Technical jtd Timing Belt

Currently reading:
Technical jtd Timing Belt

hi just wondering how much it should cost to change my timing belt i have been quoted 87 for a timing belt kit and 65 for fitting it this about right cheers

i paid something like £250 for changing the belt and £68 for the pulley which then became a recall item :bang:

at a fiat dealer in newport.

If its a recall item you should be able to claim the money back, if you have the receipt.

Not entirely true. Depends on the case.

If oz changed his timing belt and pulley due to age/mileage, in accordance to FIAT service instructions, then the fact it was recalled is arbitrary - he still had to change it at that mileage, so I doubt costs could be reclaimed.

Are they original Fiat parts?

ps Might be a good idea to get them to change the water pump whilst they have all that lot off. Will probably need doing at 100k anyway.

yeah there fiat parts i will get them to change the water pump do you know how much that part is the car has only done 40000 but its five years old and dont want to chance it

Mines just passed 5 years old, so really need to be thinking about the belt kit. Even though it's only done 35,000 miles.

Now where did I put my cam locking kit

As I mentioned in a previous post, when you take the belt off, all the pulleys/idlers/tensioners slacken. They are used to run under tension and the bearings have worn in under the same tension. Release the tension, and the bearings will relax just slightly. relaxed bearings in components will eventually wear down and fail. This applies to the water pump as much as everything else cam belt driven.

For the cost of a water pump and the coolant, its not worth risking the engine.

I made the mistake once...never again.

Last edited:
Back