General key prices

Currently reading:
General key prices

I just enquired for a price £120 from this independant place in Birmingham.

There is a way around buying a transponder key.

Put the key you have with the transponder in it, remove the steering rack plastic covering to expose the ignition. attach you key to the ignition.

Before this get two keys cut without the transponder (no more than £10 for to i shouldnt think)

the car will "talk" to the fiat key with the transponder chip but you will be using the new keys with out the transponder chip.

I hope this makes sence???

I have heard this beening done quite abit but havent yet tried it myself. as any1 tried it? because i am considering it.

J(y)

Not worth risking it really though is it? There are plenty of oppurtunist theves around, just break in and give it a try. If you leave the key or transponder in the car (however hidden it is) the imobiliser will be disabled so they only have to get past the igniton lock.

Why help the theves steal your car?!?

the immobilisor will activiate when the key is removed. then is talks to the transponder.

then when u get in to drive away you put the cut key in and it talks to the transponder.

hense you still need the key.

Tho i wouldnt put the full key hidden by the ignition. just the transponder in the fob. - hence then the cant start the car with out both.

The imobiliser would deactivate if say you broke the igniton barell and turned it with a screw drive though aswell.

If you do this the only things stopping the thief stealing your car is the window and the ignition lock, no imobiliser as it will deactivate whenever the igntion is turned on, however it is turned on.

yeh i see what you mean.

but its crazy that fiat can charge silly prices to program a key to a car, and for any1 else for that matter.

I think ill have to wait and save

Prices are a little steep. . Another idea is to strap the transponder to your cut key with something strong so that it wont come off. That way your imobiliser will go off when that key and only trhat key starts the car.

I've worked in many makes of garage & believe me Fiat are actually amoung the cheapest;)

You have to get things into perspective...how much is your council tax or local plumber/electrician/lawyer etc. A genuine Fiat key is ordered by your vehicle details and I.D. (so no one can get a key cut for your car illegally) then this is looked up & a key cut to the matching number, sent to your local dealer,all this costs money. Also it is a good cut with a reliable transponder, if high st prices are less than half do you ever ask yourself why? I've had to deal with loads of customers with keys sticking in ignition barrel, or not programming correctly only to find they were obtained from the high st, no sympathy from me there.

Also remember code 2 systems must (can only) be programmed by Fiat dealership, moan as much as you want but this is for your security;)

Hi I find the price of fiat keys unbelieveable mine has no remote 2000w punto key cost £200 !!! for a spare key.Have got remote replacements for B.M.W ,s Merc and Vw at half the price! no wonder I can pick up a 2000 car in good condition for £150 ! Im sure Trading standards would have something to say about this as its a monopoly situation. If other manufactures can replace keys at lower prices then fiat are ripping us off.
Finally when they sell the car new they do not give you the codes, if you purchase the car you have all title to it including codes as this is part of the contract. First and last Fiat

Prices are a little steep. . Another idea is to strap the transponder to your cut key with something strong so that it wont come off. That way your imobiliser will go off when that key and only trhat key starts the car.

Should be able to pick up a compatible Fiat blank on 'the bay of dreams' - then you just need to have it cut and place your chip inside the key as per a factory ordered one.

Back