Technical Just bought 54 plate Barchetta and having problems!

Currently reading:
Technical Just bought 54 plate Barchetta and having problems!

TorinoFiat

New to the Fiat forum and just bought a 54 plate Barchetta at the weekend and all seemed fine ... until today. Stalled twice en route to work and once on way home (although annoyingly husband has since taken it a run and it didn't stall once!) and engine management warning light has come on and won't go out. Any ideas or advice? :confused: Thanks!

Took the car to the fiat garage and they put out the engine management light and the airbag light. They informed me that the speed sensor was intermittant and that the airbag light was due to the passenger squib. It has since stalled one more time so I don't imagine I've seen the last of it! What is this 'twitch' that you speak of? Is it the idle control valve? Unforunately it was a private sale so I'm unable to take it back to a garage.

There have been many posts from members concerning intermittent running, stalling at low revs, lumpy tickover etc. My 97 car has always had a lumpy tickover and requires extra revs to stop it stalling, particularly when hot. Another member, Ricky952, recently started a thread (idle control valve stepper unit) which is on the previous page of the more recent threads. Ricky solved his problem with a new Idle Control Valve and I have bought the same part but not fitted it yet. The thread is worth a look because members with Mk2 cars have posted on it. I am no expert when it comes to Barchettas but there are many, very helpful and friendly folk on here. Hope you get the car sorted soon.

Steve

I have a similar problem with my B. Here's how I make it a whole lot better:

When starting the car, place you foot all the way down on the clutch. Keep it there. Turn the ignition on and wait for the engine management light to go out. Now listen for the fuel pump stopping. When the fuel pump has stopped, turn the key and start the engine. Starting like this has help my car more than anything else I've tried. Seems like the ECU is taking too long to read something at startup, so maybe the extended startup sequence allows it enough time.

But if I just jump in the car and turn the key to start the ignition, I have a horrible idle and jumping RPM. To be honest, I still suspect the RPM/crack sensor has a problem.

I have a similar problem with my B. Here's how I make it a whole lot better:

When starting the car, place you foot all the way down on the clutch. Keep it there. Turn the ignition on and wait for the engine management light to go out. Now listen for the fuel pump stopping. When the fuel pump has stopped, turn the key and start the engine. Starting like this has help my car more than anything else I've tried. Seems like the ECU is taking too long to read something at startup, so maybe the extended startup sequence allows it enough time.

But if I just jump in the car and turn the key to start the ignition, I have a horrible idle and jumping RPM. To be honest, I still suspect the RPM/crack sensor has a problem.

Hello,

About the stalling at low revs, I solved his problem with a new Idle Control Valve (20 eu on Ebay). My car was running like a "........" and now it's like almost new :).

About the stalling when turning on, I have this problem only when I park the car in the sun...

I some of you found the problem, please tell me.

Back