Technical Key problem...Advice needed.

Currently reading:
Technical Key problem...Advice needed.

liam2368

Hi.

My partner has purchased a mk2 punto today and the key (which is not a original by the looks of it) is really tricky in the door locks well it opens on the drivers door and locks on the passenger door but it works 100% fine in the ignition, so what i am trying to get it is that is it possible to get the key code from fiat and if so how much? Then would i purchase a blank from ebay or something? then get the key cut to the original code and hope that this will solve my problem but who can cut it for me to that code and any estimation how much that would be? what would be the full cost for all this?

I understand we will have one key to open the doors and another to start the car but thats not a problem.

Thanks in advance

Mite just be the door locks are worn,my mk1 is like that, was told atleast £45 for the key from timpsons and then another £7 to cut the key and would take them a week to get the key sent. If its geting to bad maybe change the locks from a scrap car.

The thing is you can get blank keys for £5 and i was estimating the price for the code from fiat to be about £15-£20? then get the key cut by a locksmith from code surely that wont be alot for for £35 it could solve my problems.

I thought about the locks but i would highly doubt the boot and both door locks would have worn to the same extent at the same time so im pinning my hopes on a worn key.

If it was the key worn then it would not be "100% fine" in the ignition.

try some 3 in 1 oil in the locks
they are usually better built than the ignition barrels that sometimes start giving problems at 50,000 miles and need stripping and rebuilding

An auto locksmith can make you a copy of your existing key if that is what you want. Sometimes if the plating is coming off the brass of the key it will stick in the lock barrel.
However as above I would first do some basics on the door locks, wd40 will clean the barrels, but not lubricate, so 3in1 is a good suggestion, preferably warm, or watch oil. You can also remove, strip and reassemble the lock barrels easily, then use graphite to lubricate as it doesnt hold grit.

Back