General Keys

Currently reading:
General Keys

Chippy13

Hi

After passing my driving test last week I have bought a Fiat Punto but I know nothing about cars so sorry if I sound stupid!! My problem is that the garage only gave me a blue key. I've read about red keys and code cards but it all means pretty much nothing to me! I want to get a spare key incase I lose the one I have but my local fiat garaged have quoted me £185 which seems a bit steep.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper option, and can I get a remote key for my 03 Punto?

Thanks
Lauren

Hi

After passing my driving test last week I have bought a Fiat Punto but I know nothing about cars so sorry if I sound stupid!! My problem is that the garage only gave me a blue key. I've read about red keys and code cards but it all means pretty much nothing to me! I want to get a spare key incase I lose the one I have but my local fiat garaged have quoted me £185 which seems a bit steep.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper option, and can I get a remote key for my 03 Punto?

Thanks
Lauren

This sounds about right from previous threads i have read on here, when i bought my car i got a central locker a ignition key and a key which can only open the car, you could ask the seller if they have anything more

Hope this helps
Thanks matt :)

Hi , I've only got blue keys.But they gave me 2 of them when I bought the car.I think every car should come with 2 keys..Why did they give you only one??Both of my keys are the same , they open and start the car , but they don't have any remote control integrated.The central locking remote control is different (I think that the it was added from the dealer after the first owner bought the car)

You don't need a red key with a mk2. Mines a mk1 and has 2 blue keys and a red one. But with the mk2's they scrapped the red key idea and the code is stored inside the blue key. Hence why it's probably quite expensive to get a replacement from your fiat garage.

So don't panic, you have enough keys! (y)

When i bought my mk2 2001 punto, the fiat garage gave me 2 blue keys and a red one. They said the red key was the master key and to keep it safe but it doesnt even fit the car, doesnt unlock it or start it :confused:

In that case that same dealer will have sold a mk1 without its red key. I sure hope they don't do brake servicing with stupidity like that aplenty.

We did buy a fiat brava at the same time when we got the punto but that had its own red key. Did fiat brava's use the red keys ?

And the garage isnt very good lol. I never take it there coz the servicing people are crap. They told me the clutch in my punto had gone before when it was actually the gear box. They also told me there is absolutly no way to fix the punto's common juddering wipers problem without changing the motor for £90 with £40 labour, well i fixed that for a fiver my self lol. I asked about getting back speakers fitted in my punto, they said its impossible as no punto's have back speakers :confused: well ive done that my self as well.

Not a good garage, love my punto tho :D:p

Btw sorry for hijacking the thread.

Last edited:
Fiat Brava is from the right era to have red keys, certainly. They are telling porkies about the juddering wipers; it is actually the linkages themselves that are at fault, a fault that a new motor wouldn't fix. Do a search on the forum and you will find uprated wiper linkages that cure that for you. Nice job fitting speakers.

Chippy, have you found out what the red key was for? I am afraid that the cost of a duplicate will be high. On the mk1, you only needed to get the key cut (<£15) and you could program it yourself using the red key and the ignition.

if the code is inside the blue key on mk2's does that mean you could get a key cut from a local key cutting place?
Theres one by mine that has a machine to get the code and stick it onto a new key and charges about £30 for it

if the code is inside the blue key on mk2's does that mean you could get a key cut from a local key cutting place?
Theres one by mine that has a machine to get the code and stick it onto a new key and charges about £30 for it

no because the code on mk2 chips is variable as in it changes whenever it makes contact with the cars ecu, at least this is what I understand from it. On the mk1 the code is static and can be cloned by key cutting places.

Back