General jumping out of 5th gear

Currently reading:
General jumping out of 5th gear

brianfixit

my nephew has a problem,when the car reaches about 45 mph it jumps out of fifth gear,has anyone had a similar problem and if so can give us advice to fix this. fiat 500 2011 model thanks

I can understand its a Dualogic system - that means its a problem with the whole unit and this needs a replacement - not a fix! only replacement

Welcome... I presume you're not from the USA where they have automatic 500s... So - is it a manual or is it a Dualogic (semi-auto?)

And which engine - 1.2, 1.4? The gearboxes are different. I'm guessing not a 6-speed so not a 1.4?

If it's a five-speed and only happens at a certain speed then it seems likely to be an actual mechanical fault in the end housing of the gearbox. On other models it has been known for the main shaft nuts to come loose which leaves the synchro hub for 5th flopping around. The nuts can be checked without too much difficulty by taking the end cover off.

Is there any problem with jumping out of reverse as well as 5th? That would suggest a selector cable problem.

-Alex

Last edited:
I can understand its a Dualogic system - that means its a problem with the whole unit and this needs a replacement - not a fix! only replacement

Not at all, thats what main dealers would have you believe as the can't / don't know how to diagnose, and its easier for them, but its simply not the case (y)

Well thats true, but the problem is that i have not yet seen any successful repair for the Dualogic system without replacing the whole unit, the system keeps on failing after few months, i think its because of the "older" version of the Dualogic robot and the lack of professional knowledge with this system.
The old robot pump will also "whine" when opening the door for about 10-12 seconds, the newer one about 6-7 seconds, so there's definatly a change - but i have no clue about the reliability of it.

Thank you for the replies. I can confirm Alex it is a 1.2 (he lives in Kilmarnock) and wonder if you would know of anyone who he could take it to, I understand there is some company in Rutherglen have you any recommendation .Would be grateful for any help. It is not happening in any other gears and only jumps out of gear when he goes over 45

Ok some people will die but if you ain't dead it only takes a few minutes to update or offer some kind of conclusion to the thread, this really pisses me off.

The manual gearbox has a selector rod on the top which slides and rotates. It's all inside the top cover so easy to look inside without getting to the actual gears. I have a done a few that needed new oil seals. The internal cam is pinned to the shaft with a 4mm roll pin. Every one I have done had a broken pin. It's possible yours has broken and is allowing the cams to slip.

The manual gearbox has a selector rod on the top which slides and rotates. It's all inside the top cover so easy to look inside without getting to the actual gears. I have a done a few that needed new oil seals. The internal cam is pinned to the shaft with a 4mm roll pin. Every one I have done had a broken pin. It's possible yours has broken and is allowing the cams to slip.
It was 2016. I just commented because I find it infuriating that it seems to be a trend on any type of forum were people get the help they wanted and never return and don't think that it is polite to at least give a conclusion in order that it may benefit others in the future. Across all forums there too many unresolved cliff hanger threads. Sorry for the rant but feel better for saying it.

I agree about unresolved threads, but I don't bother to check the post dates. Any information is just as relevant now as any other time.

I agree about unresolved threads, but I don't bother to check the post dates. Any information is just as relevant now as any other time.
Yes mate agreed. I was not having a pop at you for what you added, you offered a possible solution and of course a relevant and worthwhile addition in helping others with this issue. Perhaps the O.P. may come back one day and reveal the what the solution was.

Back