Technical just changing drums not shoes

Currently reading:
Technical just changing drums not shoes

donniemateno

just wondering can you change just the drums on a car?

the missus' car has a worn pair of drums but shooes have a gd 3/4 mm on thread

just wondering could i just change the drums

tis a seicento has done 81000 miles and the drums didnt have a lip which i have already rubbed down when the car was at 72000 miles and now has another lip, the lip must be about 1-1.5 mm all around

all drums have a tollerance max size and this should be stamped on the drum. you should always change as a set but 81000 these should be fine what problem ya got

just brake pedal feels spongy

have bled all breaks changed one wheel cyclinder as was leaking, pads are fine discs have a tiny lip and the drum shoes are in good nick and the drums look worn but it passed its MOT a few months ago however it was on the brink of failing on the rear brakes it met the minimum requirement

i thought its spongy ill monitor the brake fluid level maybe a leak in the master cyclinder probably most costly job hasnt moved since the test.

remember, brake fluid loves water (hygroscopic?) & water and air are easier to compress than brake fluid. It's possible that if you had a leak then air or water or both have entered the system.
On the other hand, we have a Renault bus at the depot which many refuse to drive due to the nature of the brakes - mechs have changed everything but it's a frightening experience trying to stop when you're not used to it.

As to your OP, it's not, normally, a good idea to change a drum/disk without also doing the shoe/pad at the same time as uneven wear/faults on one can impact on the other, especially these days as linings seem much harder & drums/disks seem much softer.

ah fair doos i guess will be my best bet to change both just i had changing brake shoes those damn springs **** me off!

thing will buy a new set instead of using the old ones

drive backwards and jam on the brakes as the adjusters on these are a slipper fibre washer and are a pita. However you should also pressure bleed them

just brake pedal feels spongy
... but it passed its MOT a few months ago however it was on the brink of failing on the rear brakes it met the minimum requirement

Just a thought. If it was on the limit with the rears then it's possible that it's just the handbrake adjuster (unless the shoes were low as well?).
Not sure how yours works but these are prone to not working properly & so the shoes have to move further to work whereas the adjuster normally takes them to within a hair of the drum.
Worth having all the bits off & making sure everything moves as smoothly as it should?
With the drums off, you should see the adjuster taking up the slack each time you pull on the handbrake cable.

Last edited:
well one of the adjusters were changed i fink o/s/r

what I might do is just take thr drum off this weekend and get a picture/video to upload here but it's all very weather dependant!

if its bolox likes its been recently with random hail might have to give it a miss as I live in a flat and get no shelter from the elements to work on the car what so ever!

EDIT: by the way does anyone here lives in the west sussex area? just if I have to tackle some more difficult tasks and I dont know where to start if someone would be willing to lend a hand , for beer money fo course, would be appreciated in the future

Last edited:
Back