Technical JTD running cold

Currently reading:
Technical JTD running cold

Temperature should be right in the middle of gauge, like on this video:
Only small drops are possible, when you start using heating or going half a mile downhill...

So many conflicting views.
I have to say, mine was dead central unil a few days ago, and now it's up and down. I really don't think it's anything to do with the external temperature - it was 15C yesterday and it was doing it - it's been colder than that in the mornings during the summer. So something has changed. I'm assuming it's a dodgy thermostat stuck open - but the question is, do I replace it or like many on here, just live with it?

Hmmm... interesting, I had a Mitsubishi Carisma diesel before the Grande, this also ran cool after a while. I asked for the thermostat to be changed, it was & was no different, it turned out that the plastic housing the thermostat was in had cracked, allowing coolant to by-pass the thermostat... Me? I'd check it out rather than having my coolant suddenly dumped somewhere dude...

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Found this - looks like a better price...

405331021.jpg

Second hand thermostat could be worse than the one you have now.

eLEARN seems to make a meal of changing the thermostat. I've never done one so don't know whether all this is strictly neccessary. eLEARN often over complicates things. Looking at mine, it does look well tucked away though so the main problem is going to be access to it.

Attachments

• JTD Thermostat 1.JPG
    JTD Thermostat 1.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 53
  • JTD Thermostat 2.JPG
    JTD Thermostat 2.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 44
  • JTD Thermostat 3.JPG
    JTD Thermostat 3.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 30
tangerine, its not just your one that started running like this a few days ago. Mine did as well, what i did notice is that as soon as i am in town the temp goes up to the middle.

Was wondering if there's any sort of lubricant you can add to the coolant that might just release a sticking thermostat - Forte fule additives have good reviews, and they do a coolant system conditioner - would something that claims to lubricate water pumps free up a stat?

But it can't surely be the outside temperature, can it? I'm confused?

Nah... even in a cold Winter when I had my Grande, it heated up to the centre of the scale... even if it did take a bit longer to get there with the heater on lol!

Its just not that cold yet so something must be wrong if its not in the middle. I wouldnt want to spend that on a thermostat tho. Id keep an eye on the coolant and mpg and leave it.

Cant see what all the fuss is about ? Shadeyman is right just leave it.
What bad symptoms do you have ? Its meant to fluctuate obviously , when you are stood nose to nose in traffic as opposed to pottering along at 60mph .

Whoever said its meant to stay in the midlle no matter what is wrong, if theirs does they should worry!

Is your MPG going ...NO is the heater working ...yes, is the car driving fine ...Yes, so why look for problems ??
If you want to look for problems come & help me scratch my head over a TVR I have then you'll know problems ...Lol
Mine does exactly what yours is doing & my average MPG is 53.7mpg

What bad symptoms do you have ? Its meant to fluctuate obviously , when you are stood nose to nose in traffic as opposed to pottering along at 60mph .

Whoever said its meant to stay in the midlle no matter what is wrong, if theirs does they should worry!

Is your MPG going ...NO is the heater working ...yes, is the car driving fine ...Yes, so why look for problems ??
If you want to look for problems come & help me scratch my head over a TVR I have then you'll know problems ...Lol

Thermostat & temperature controlled cooling fan are there to do just that oddly enough. I for one can honestly say my temperature gauge NEVER moves from optimum once it's warmed up, traffic or no traffic.

You really haven't a clue mate! (n)

And for one the heater in the car won't be working as effectively as when the thermostat is working properly! I can vouch for that myself!!

I've had 3 Stilo's now and the temp guage on all 3 moves slightly depending on weather conditions, how and where I'm driving, heater settings etc.

None of them have ever moved significantly above half way, a couple of degree's at the most, but all of them have moved below, especially during cold weather with the heater on full.

I find this completely normal and I'm suprised others don't especially when the User Manual says its normal. :shrug:

Found this in the handbook, so I guess it's normal behaviour...

ok0sp5.jpg

Last edited:
I've had 3 Stilo's now and the temp guage on all 3 moves slightly depending on weather conditions, how and where I'm driving, heater settings etc.

None of them have ever moved significantly above half way, a couple of degree's at the most, but all of them have moved below, especially during cold weather with the heater on full.

I find this completely normal and I'm suprised others don't especially when the User Manual says its normal. :shrug:

A few degrees but others are on about 10-12 degrees from what theyve been saying and that isn't normal.

Does yours move as far down as the first line below half? Once warm?

Back