General JTD clutch

Currently reading:
General JTD clutch

So, we've found why the clutch is slipping in Bunny's bravo despite it being super low mileage.

The flywheel is seeping oil :confused: all over the clutch assembly. Must be oil damping or something in the dual-mass flywheel. bugger. Another £400ish extra ontop of the clutch kit and labour. :(

I know of a place whare you can get a new Dual mass jobby for £248 :) fiat were wanting £320 for a reconditioned one,i think all there ones are recon's they keep your old one and recon it for around £50/£80,and punt them back for £320.

There is a thread on Boo by a K.Walker and he was getting his reconditioned for £80 odd but havent heard how he got on.

D.A Factors is the seller for them at £248
Im not sure where they ship to but mine,s came up from down south,sure if you went for one they could ship it to you.

Just thought i would let you know incase you are paying a lot more than that.

Cheers Scotty(y)

DMF grease leaks can occur at any milage for unknown reasons. some modern VW's suffer it at low milages and the dealers refuse to repair it under warranty (leading to that law suit in america, but then what doesnt lead to a law suit in america).

its just unlucky :(

DMF grease leaks can occur at any milage for unknown reasons. some modern VW's suffer it at low milages and the dealers refuse to repair it under warranty (leading to that law suit in america, but then what doesnt lead to a law suit in america).

its just unlucky :(

Thanks for that Jug. I thought it was a bit of a one-off. Never heard anyone else on here experience it. Mostly because not many people have spent money on new clutches for DMF equipped cars!

edit: Cheers Scotty - I'm not paying much more than that really, frequent flyer discount and all means the job isn't quite AS painful. Only upset because if it wasn't for the grease leak the clutch would have been fine for several thousand more miles.

Last edited:
Think we've been really unlucky here.. It looks like the seal on the threads of the bolt holding the flywheel to the crank haven't been fully sealed. The gunk on the flywheel face is engine oil which has made its way through the threads of the bolts and onto the clutch plate :(

Oh well, a remapping we shall go :D

do you mean from the 5 bolts in the centre of the flywheel?
i dont see how thats possible, they have no oil behind them.
surely it can only come through the bearing seal.

then again i've never seen the JTD flywheel so i'm only guessing its the same as most cars.

Last edited:
Its a bit diffrent;)

Attachments

• backmass.jpg
    backmass.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 16
  • dualmass.jpg
    dualmass.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 19
it still looks the same as other flywheels. should have guessed it would have 6 bolts as its a diesel, but there is still no way those bolts could leak oil, when you remove them there is no oil behind them, just threaded holes.

a leak must be fron the crankshaft oil seal. just rip the old seal out then push the new one in, job done, but check for any signs of play in the crankshaft bearing as a seal failure is sometimes the first sign of bearing problems (its hard to notice the knocking on a diesel)

Back