Technical Just a quickie...

Currently reading:
Technical Just a quickie...

Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
1,269
Location
Northampton
Should be off to the local scrappies tommorrow. Just wanted to clarify what Fiats I can get hold of uprated calipers from? Obviously Punto GTs but some Bravos as well??? Any help would be appreciated (y)


BTW had a look at the sticky but just wanted a bit more "confirmed" knowledge before I buy the wrong things!
 
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
5,167
Location
Kent
Duncan said:
Should be off to the local scrappies tommorrow. Just wanted to clarify what Fiats I can get hold of uprated calipers from? Obviously Punto GTs but some Bravos as well??? Any help would be appreciated (y)


BTW had a look at the sticky but just wanted a bit more "confirmed" knowledge before I buy the wrong things!

Any model bravo/a has the uprated calipers, but the 1.8+ has the vented type disks whereas the lesser models have the solid disks :) I believe the marea ones are the same also...
 
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
5,167
Location
Kent
should do in theory as they're the same diameter etc. my only doubt is the width of the vented disks fitting in the calipers which usually have solid disks. they should fit, but im not 100%...

Why not get the tarox or mintex or whatever disks n pads for the relevant bravo/a or punto you get the calipers for?
 
OP
OP
Duncan
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
1,269
Location
Northampton
Luke1985 said:
should do in theory as they're the same diameter etc. my only doubt is the width of the vented disks fitting in the calipers which usually have solid disks. they should fit, but im not 100%...

Why not get the tarox or mintex or whatever disks n pads for the relevant bravo/a or punto you get the calipers for?

Sorry, should have said, that was a theoritcal question! Obviously I would get the right discs but was just wondering. Spose the bravo/brava is a much bigger car so even the entry level ones need bigger brakes.
 

Badger_Benji

New member
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
417
Location
Lincoln
The discs are two different thicknesses, buying the non ventilated gets you the diameter, i.e. the braking power, but on use, they will suffer more heat problems, unlike the ventilated.

So you want to be looking for ventilated discs on the car you take the parts from.
 
OP
OP
Duncan
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
1,269
Location
Northampton
Badger_Benji said:
The discs are two different thicknesses, buying the non ventilated gets you the diameter, i.e. the braking power, but on use, they will suffer more heat problems, unlike the ventilated.

So you want to be looking for ventilated discs on the car you take the parts from.

I'm not gonna be putting OE fiat discs on the car, will be getting Tarox or Mintex :cool: So should I just go for calipers from a ventilated car even tho I'm not taking the discs? Probaly won't be any Fiats at all in my local scrappy after all this!

Also, gonna get some Goodridge Brake hoses today :yum:
 
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
5,167
Location
Kent
peaster2k said:
Which of the following calipers do bravos / bravas have ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-BRAKE-CA...ryZ10382QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

https://www.fiatforum.com/showpost.php?p=667918&postcount=60

As I would like to get a hold a set in the 2nd link.

Thanks

David

Those are proper GT brakes by the looks of things. You would need to get a set of a 1.8 bravo/a, those 1.6 ones posted would have solid disks...

Also, those calipers dont look all great, probably find they'd have sticky cylinders
 

Hellcat

zombie nation
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
28,517
Location
on the A684
peaster2k said:
Which of the following calipers do bravos / bravas have ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-BRAKE-CALIPERS_W0QQitemZ4621680918QQcategoryZ10382QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

https://www.fiatforum.com/showpost.php?p=667918&postcount=60

As I would like to get a hold a set in the 2nd link.

Thanks

David

Note.. The brakes in the 2nd link are solid disc.

Edit. No they're not!

You can get them type from a few sources but they'll be like gold dust.
1.4 Punto GT
2.0 Tipo 8v
1.8 Tempra Stationwagon
2.0 Tempra
1.9 Tempra TD
 
Last edited:

peaster2k

New member
Joined
Jan 19, 2004
Messages
1,323
Location
Washington, United Kingdo
Luke1985 said:
Those are proper GT brakes by the looks of things. You would need to get a set of a 1.8 bravo/a, those 1.6 ones posted would have solid disks...

Also, those calipers dont look all great, probably find they'd have sticky cylinders

It was just an example, would not buy them. Ideally I would like to get a pair of calipers that handle vented discs and are the same as the ones in the 2nd link. My question really shouold have been do any bravos / bravas or anything other fiat cars have the same calipers as the ones in the 2nd link?

Hellcat said:
Note.. The brakes in the 2nd link are solid disc.

I thought the same, took me a few looks and a message to aaron to relise they were vented.

Thanks

David
 

Hellcat

zombie nation
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
28,517
Location
on the A684
Yeah took a really close look to realise.. I've edited my post with the other cars to keep an eye out for..
 

Hellcat

zombie nation
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
28,517
Location
on the A684
Yes you have much, much more chance of finding a set of the spring-secured new style. They're a better design to be honest as the sliding pin on the old style has a knack of siezing, the newer design has a nice pin that cannot sieze. Only thing I don't like about them is the spring which tries to take your fingers off as you release it!
 
OP
OP
Duncan
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
1,269
Location
Northampton
Got some from a 1.8 Bravo, picking them up next week (they've gotta remove them first) These are gonna be ok aren't they? Gonna get some Maxtorq discs from Rally Designs. Got goodridge brakelines as well. 14" Rondells next week, then I'm just waiting on the engine conversion :devil:
 
Top