Technical Jumpy and jerky running

Currently reading:
Technical Jumpy and jerky running

Been meaning to get this sorted for a while now, what's happening is my car is running very rough at low speed. It has a very harsh jerk when I either release or engage the throttle when off the clutch st low speeds (approx 5mph), this is the same no matter how delicate I am with the throttle.

Also yesterday I was in traffic not on the brake, clutch or throttle and the car started surging forwards and backwards, forwards and backwards until I interfered (extremely annoying).

Now, this is most noticeable in first gear and first gear only most of the time, BUT it has happened before in 2nd but not as bad at all.

Also let me clear up what I have done on the car since owning it -- full service (sparks, plugs, filters, oil's, oil breather pipe, new exhaust system, cleaned tb, changed gearbox mount)

Also recently suspected a lambda fault as was getting a recurring code indicating an issue "above catalyser 1", after swapping over the sensors week or so ago, the code hasn't returned..

Also have access to MES, which shows no fault

Any ideas appreciated, air leak seems obvious, engine mounts?

Sticky throttle body?? Someone with more mechanical knowledge will reply soon but this is my first thought

Also let me clear up what I have done on the car since owning it -- full service (sparks, plugs, filters, oil's, oil breather pipe, new exhaust system, cleaned tb, changed gearbox mount)

^ Ht leads?

is the main gearbox mount all good?
the one underbattery tray,

Plugs? did you use irridium ones?
they get eat in 16valve engines otherwise,

HT leads are frail in these especialy now with the extra heat from the sun,
i Use Kerr & nelson ones, good quality at a sensible price that last's,.

^ Ht leads?

is the main gearbox mount all good?
the one underbattery tray,

Plugs? did you use irridium ones?
they get eat in 16valve engines otherwise,

HT leads are frail in these especialy now with the extra heat from the sun,
i Use Kerr & nelson ones, good quality at a sensible price that last's,.

Forgot to put down ht leads; changed them when I changed the plugs, yeah they are iridiums :)

im not quite sure about that mount, is it visible from engine bay (with tray removed i imagine)?

thanks

Forgot to put down ht leads; changed them when I changed the plugs, yeah they are iridiums :)

im not quite sure about that mount, is it visible from engine bay (with tray removed i imagine)?

thanks

The mount isnt 100% clearly visable,you can get a view of the rubber on it,
battery tray off job idealy,
this mount isnt cheap to replace..unlike the dogbone. so id go in scrappy yards if needs be.. that if it needs replacing,

normaly when these are on the way out you will feel engine shift back wards when you turn engine off...simalar noise to when exhaust rubber is a gona on back box,

The mount isnt 100% clearly visable,you can get a view of the rubber on it,
battery tray off job idealy,
this mount isnt cheap to replace..unlike the dogbone. so id go in scrappy yards if needs be.. that if it needs replacing,

normaly when these are on the way out you will feel engine shift back wards when you turn engine off...simalar noise to when exhaust rubber is a gona on back box,

hmm ok i will give it a check, but im not 100% if it sounds like that but will give it a look,

i was suspicious about the other engine mount on the left that attaches near the timing belt as there seems to be movement in that from left to right if i remember rightly, how much movement should there be within this?

hmm ok i will give it a check, but im not 100% if it sounds like that but will give it a look,

i was suspicious about the other engine mount on the left that attaches near the timing belt as there seems to be movement in that from left to right if i remember rightly, how much movement should there be within this?

(how much movement should there be within this?)
theres is movement in them but not much,

get some gloves on and grab hold of a none breakable solid item on engine and give it a rock/tug,
if theres excessive play somewhere you will find it,

what is it like on the drive...is there plenty of power in it?
or is it hesitant?

(how much movement should there be within this?)
theres is movement in them but not much,

get some gloves on and grab hold of a none breakable solid item on engine and give it a rock/tug,
if theres excessive play somewhere you will find it,

what is it like on the drive...is there plenty of power in it?
or is it hesitant?

ive done this and the engine rocks a bit left to right, will do it again tomorrow,

hmm thats a hard one, most time i would say its nice and feels nippy but then like lately it has been very rough, jerky at low speed but the power is still there when it needs to be -- its a hard one to explain and diagnose :confused:

Engine mount is worn on mine,(the one under battery tray)
car still runs normal, can feel slight engine movement on switch off,

mine started running rough when alternator got moody,
worth checking alternator... bearing's wear out in them and its more work for the engine,.

have you tried a throttle re-learn.?
if youve done anywork on engine recently-ish
its worth a try,.

switch ign on leave for 1min dont start engine,
after 1 min start engine..leave it to tick over until rad fan cuts in,

works on mine anyway..

then go for a steady..5 mile -10mile ish drive ...mpg will be up and down like yo-yo until ecu as relearnt ,.

have you tried a throttle re-learn.?
if youve done anywork on engine recently-ish
its worth a try,.

switch ign on leave for 1min dont start engine,
after 1 min start engine..leave it to tick over until rad fan cuts in,

works on mine anyway..

then go for a steady..5 mile -10mile ish drive ...mpg will be up and down like yo-yo until ecu as relearnt ,.

never knew this, will try this see what it does :)

Engine mount is worn on mine,(the one under battery tray)
car still runs normal, can feel slight engine movement on switch off,

mine started running rough when alternator got moody,
worth checking alternator... bearing's wear out in them and its more work for the engine,.

Had battery tray off, seems to be quite a bit of movement on the mount, doesn't look to healthy either,

Will put pics and vid up, see what you think -- quite a bit of side to side movement, also still a hissing noise coming from alternator area I think

[ame]http://youtu.be/Skmpeprz72A[/ame]

Attachments

• 1406994384409.jpg
    1406994384409.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 1406994395318.jpg
    1406994395318.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 39
Back