General JTD Punto turbo problem!!!

Currently reading:
General JTD Punto turbo problem!!!

Hope someone can help ! . .
Out the blue my 2002 punto jtd has suddenly developed a problem.
The turbo doesnt work until about 5 mins into the journey it suddenly comes on and works as normal.
There is no problem with it at all unless i stop, let it cool down and it happens all over again on restart.
If I dont let it cool down fully, say going to a shop for 10 mins then i only get no turbo for a couple of mins.
Its like flicking a switch when it come on.
Any ideas ? :bang:

I had this and it was a problem with my EGR valve, I had it replaced and the problem went away!

But, the MAF sensor also has the same symptoms and is cheaper to diagnose. Unplug it and see how the car runs and if this fixes it then there may be a problem with the sensor.

You can try cleaning it by spraying it with Contact Cleaner (The stuff you get from Maplins to clean circuit boards with) but if this doesn't fix it then I would take it to Fiat to get the codes read as it could be either the sensor or the EGR valve. Alternatively you could just leave it unplugged as the car will just run off default values and use just the MAP sensor to take readings of how much air is coming into the engine.

Last edited:
cheers !!
The problem is half fixed now.
cleaned out the EGR and now what I thought was a natural flat spot between 2500 - 3000 rpm has gone. It pulls strong right through the rev range now.
I,ve had a closer look at what is going on and it seams that the normal operating temperature is when the gauge is half way up and it is when it gets to this point, thats when it starts giving me turbo.
i'll tackle the MAF sensor tomorrow to see if that helps.

cheers !!
The problem is half fixed now.
cleaned out the EGR and now what I thought was a natural flat spot between 2500 - 3000 rpm has gone. It pulls strong right through the rev range now.
I,ve had a closer look at what is going on and it seams that the normal operating temperature is when the gauge is half way up and it is when it gets to this point, thats when it starts giving me turbo.
i'll tackle the MAF sensor tomorrow to see if that helps.

Just unplug it, and if that solves the problem you have either the choice of leaving it unplugged (As I and many others do) or buying a new one for around £100-120

... unplugged the MAF today.
It made no difference and did as before - no turbo until full operating temperature.
gave the MAF a clean with carb cleaner as it had a lot of dirt on the thermister, connected it back up and still the same.
Is there something that controls the power delivery of the engine up until full operating temperature that is failing ?

... unplugged the MAF today.
It made no difference and did as before - no turbo until full operating temperature.
gave the MAF a clean with carb cleaner as it had a lot of dirt on the thermister, connected it back up and still the same.
Is there something that controls the power delivery of the engine up until full operating temperature that is failing ?

I would take it to Fiat and get the codes read

Hi Did you find out what the problem is, I've got the same problem the turbo on my 2000 jtd want kick in untill the engine is hot?.
cheers

just noticed my old thread. I am now on my second JTD. for anyone interested the flat spot between 2500 - 3000 rpm is a dirty EGR valve and the problem of no turbo until full operating temperature is a broken MAF sensor.
Thats what was wrong with my old car. My current one did exactly the same, flat spot and no turbo until full operating temparature.

Clean the EGR and change the MAF - sorted :)

hi i have just got a jtd. And haveing the same problem were are the EGR and MAF to thanks

hi i have just got a jtd. And haveing the same problem were are the EGR and MAF to thanks

Maybe this can help you out as I am doing this tomorrow as awell...cheers

fiatforum.com/stilo-guides/263681-clean-egr-valve-1-9jtd-8v-engine.html

fiatforum.com/punto-guides/129316-1-9-jtd-maf-sensor-cleaning-replacement.html

Back