Technical JTD: white smoke...

Currently reading:
Technical JTD: white smoke...

Billy The Kid

First of all - welcome everyone,
been reading the forum for quite a while now, but this is my first post. Hope that someone will be able to help:)

Problem: my stilo JTD (115, actually 121 bhp;) ) smokes white when cold, not always, mostly when on the 3rd gear, between 1300-1800 rpm... I accelerate very slowly until the engine gets warm... I know that JTD engines have a tendency to smoke, but until now I only noticed it at night.
It's not the coolant leaking into the engine - it's level hasn't changed for ages;)

Things already done:
-all filters new (air, diesel, oil)
-air flow meter new
-egr cleaned

I heard that things like the Wynn's injector cleaner can be dangerous for the injectors.

So what say you;)

Thanks, it could be condenstation... And what about that - I can see (but not always), while driving at night, something like a slight fog (when someone drives behind me and makes some light)... The worrying thing is that it happens not under hard acceleration but while I'm doing let's say 50mph/5th gear:(

Brake fluid level OK? Fluid leaking through the servo and ending up being sucked through the inlet manifold produces a very white smoke and a particular smell that's difficult to describe but a very unique odour.

Brake fluid level OK, as well as the coolant level(I've alrady mentioned that), neither any strange smell...

7 Litres /100km = 40.4MPG.
What sort of driving are you doing - town, country, mix?
Are you located in the uk or in a warmer/cooler climate.
Nonetheless, 40MPG could be a bit low.

If its not condensation in the exhaust system, it is likely oil is being burnt.
This could be down to the breathing system. A check you could do - Follow the pipe coming from the rocker cover (at the top of the engine) that goes to the intake of the turbocharger - joining the concertina'd pipe. There is a jubilee clip on the turbocharger joining to this concertina'd pipe. Undo the clip and inspect the inside of the pipe. If there is a lot of oil (but there will always at least be a light film of oil), possibly including white sludgy stuff, this indicates problems with the breathing system and could cause smoke.

Maybe worth a try?

7 Litres /100km = 40.4MPG.
What sort of driving are you doing - town, country, mix?
Are you located in the uk or in a warmer/cooler climate.
Nonetheless, 40MPG could be a bit low.
?

I'm doing 90% town, mostly huge traffic jams, but as far as I know a consumption below the 7l mark (or 40mpg) is acceptable. Polish climate? Freezing:D

Today, surprisingly, the stilo smoked only a little, only under very hard acceleration:confused: I also didn't notice the fog at night - I'm happy with that, but why doesn't the car behave the same all the time?

Thanks MrLovaMan, it's worth trying!

EDIT: After reading other threads, I have a suspicion that my EGR valve wasn't cleaned properly, another possibility is that it's simply broken...

Last edited:
i get something simillar to that but only under heavy acceleration, and as far as i know, thats normal for a diesel. unless theres no funny smell, loss in power, change in fluid levels, it should be fine (y)

oh, and unless the smoke is blue, thats when your in trouble

unless theres no funny smell, loss in power, change in fluid levels, it should be fine (y)

oh, and unless the smoke is blue, thats when your in trouble

I know that, but thanks anyway, blue smoke means oil in fuel, and it means trouble, possibly turbocharger broken...
That's my 6th or 7th post but I know a few things alrady:D
Been reading a lot and visiting Polish forums - but I think I like this one better:worship:

And no, there's no loss in power (121bhp@250 Nm measured) - and that means the EGR is working properly indeed... I just can't stand that THING I sometimes see in my mirror at day. My father's i-ctdi Honda doesn't do that;)

Back