Knifing in a Birmingham primary school.

Currently reading:
Knifing in a Birmingham primary school.

My GF is training to be a primary teacher and during one of her observations today two 9 year olds went at each other with knives, not small kitchen knives (or even big kitchen knives) the sort you buy off ebay with special grips just for stabbing.

A 9 year old girl's throat was cut because she couldn't get out the way fast enough. My girlfriend was told not to go near them till they were finished as the parents can sue if the teacher tries to stop them killing eachother.

The girl survived as the cut was about 0.5cm to shallow to hit the windpipe.

The two boys involved have been suspended for a day, as there is too much paperwork to expell someone. One other boy pulled a knife but didn't use it, so he was let off

The parents didnt care either. One is more annoyed as the kid took his knife without asking.

The police wont do anything - they didnt even bother to give a reason, they just shrugged and left without leaving a card or taking any notes.

I just hope that the boys have their free day off school, maybe go to a theme park or something, probably taken to Mcdonalds and then maybe just MAYBE they may think twice about doing it in future.

thats the problem the teachers are scared to get involved because of the claim culture,

Look at school trips with unions saying dont do it,

A local school was sued as a child slipped and fell whilst playing on Ice in the playground,

they also cant administer even basic first aid without fear of getting sued For example if a kid falls in the playground they cant even give them a wet paper towel unless they are a trained first aider :bang:

seems to me the entire system has retracted to Leave well alone and do not get involved..

As for stepping in if they are going at each other with knives i wouldn't, how long till teachers are issued with Stab proof vests and battons??

The two boys involved have been suspended for a day, as there is too much paperwork to expell someone.
The paperwork for a permanent exclusion is not much more than for a fixed period exclusion. Add in the fact that the official guidance clearly states that permanent exclusion is the right response to the use of weapons in school. Complain to the governing body. when that doesn't work - and it won't - you can then complain to the LEA and the councillor with responsibility for education.I am amazed that the staff haven't gone on strike and refused to teach the kids.

The police wont do anything - they didnt even bother to give a reason, they just shrugged and left without leaving a card or taking any notes.
The kids are below the age of criminal responsibilty so they can't be prosecuted, cautioned, warned or anything else by the justice system. The only possible punishment is exclusion.

there's def something wrong here if no notes, or details are being taken, there is a report here, but it would be one of an incident, unfortunately, not a crime, reason? all parties involved, are 9 years old, under the age of criminal responsiblity. hence, no chance of a conviction, or even getting near a court.

bear in mind as well, plans are afoot to raise that age further, perhaps to as high as 18...the reason, well it has been argued that custodial sentences are harmful to youngsters, that children really aren't aware of their action, or even that in this day an age of a modern society, making someone "pay" for their actions, is somehow medival in its thinking.

Well when i was in secondary school my for tutor had a information booklet on, cant quite remember the topic, but it explained when you could get hold of a pupil and when to step in with a playground fight etc.
was a good read, lol

Now let anyone tell me they shouldn't bring back the cane for kids like that?
So if you get caught speeding you would be happy to be assaulted with a weapon and not fined?

The correct punishment for these kids is to be permanently removed from the school and taught in a Pupil Referral Unit until they are fit to be back in a different mainstream school.

i often took a knife to school when i was aged 8-11. i had a 4" hunting knife. many of the lads at school had a knife, it was a fashion accessory. a bigger blade meant a cooler dude. if you didnt have a knife and a lighter in your pocket you weren't cool. no one got stabbed, we never even had a single knife fight. i dont know what has changed in the last 20 years but at some point boys stopped seeing knives as toys and started to see them a weapons instead. i dont blame tv or games because all my favorite games and videos had ultraviolence when i was a kid, even family favorites like robocop had some disturbing scenes for a 7 year old boy but that didnt turn me into a killer. i really dont understand what has changed so much in the last 20 years.

i really dont understand what has changed so much in the last 20 years.

Two words: Political Correctness

Kids these days are not in fear of anything/ anyone and feel untouchable for their actions. Until badly behaved kids take the consequences for their actions again it will only get worse.

I want to emigrate to a kid free country. It will be good for one generation then there will be nothing left! :p

I want to emigrate to a kid free country. It will be good for one generation then there will be nothing left! :p

children_of_men.jpg

:eek:

i think consequences could be a major factor. i was beaten as a kid, a smack would be dished out almost every day, when i was really bad the leather weight lifting belt came out and you knew sitting down was going to hurt for a couple of days. that would be illegal these days. if i have kids i will beat them, even in public. my parents did it to me, their parents to them....; i'm sure our society and its methods that have been developed over hundreds of generations know what is best compared to the nanny state and their short sighted nonsense. if you love your kids you should hit them hard.

Last edited:
i think consequences could be a major factor. i was beaten as a kid, a smack would be dished out almost every day, when i was really bad the leather weight lifting belt came out and you knew sitting down was going to hurt for a couple of days. that would be illegal these days. if i have kids i will beat them, even in public. my parents did it to me, their parents to them....; i'm sure our society and its methods that have been developed over hundreds of generations know what is best compared to the nanny state and their short sighted nonsense. if you love your kids you should hit them hard.

From a scientific view point, physical punishment is actually the best course of action for children up to around 5 - 6 years old. The reason for this is that the human brain isn't developed enough to understand reasoning until over this age range. Thus below 5 - 6 years old, to make a child understand they are doing something wrong they have to punished in a way that registers. A smack is going to be far more effective than saying "don't do that, it's not nice".

Once above 6 years old you (as long as they've been brought up with morals and discipline) you can then use reasoning to explain why they've done something wrong.

But of course, the problem of how hard to hit a child comes into play. There's a big difference between punishment and abuse. However, a smack on the legs/ bum/ hand never did my generation any harm and at least we grew up knowing the difference between right and wrong.

I used to get smack on the hand/leg if I'd been acting like a twit, I've turned out fine!

I've noticed a huge difference in kids nowadays to when I was 11. They're all incredibly chopsy!

From a scientific view point, physical punishment is actually the best course of action for children up to around 5 - 6 years old. The reason for this is that the human brain isn't developed enough to understand reasoning until over this age range. Thus below 5 - 6 years old, to make a child understand they are doing something wrong they have to punished in a way that registers. A smack is going to be far more effective than saying "don't do that, it's not nice".

Once above 6 years old you (as long as they've been brought up with morals and discipline) you can then use reasoning to explain why they've done something wrong.

But of course, the problem of how hard to hit a child comes into play. There's a big difference between punishment and abuse. However, a smack on the legs/ bum/ hand never did my generation any harm and at least we grew up knowing the difference between right and wrong.

Nice in principle but when such a large proportion of 'adults' don't seem to understand reasoning, kids have no chance.

So just thrash 'em all........................:idea:

Back