General knocking from front wheel

Currently reading:
General knocking from front wheel

Any help on these matter would be much appreciated.

I have a Fiat Stilo 1.9JTD (05 reg, 27k miles). its an awesome beast of a car, fitted with side skirts, spoiler, and 17 inch anthracite alloys. and the skyroof as well - possibly the best feature.

I have noticed that when i start the car up in a morning the car seems to chuck out quite a bit of smoke from the exhaust for a few seconds, and is this normal (you can also smell it a bit if you have the windows down). I have noticed that quite a lot of diesel cars on the road shoot out smoke when they downchange or accelerate

Also, when i turn right on a bend quite sharply and going fast if the t=road is a bit bumpy, there is quite a loud knocking from the front right hand side of the car - is this anything to worry about that.

I had a few problems when i first picked up the car but they have all been sorted :).

The Stilo 3dr is one of the best looking small hatchbacks on the market i think, and is styled with real passion. I also find the insurance cheap being only 19, and the car goes like nothing else i have ever driven. The car also does lots of range on a tank fulljavascript:void(0) of fuel (nearly 500 miles the other day).

javascript:void(0)

Attachments

• Stilo 2.JPG
    Stilo 2.JPG
    432.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Your car is much like mine but I have the good fortune to have a yellow one. The smoking thing is normal for a JTD. Skyroof is great but if you have it lowered and remapped it becomes the second best thing. That knocking might be the drop link. I was advised on mine recently but I'm not so sure. Great car that you have.

many thanks and i absolutely love her. she is a beast.

do u think the work is sumthing i could get done on the warranty for the knocking, or should i just leave it cos it isnt to bad, it only seems to be noticeable to me. Maybe i should slow down a bit when going round bends.;)

I have never noticed smoke on start up. Perhaps you should just wait a few seconds for the glow plugs to heat up before turning the engine over.

The knocking. Does it happen just once when you hit a bump?

i will do, its gonna be about the 3rd time its been in for warranty repair work (n) , but oh well its an awesome car and even though it mite not be as reliable as someones toyota boring corolla (as they keep reminding me), its still my baby and i love her.

Hey I bought my car with 50k on the clock. Cost me about £500 to sort everything out and once fixed, the beast has not missed a beat. One of the most reliable cars I've owned.

Damn sight more reliable than the 1997 Vectra I bought with 23k on the clock in 1999.

At least my Stilo starts up every day without a fault, draws alot of looks (especially on sunny days when the roof is open) and gives me loads of MPG, not to mention MPH.

Great car.

pfft, i rather my stilo braking down than having one of those ugly corolas, what's the point of a car not braking down if every morning you go out and think, just another car.

It is true that even though Toyotas and Nissans might be reliable, they are just to dull and a bit boring.

They are built to be reliable and get you from A-Z, but not with mch style.

My Stilo on the other hand gets me there in style and everyone looks at me as i pass (usually as i overtake them), and they all go wow what was that - i hope, and not - look at that idiotic loon.

P.S. Does anyone think it would spoil my car if i put a Spongebob Squarepants window sucker in my car or would that spoil the whole image (i got it as a pressie last year and had it in my dull 05 plate Nissan Micra to liven it up a bit).

Nice car.

Keep taking it back to the garage and get them to fix the lot thats what you paid for in the price so get it all done.

Oh and get some decent pics ffs :devil:

Back