DSC01316.jpg

Karbine's Golf Mkiv.

Introduction

Hey guys. As some as you know I sold my Punto mk1 and decided I wanted something different altogether. Something a little more luxurios spec wise and a nice interior.
So onwards and upwards I searched for a mkiv Golf.
Found one and picked it up last night from Newcastle with my Dad and Matty1303 from here.

It's got 104k on the clock and I paid £1250 in the end.
Paint work is pretty shabby but I'm not really that fussed. It's a 1.6 8v S (100ps) and has electric adjustable heated door mirrors, 5 doors with electric windows all round, PAS, adjustable steering wheel, 4 air bags, ABS steel wheels FTW! lol

I've got a few things planned but I'm not going to the extent of what I did with the mk1.
Plans are; Lower 45 or 50mm, OEM alloys maybe GTI or something (going to do a P/shop to see what they would look like gloss black), Debadge the rear and get a smaller Sharan badge and paint that black. Paint front badge too. And fit the box so that I have remote central locking rather than standard central locking. Maybe some other suggestions would be good :)

Anyway,, pics....
Status
Not open for further replies.
too big, too fat, basic, povery spec, wont hold its value though no one will want one because it isnt a diesel or a GTI, nice colour and in good nick though

wouldve gone for a focus over one of these everytime

Last edited:
too big, too fat, basic, povery spec, wont hold its value though no one will want one because it isnt a diesel or a GTI, nice colour and in good nick though

wouldve gone for a focus over one of these everytime
It may be poverty spec for someone whos been driving a while but I'm on my ~5 months driving and it seems pretty good for a 17 year old. I think the holding price thing is debatable, after searching for countless hours on eBay finding one cheap was a very hard challenge. Cheers for comment though :)
And Bennett at least comment or you too busy writing your diary?

Last edited:
It may be poverty spec for someone whos been driving a while but I'm on my ~5 months driving and it seems pretty good for a 17 year old. I think the holding price thing is debatable, after searching for countless hours on eBay finding one cheap was a very hard challenge. Cheers for comment though :)

I agree it isnt a bad car and agree regarding finding one cheap is hard, its because they are well built and the engines are good is why they hold their prices well

however it isnt the best car and they are absolute skin flints VW regarding toys, i think you shouldve got a focus for that money, you wouldve probably not had as long to find one, better equipment, zetec petrol engine is a good one and you wouldve got the best handling car in that sector...fact

But the focus scene is crap, VW scene much better can see the attraction for a young lad like yourself wanting one, but for me not that one you have bought

Last edited:

I didn't see the need to comment as applesei expressed my views pretty well hence the thanks.
And as for the sly digs I am bigger than that and don't feel the need to reduce myself to childish insults with well a child tbh

Built like a tank, those. I had a similar era Passat with the 1.8T engine a few years back.

Spec. level isn't all that shabby - does it have aircon?

I wouldn't do too much to it, as you'll completely destroy any residual value in the car - a set of proper VW alloys is about as far as I'd go.

After Fiat / Alfa, VW are my chosen brand - I've owned 3 now (MkI Golf Cabrio, Passat 1.8T SE and 'new' Passat 2.0TDI SE)

I agree it isnt a bad car and agree regarding finding one cheap is hard, its because they are well built and the engines are good is why they hold their prices well

however it isnt the best car and they are absolute skin flints VW regarding toys, i think you shouldve got a focus for that money, you wouldve probably not had as long to find one, better equipment, zetec petrol engine is a good one and you wouldve got the best handling car in that sector...fact

But the focus scene is crap, VW scene much better can see the attraction for a young lad like yourself wanting one, but for me not that one you have bought
Regarding the Focus. I think the older shapes "X" plates are damn right ugly, like the fat alone girl at the prom. That would have been more my price range.
The latest shape is stunning though, Dads got a 08 Zetec cdti and it handles like a go cart, so fun :)

I've always wanted a Golf or a Punto. I got both. About the last part you said, I don't see why the one I bought is wrong though?!
I don't want to sound like I'm boasting but look at the absolute state my mk1 was in when I bought it and to what it looked like when I sold it.............................

Built like a tank, those. I had a similar era Passat with the 1.8T engine a few years back.

Spec. level isn't all that shabby - does it have aircon?

I wouldn't do too much to it, as you'll completely destroy any residual value in the car - a set of proper VW alloys is about as far as I'd go.

After Fiat / Alfa, VW are my chosen brand - I've owned 3 now (MkI Golf Cabrio, Passat 1.8T SE and 'new' Passat 2.0TDI SE)
It doesn't have Air con. I could have opted for the SE 16v with Air con but it was a group higher insurance.

:whogives: About the Value drop on a car that costs £1200. Rag it for a few years and if you sell it for a few £ then bonus. Veedubs will hold their value no matter what spec TBH. Well more than a Fiat anyway lol
I have lost about £2500 on my car over 2 1/2 years and a further £1500 on mods.

The latest shape is stunning though, Dads got a 08 Zetec cdti and it handles like a go cart, so fun :)

Had one of those as a company car last year - Focus 1.6TDCI Style.

The most hateful heap of junk I've ever had the displeasure of 'owning'.

It was so bad that the Prius is a whole order of magnitude better.

:whogives: About the Value drop on a car that costs £1200. Rag it for a few years and if you sell it for a few £ then bonus. Veedubs will hold their value no matter what spec TBH. Well more than a Fiat anyway lol
I have lost about £2500 on my car over 2 1/2 years and a further £1500 on mods.

OK, some don't care. But there's also the ease of resale to consider - it's much easier to shift something like that as standard - they sell well to families looking for a reliable 2nd / shopping car.

Kept standard and tidy, that'll retain just about all of its value over the next few years.

Modified, it'll be worth peanuts. And cost a whole chunk more to insure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back