General just done rear discs + bushes. Pics, Q's and notes

Currently reading:
General just done rear discs + bushes. Pics, Q's and notes

Had the afternoon off so got stuck on with the job in hand.

I love taking pics to help others so here we are:

The disc conversion - goodridge hoses, brembo discs, 240mm non vented, alloy callipers.

DSC00006.JPG

The powerflex conversion - rear arms all done (front done a while ago).

DSC00009.JPG

An outside shot of the wheels/discs.

DSC00010.JPG

I noticed it offset the wheels changed when i did the conversion, closer in! Didn't see any mention of this before, but my wheels wouldn't go on lol.....good job i had the 4mm spacers handy (y) as clearance was VERY close before, but after the conversion (before the 4mm spacer) about 3mm too far in....so contacting the arm!

Brake pedal is much farther, but i'm sure that's a bedding/bleeding issue.

Handbrake isn't linked up yet, unsure what to do here lol...more reading before I start PM / asking ;)

One hose is a bodge as they didn't have the fitting....its a female to male adapter as shown....I will be getting another one made up though.

Enjoy (y)

Kristian

heh, you didn't quite look hard enough then
arc or Aaron, can you confirm that the drums mounting flange is about 3mm thicker than discs or has someone painted 3mm spacers onto my drums?

I noticed this when doing my bushes on the Cinq as I had to take the handbrake leavers out of the drums to get the rear arms off. I'm in the same position as you with this as well the Abarth rims only just clear the trailing arms with 2.5mm spacer, so now I know I'll need 6mm or 8mm spacers at the rear. (y)

Very possibly, I'm running ET35 not ET30 at the rear on my Sei, and with ET37 the rear tyres don't clear the rear swing arm (195/50R15 or 195/45R15 tyres) and aren't your wheels ET35?

Should add the tyre/rim combo I've had on the rear are J6x15 ET34.5 with 195/50R15 and J6.5x15 with 195/45R15 ET35.

Last edited:
Done three conversions and not had any change whatsoever or had to use spacers that were not used before. Though we do use 3 mm spacers on the 6" OZ wheels, but did before as they came too close to the suspension arm, on the Sei with Abarth wheels, no change, no spacers but they are 5.5" ET36. On my CInq I had 6" ET35 Mo's and didn't use spacers before or after conversion.

I am very surprised when people say they have a longer peddle as on all the conversions I have done the peddle has become much firmer and with much better feedback to what is going on.

35 36 ish, can't remember but 6" wide, so closer to the arm than a 5.5" anyway

Before the conversion it was about as close to the arm as it is with the 4mm spacer now, about .5mm clearance.....its been ok for about 10K but coulod do with a change ;) now that's more feasable as i can buy 5-6mm hubcentric...couldn't get hubcentric small enough before...offseting the disc in has cured that :)

Kristian

I am very surprised when people say they have a longer peddle as on all the conversions I have done the peddle has become much firmer and with much better feedback to what is going on.

To be honest its prob me bleeding in the dark, in a rush, on a slope lol..i shall do it properly tomorrow (y)

On a separate note, do you not have any issues running the handbrake cable under the arm? Surely suspension movement will pull the handbrake cable tighter?!

I'm going to vu off the end, spring and plastic bit, and try anyway, but seems wrong lol....you just unclipped it and let it run under?

Cheers,

Kristian

Handbrake cable has to be completely removed from the route it is going in now over the suspension arm and rerouted under the suspension arm. You then cut off the loop on the end leaving the swagged section, remove the spring and the plastic retaining section and link it up, job done.

Can be seen on here

DSC_0211.jpg

Yeah just taken a look at the tyres and my 195/50R15 Bridgestones are about 10mm at the widest point wider than the 195/45R15 GT Radials.

Yep, got a print out of that pic lol

just making sure what i saw in the pic was reality....I'd expect issues doing it like that, but, if all's good then i'll give it a go tomo (y)

Now, am i tempted to do it early moring and try bedding the pads in knowing i then have a backup if they fail lol.

Kristian

To be honest its prob me bleeding in the dark, in a rush, on a slope lol..i shall do it properly tomorrow (y)

On a separate note, do you not have any issues running the handbrake cable under the arm? Surely suspension movement will pull the handbrake cable tighter?!

I'm going to vu off the end, spring and plastic bit, and try anyway, but seems wrong lol....you just unclipped it and let it run under?

Cheers,

Kristian

There are no issues running it under as opposed to over, the suspension still moves no matter which way it goes only differance is this time it is the compression rather than expansion that stretches the cable.

It is secured underneath, it has to be for MOT, which all our cars have passed with the rear disc conversion with ease. I wouldn't have a handbrake cable hanging down, I use some thick tie-wraps which TBH are stronger than t rubber hooks that are on my integrale and many other cars with cables that run under the suspension.

I,m not being sarcastic or anything but i dont see what the reasoning is behind fitting discs on the rear :confused: why would you need better brakes at the rear on such a light car?

I like to fiddle.

The drum handbrake is a pita, this works much better (i hope)

easier servicing once done.

I have a lot more power than normal so extra braking is a plus

Helps balance the bigger brakes i have installed up front

It looks cool

A bragging right

Cheers,

Kristian

I,m not being sarcastic or anything but i dont see what the reasoning is behind fitting discs on the rear :confused: why would you need better brakes at the rear on such a light car?

It's harder to lock up discs delivering the same braking power as drums, looks good & apparently better peddle feel. And on centos it gets rid of the problematic drum handbrake mech.

There are other light cars that have rear discs, Lotus Elise, Renault 5GT Turbo to name two that are under 900kgs and have approx 120bhp in there basic forms which is not much more than some cento's put out.

Though again pointed out, a drum brake will lock up before a disc brake due to its nature as a drum is a powerful braking device, they are still used on buses and trucks for this reason, where they fall down is heat dissipation, they are by nature enclosed therefore retain heat, whereas a disc is exposed so gets rid of heat quicker so doesn't fade an attribute embraced by quick car owners.

i did it because my drums were dead, and i wanted to.

something i have noticed with my rear discs, even though they are 240mm - the pad does not seem to be contacting with the whole disc, i've not measured how much of the disc is not being used.. but if i had to guess, i'd say it is 13mm.

aaron - have you noticed this at all? and kritip - can you keep an eye on yours to see how it works out. I suspect to actually use the full 240mm disc, you need them newer swanky looking calipers.

aye. what im thinking is that with it being the same caliper as the UT - even on the puntoGT it only actually uses 227mm of the disc. when i finally decide to go home i'll get some pictures of it!

Back