Technical Knocking sound from underneath

Currently reading:
Technical Knocking sound from underneath

sdobri

There is knocking noise (metal to metal) coming from my MK2 Punto, it is most noticeable when turning right. It is comming from either rear or central part of car(sounds more like from central but realy can't tell), definitly not from front. Knocking stops when I pull handbrake just slightly. Bought my Punto a month ago, and noise just showed up yesterday. I tried to shake a exhaust but couldn't produce any sound at all. Transmision is automatic CVT, Punto 1.2 16V Speedgear CVT. I susspect that rear brake shoe is broken or there is something wrong with handbrake cable. Any ideas?

"Knocking stops when I pull handbrake just slightly..."
I think this eliminates wheel bearing. I'm new to Fiats, but from my expirience, wheel bearing rather produce grinding than "clunk".

Hey, I don't know much about cars either. I have a cinq sporting and it has been clunking when I go over potholes etc. Garage told me it was a loose wheel bearing, but it turns out the brake pads they fitted aren't retracting properly, so the wheel isn't going round as freely as it should, hence the clunk.

Have changed quite a few wheel bearings and I agree with you they make a grinding, but I thought you had a metal on metal sound.

"I thought you had a metal on metal sound..."
It is a metal on metal sound, just hitting not grinding.
"...it turns out the brake pads they fitted aren't retracting properly"
Could be something like this in my case to, although I didn't renew my brakes yet. Maybe they are totally worn out, I didn't checked this and also have no car service history.

sdobri said:
"I thought you had a metal on metal sound..."
It is a metal on metal sound, just hitting not grinding.
"...it turns out the brake pads they fitted aren't retracting properly"
Could be something like this in my case to, although I didn't renew my brakes yet. Maybe they are totally worn out, I didn't checked this and also have no car service history.
I must admit the first thing I do when I buy a second hand car, even if it seems fine, is check it from end to end you never know what going on under there or what horrors,bodges, have been perpetrated by PO's. My best worse was a Porsche 911 I bought it 'cheap' it had all sorts of dress up stuff including a 'whale tail' spoiler but under the paint & underseal was a front crossmember fabricated from pudding concrete & chicken wire & this on a car capable of 140-150 mph:eek: . The whale tail spoiler cost over £600 a new crossmember including welding etc was £300 (1970's prices) can you undestand the logic of some people???!! I sold the whale tail & had the crossmember done. Some Tw*ts are people!

Back