General Keep the Stilo?

Currently reading:
General Keep the Stilo?

hey, sorry for the delay, its an 02 abarth (the one with the colour screen ;))

yes it seems to be when i have it on intermittent/automatic, usually i notice when i get in the car and wipe off any dew/rain etc, just starts wiping and stops, the garage apparently had a hosepipe on it and left it running on the sensor and it didnt stop once (that they are admitting too), i dont know if it happens on full or not as i havent thought about it really.

and yes its a 3dr, the passenger seat controls are loose, and looking underneath someone has done some botched tape work in the past, i dont want to touch it as the garage could then claim its my fault, it did work though when they gave it back to me on weds evening, only at the weekend when i had a passenger in the back it slid forwards and now refuses to go back ... not very comfortable unless you are a midget!

Morritt said:
hey, sorry for the delay, its an 02 abarth (the one with the colour screen ;))

yes it seems to be when i have it on intermittent/automatic, usually i notice when i get in the car and wipe off any dew/rain etc, just starts wiping and stops, the garage apparently had a hosepipe on it and left it running on the sensor and it didnt stop once (that they are admitting too), i dont know if it happens on full or not as i havent thought about it really.

and yes its a 3dr, the passenger seat controls are loose, and looking underneath someone has done some botched tape work in the past, i dont want to touch it as the garage could then claim its my fault, it did work though when they gave it back to me on weds evening, only at the weekend when i had a passenger in the back it slid forwards and now refuses to go back ... not very comfortable unless you are a midget!

I occasionally get the wipers to stop on me, i panick, switch em off and back on, and hey presto, working.

as for the seats i've got that much broken glass in the tracks that it frequently gets stuck in one position. I just give it a bit of assistance with my whole body weight and it's fixed.

As far as I'm aware the Intermitten wipers work that way its all to do with the amount of water on the sensor[correct me if Im wrong]mine is the same I drive along it starts to rain I switch on the wipers the rain eases of so I switch to intermitten and they only will work AS intermitten if there is the correct amount of water on the sensor I'v even had mine wipe twice then not wipe again UNTIL there is enough water on the sensor to trigger operation I hope that clears things up for you Morritt and as I said someone correct me if I'm wrong over to you Rroope ;) Oh and forgot to say you can operate your wiper for a sigle wipe if you push the stalk up

yeah dont worry i know what you mean :cool:

but i mean stop in random positions like 1/2 way up the windscreen, or in fully vertical position, and it doesnt budge for 20-30 seconds, twiddle the stalk for a bit and nothing, even on full or pushing the stalk up, even pulling it to jet water on the screen and they still dont move, seems to be ok after 20 or so seconds like i said.

and the passenger seat is not just stuck in one position, it won't tilt or slide, lift up etc. although theres electric there as the light comes on for the heated seats. its a bugger stuck that far forward as the passenger has about 4" of leg room - at least its not me!

:eek: Oooops its not suppose to do that :bang: there was another thread a while back with the same problem and I think in that instance it WAS the wiper motor at fault have a search for it I would but I only have a basic knowledge of using this computer or maybe if SUPER STROOGLE is around he can point you in the right direction (y)

yeah i read one a while back, i think it was something to do with a dodgy earth (as a lot of elec problems are), just pisses me off that i TOLD them before i slapped down the cash that it didnt work, and they said they would fix it, still after 3 returns to the garage it doesnt work properly, and should i really take it back a 4th time in under 2 months?

Morritt said:
yeah dont worry i know what you mean :cool:

but i mean stop in random positions like 1/2 way up the windscreen, or in fully vertical position, and it doesnt budge for 20-30 seconds, twiddle the stalk for a bit and nothing, even on full or pushing the stalk up, even pulling it to jet water on the screen and they still dont move, seems to be ok after 20 or so seconds like i said.

and the passenger seat is not just stuck in one position, it won't tilt or slide, lift up etc. although theres electric there as the light comes on for the heated seats. its a bugger stuck that far forward as the passenger has about 4" of leg room - at least its not me!
yea, exactly what mine does., cept for the seat bit.. i'm a pauper, i have mechanical seats :(

Right, thanks for that Morritt, has cleared up a few things!

Wipers; yes could be a motor fault, but from what I remember my mum's Stilo (with automatic wipers) did this. The way I diagnosed this (you CAN do this but DO IT AT YOUR OWN WILL) was to disconnect the Rain Sensor behind the mirror (pop the little cap off); with the sensor disconnected, the Body Computer will switch to standard intermittent wiping function (i.e. as if you didnt have the sensor option fitted), and I used the car for a day or two like this, and noticed the wiper fault didn't reappear (it'll cause errors to come up and will also cause the headlights to go into emergency-on mode, but all my errors cleared once the sensor was plugged back in). Got a new sensor fitted (sensor was modified in 03) and the fault went away . . . If it's not that at fault, wiper motor it is!

Seats, electronic ECU is at fault here. Check the wiring, if not you could try disconnecting the power cable from it for an hour or so just to reset it, failing that it'll more than likely be back to FIAT to get that one sorted.

Hope some of that was useful. Let us know how you get on!

Back