Just about to finish uni - advice on career path?

Currently reading:
Just about to finish uni - advice on career path?

skinner05

Hi, well im about to finish my degree at uni in sports journalism. However, i dont really want to go into journalism now. So i have that degree, 3 a levels, 8 gcse's.

So im after some help on what would be a good career path to go down, such as things that are likely to be in demand for years to come etc. I feel i would be well suited to management and have looked in to such courses in the nhs as i have already been working for 3 years in the nhs so opportunites are that bit better.

any help/suggestions would be apprecaited.

dont be a nhs manager no one will like you

:yeahthat:

Scurge of the NHS!

If you want an in demand job for the future just about anything in the professional medical industry is good. However, most medical professionals need at least a university degree to get on the first rung of the ladder which will mean you having to go back to University.

Also expect the 'management' side of the NHS to change in the next few years as many health workers feel that there are simply too many of them and that most have no idea of what issues really needs to be considered. Even if you could get a position there then surely they'd want management qualifications and/ or experience at working in the NHS?

Why have you changed your mind after doing a sports journalism degree?

Just hasnt been what i hoped it would be and to be honest it was a case of not knowing what to do after college and this degree sounded half interesting and fancied wasting 3 years of my life :bang:

Have always wanted to be an air traffic controller for some strange reason, so might look down that avenue

Depends as what Dave. :rolleyes: Many hospitals believe that managers need experience of working on the front line in the delivery of medical care to be able to understand NHS needs fully. It all depends on what the past experience is.

Just hasnt been what i hoped it would be and to be honest it was a case of not knowing what to do after college and this degree sounded half interesting and fancied wasting 3 years of my life :bang:

Have always wanted to be an air traffic controller for some strange reason, so might look down that avenue

J333 EVO (Arran) on the forum is an air traffic controller, so maybe ask him what is required to get into that industry? I don't think it is easy though and will require a lot more training.

Considered market research? There are companies (mine has a subsid) that do research about sport, sponsorship etc - get into an international field and there are good opps to travel. All big agencies have a grad scheme :)

Last edited:
I have a degree in Media Technology Science (not bloody media studies!), 4 a levels 10 GCSEs & after applying and going for lots of graduate jobs and not getting them as thousands of other graduates also applied for them. I ended up leaving uni and starting a job i could have got after college, and worked my way up to what i do now, albeit quickly because of the degree ( working in about 6 roles for same employer in 4 years- starting new teams and projects sideling my actual job)

My mate got on a graduate training scheme with a retail store, now has his own store in the Arndale in manchester, but is probably on less money than me for a lot more work. Other uni mates went onto to get degree related jobs are still earning about half of what i earned last year 5/6 years later.

Its up to you at the end of the day what u wanted to go for, i worked as well whilst being in uni, finished uni then temped for a bit then went perminant. I have had employment since my paper round at 14 (even worked the shop at 16 before i moved on) so no gaps in my employment on my cv which is what can deter some employers

Last edited:
What do you do now then?

Im thinking i should never have gone to uni and gone straight in to a job, such as accountancy. Which i may still go in to but its just that feeling of being 3 years behind where i could have been thats putting me off

What do you do now then?

Im thinking i should never have gone to uni and gone straight in to a job, such as accountancy. Which i may still go in to but its just that feeling of being 3 years behind where i could have been thats putting me off

Requirements for a University degree depends on the job. If you work for yourself then you don't need any qualifications at all. However, many professional jobs these days (like the healthcare professionals I mentioned above for example plus teachers, surveyors, pharmacists, IT analysts etc.) require a minimum of a degree to start work in a qualfied position. You can't just work your way up to these professional positions from an assistant position, a relevant degree is mandatory.

You need to research the careers you're interested in and then see what (if any) qualifications are required. Only then can you decide whether you can tackle your chosen career path with or without further study.

Good luck!

I get slagged for that sometimes!

However, not everyone is younger than you in most work place, and it tends to be the younger ones straight out of school. When I first got my job with this company (well a smaller part of it) i had to a bloody hard act to get it as the employers attitude, and most attitudes of that time were, 'youve got a degree which means you wont be in the company 5 minutes.... why should we give you a job?' What they now realise 5/6 years later is that actually alot of people with this qualification (degree) now work for them in non-graduate roles and actually stay within the company and build a career, and at my last interview for an internal position (which i got) it wasnt mentioned at all, infact it was praised upon. How times have changed

My nephew got a degree in something relevant while he was training to be a Quantity Surveyor and at 25 - he started training at 18 - he has gone through a MGF, BMW 320 and now an Alfa Spider as company cars and along with his gorgeous girlfriend (hate his guts) who also has a degree and is an Assistant Store Manager with John Lewis they have just bought an apartment
in some uber-trendy area of Newcastle-on-Tyne.
You could try the Police, great job security and pension when you retire. You could be a Sergeant in 2 years and then go as high as you want. The Chief Constable of Greater Manchester, Michael Todd was 44 when he got that job,
which was partly made possible with a degree. Unfortunately he has since committed suicide, but to be fair that was nothing to do with the job.
All I'd ask is that you do something worthwhile with your career choice and don't become some pointless government flunky. Good Luck.

My nephew got a degree in something relevant while he was training to be a Quantity Surveyor and at 25 - he started training at 18 - he has gone through a MGF, BMW 320 and now an Alfa Spider as company cars and along with his gorgeous girlfriend (hate his guts) who also has a degree and is an Assistant Store Manager with John Lewis they have just bought an apartment
in some uber-trendy area of Newcastle-on-Tyne.
You could try the Police, great job security and pension when you retire. You could be a Sergeant in 2 years and then go as high as you want. The Chief Constable of Greater Manchester, Michael Todd was 44 when he got that job,
which was partly made possible with a degree. Unfortunately he has since committed suicide, but to be fair that was nothing to do with the job.
All I'd ask is that you do something worthwhile with your career choice and don't become some pointless government flunky. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice.I have often thought about the police and will look in to this more closely in the coming weeks i think. Would love to be a traffic cop and get some of the muppet/loony drivers in this country of the roads.

I don't think it will matter. There is such a high demand of Uni grad's that they are having to go into jobs like call centres, etc. I quite uni after 3months, have 4 A-levels, and 14 GCSE's and I was incredibly lucky to get the job i have now

I don't think it will matter. There is such a high demand of Uni grad's that they are having to go into jobs like call centres, etc. I quite uni after 3months, have 4 A-levels, and 14 GCSE's and I was incredibly lucky to get the job i have now

Don't you mean low demand?. Well in the IT industry there is anyway. In IT nothing beats experience I've worked with a couple of people with degree's and their lack of knowledge in certain areas is appalling.

Whats your fitness like? if its good what about the armed forces?. Once you got a degree you can go straight in as an officer (damn good money right from the start :)). I'd suggest RAF as you seem to get 'dicked' the least :) (y)

High output......not demand apologies. Personally, the gov are fookin silly. Pushing as many people as they can into uni. Do not agree

After putting some serious thought in to things over the last few days i have narrowed down what i would like to do. Those are, police, accountant, air traffic controller in the RAF or weapons system operator in the RAF. Gives me a wide scope of possiblities to apply for and i guess i will see how things go

Back