Technical just got meh Cinq headgasket fixed and . . . .

Currently reading:
Technical just got meh Cinq headgasket fixed and . . . .

woodins

Want to know if these running temperatures are ok:

Sorry about this, i just got her back form the mechanic. Took her for an extended run (did not give her any serious hammer, didnt go over sixty on motorway). I got no confidence at the moment and i drive around with one eye permanently glued to the temp gauge (where you guys like this after getting headgasket fixed?). Here are the temp speeds:

Motorway/A roads: 65-70 C.
Round my "manor": 80 C.
Stuck in London-style traffic: 90 C before fan kicks in and knocks it down to 85ish. In traffic bounces between 85-90 with fan cutting in and out.

I know it was mentioned in the styling section, but because i have got a wee bit of a complex now with regards to the car temps im gonna get me dad to fit a fan over-ride switch so that when im stuck in heavy traffic like queing for the blackwall tunnel on a wednesday morning i can keep the car permanently cool. When i turn the switch off however it will operate as normal and cut in and out as normal.However, would you say the above temperatures are quite typical for our hot-headed little italian ladies?

Seems fine, if anything seems low for the motorway one but youve not really caned the car.

90-110 degrees seems to be mentioned a lot on here, im guessing this would be the average

haha memories of when i did the head gasket on mine........one eye constantly on the temp guage wondering what was normal :D if u want it to run cool all the time why not take the thermostat out all together? mine doesnt have one and it runs at bout 50-60 on a normal run, and even canin it. then in traffic itl stay at 85-90 when the fan cuts in n out

65-70 on the motorway is way too low. You are running on a stuck-open thermostat. Change it as it is no good to run that cold, makes the ECU think the engine is in warming up period and alters the ignition and fuel accordingly.

You'll get higher consumpsion plus bore washing due to excessive fuelling and plugs carbon fouling...

No worries Asteris, gave her a bit of stick today (not saying how fast i went :) ) and the motorway temp was on the 80-85.

SkinzCinqSporting said:
Foot flat for 140 miles yesterday and gauge never went above 82 degrees, fuel guage, that was a diferent story!

Dare I suggest that on your private test track the flow of air through the front of the car at that sort of speed would be sufficient to cool Drax power station.

Its high revs in low gears with low air speed that causes more problems.

Glad to see you are running it in properly!

Cheers

D

Mine runs anywhere between 75 and 90 dependant on how much hammer she's getting.

Motorway is usually about 80-85 at 70-75 mph.

Round town is usually 85-90.

Cinqs definitely are hot-headed little ladies!

adrian1987 said:
why not take the thermostat out all together? mine doesnt have one and it runs at bout 50-60 on a normal run

Thats way to low mate, you wanna fix that, yes they say a cool engine is a happy engine but your engine is COLD not cool, thats gonna causee damage in time

Drax power station has a private track that leads all the way to gaydon and they wanted to see if cinq's are a good replacement for cooling towers ;) as for running it in properly, I cant believe I have torque at 80mph+!

Before my cinq had a new radiator and water pump fitted last year, she was running around 90ish degrees on the motorway of speeds up to 75-85 mph. Now on a steady 70mph run I’m looking at 60-70 degrees and a bit of hard driving on the motorway I’m seeing around 80 degrees. If sometimes after sitting in traffic, I’m a little worried about the temp sitting at 90 degrees just a little too long, I’ve always put the heater to hot and the fan speed to 2, helps just to bring the temp down to stop me from worrying.

I've always changed the coolant on a yearly basis, although it does state every two years. I tend to use an accurate 50:50 mix with pure mineral water, works a treat.

Sam

SkinzCinqSporting said:
You are more paranoid than me ;)

Me?? My brother has a Rover 200 and as everyone knows, HG is as common problem with the K series....think he has done this to me, Im constanly looking at the red needle floating up and down the temp scale...can honestly say that I look at that gauge more than the fuel gauge!!

Sam

funkycinq said:
Me?? My brother has a Rover 200 and as everyone knows, HG is as common problem with the K series....think he has done this to me, Im constanly looking at the red needle floating up and down the temp scale...can honestly say that I look at that gauge more than the fuel gauge!!

Sam

I drive to the temp gauge but theres no need for me to anymore ;) and yes I was referring to you :)

Back