General Knocking on rear near side

Currently reading:
General Knocking on rear near side

paulf1408

Hello, i have read with great interest about the knocking on the rear that seems to affect the mighty Stilo, mines an 02 plate with 153k and still going strong. What has started to really annoy me is the constant knocking from the rear near side, sounds like something is trying to punch through the floor, but after a short time, seems to get "better". Then when on a new journey, off we go again...I did feel that the rear bushes had to be replaced as everytime I went over a sudden raised portion in the road, the entire back end seemed to "thud". Has this happened to any one else and has anyone the correct part number for the rear bushes, are they still a pain to remove and fit? As ever, the help is greatly appreciated.

Current part number for the bush is 51840600. £21.85 +VAT each from Fiat. There's also reference to the part number having changed to 51840600. £17.37 +VAT each from Fiat.

Perhaps they've made them a few thou smaller otherwise, yes they are a pain to replace.

Although I expect several people will now post that they've done the bushes in 10 minutes in the dark with one hand tied behind their back and only a plasticine spanner. :)

I also had the rear end knocking a few months back, it got to the point where it was very irritating, it seemed to be worse over small bumps and less noticable on big speed bumps etc, was convinced it was the bushes, the exhaust mountings were all ok, then it suddenly just stopped and hasn't started up again since. Dont know if thats a good sign or not!

Current part number for the bush is 51840600. £21.85 +VAT each from Fiat. There's also reference to the part number having changed to 51840600. £17.37 +VAT each from Fiat.

Perhaps they've made them a few thou smaller otherwise, yes they are a pain to replace.

Although I expect several people will now post that they've done the bushes in 10 minutes in the dark with one hand tied behind their back and only a plasticine spanner. :)
No no!
Took us (me and my son) a whole sundayafternoon and we needed a lot of tools.
Sanding the bushings and having them in the freezer for several hours helped a good bit though.

gr J

Ordered the bushes, £18 something plus vat, luckily though i knew about the part number change, the garage didn't until he hit the drop down menu and " hey presto".
Being done thursday, at the same time as the front offside bottom arm, £111 to a friend in the trade, christ almighty.....
Will let you know how we get on

got the parts last night, the number was 51840600 and the bits were £ 17.37 + vat = £39.99 in total for 2 bushes. checked the bushes and they now seem to have a metal sleeve over the rubber, has anyone else had this or have they always been like this?
As always , thank you for the help.(y)

Abzstilo, thank you for that. looking forward to doing the job tomorrow now......:worship:

@ paulf1408.... If you have access to a micrometer or vernier gauge, could you measure the outside diameter of the metel sleeve on the new part number bush. I'd be interested to know if they have reduced the diameter.

I have just measured the metal sleeve and found that it is tapered towards the shoulder. It is 67.17mm and 67.35mm. the sleeve is 61mm between these distances and there is a2mm lip just before the shouolder, this is 67.41mm in diameter. hope this helps and will measure the openings on the "subframe" tomorrow. Hope they have have decided to reduce the interference fit as the bush is captive once the bolts are in place anyway.
ps. This is a genuine Fiat part.

did the deed last night, drives like a new car now. a lot stiffer and seems more responsive. Followed instructions from the forum, forgot the guys name but your my new hero... after removing the axle the fun began removing the old bushes from the shell. Did this by cutting out the centre and all thats left is the metal sleeve. Cut through this being careful not to damage the shell and punched it out. The shells measured between 0.15 and 0.2mm smaller than the new bush and the shell is oval by 0.1mm. thats quite an inteference fit. with a bit of filing and liberal amouonts of oil, in slid the new bush. By "slid" I mean after lots of sweat and groans, the vice pressed the bush into place. Lessons learnt: Have new brake pipes ready, mine snapped on removal, and if poss, a piece of tube that is lareger in dia than the bush but will still sit against the wall of the shell. This negates the need for balancing bits of steel and the axle, though that was fun...took 5.5 hrs including o/s/f wishbone.(y)

I had a knocking noise from the rear nearside of my Stilo Abarth, even over small bumps. Surprisingly noisy when driving over a pebbly tarmac car park, still handling okay(ish) on smooth roads and over rounded obstacles such as speed bumps. Steep-edged potholes would make a disturbingly loud noise too. The problem was the neasrside rear suspension bush - one of the two rubber blocks inside the bush had been forced off at some point, leaving an air gap most of the time (smooth conditions) or allowing the suspension to jarringly clash metal-to-metal . A new bush was fitted and that cured the problem completely. A side benefit is that the overall ride and handing now feels much more 'as new', so much so that I almost drive over potholes on purpose. It proved difficult to replace the other bush, drivers side, so the old one was left in place.

I'm glad I read this post.

My bushes were highlighted at last MOT as showing signs of wear, and sure enough clunk and bang special on anything buy a newly tarmac'd road.

I was considering doing the job myself, but I'm done with all day jobs, I prefer 1-2 hour jobs max.

So MOT is due in a few weeks, think I'll order the bushes and get my local MOT man to charge me for a new kidney.

Well that's the car fixed. Total cost £275 which included the bushes at £65 total and a new cv boot at the front.

Love it when the car cost buttons. I know the mechanic I used spent ages on the job but he charges peanuts.

So total cosy including MOT was a smidge over £300. But that, a home service and a recon caliper at £35 is all the car has cost me in 12 months motoring.

Fiat definitely stands for affordable in my books.

Back