So if paying a few extra pennies per pound in tax means that the UK gets better healthcare/ services etc. then I'm all for it.

I think there are more worthwhile charities. The lifeboats for example ACTUALLY save people and do a task that SHOULD be done by a government service. We're an island surrounded by water yet have no provision for government funded lifeboats.

Back