IMG_20120425_145937.jpg

Panda (Classic) John Dragon Man's 4x4 Sisley

Introduction

Hello!

Well, I have been waiting a long time to do this!

Introducing (Drum roll please!).....

Edit: about half way through the time it took me to get the car on the road it found the name Talon. So everyone Meet:
Talon. My Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great Looking car.. As i am sure you all agree!

It has its Good points:

No Horrid noises in any gear and the 4x4 system works and sounds brilliant! Its a Sisley! And it came with some nice extras such as the light grill covers.

and also nice low mileage.
attachment.php

And it has its bad points... Lots of bad points:

Mid body rust, This is the worst on the drivers side (in the UK) front wing:
attachment.php

The Doors are Rusty.. Ok, i did expect this as it seems to be a common thing on most Fiats over 10-15 years old:
attachment.php

And the other Door, Not as bad.. I may be able to save this side!
attachment.php

"Phantom Electronics" the electronics do what they want to do, when they want to do it. No Switches necessary!

Also the Fuse box now lives here :( That means that a flap has been cut in the pocket :(
attachment.php

The Exhaust is very broken, in multiple parts. even the down pipe!
attachment.php

Lastly and by far the worst, Under body rust. Now its not as bad as it could be. The rear sills on both sides have a small 1 - 2 inch hole in them. No biggy.
I have still yet to remove all the plastic wheel arch liners and have a proper look.
Here's a picture from the front drivers side wheel arch, its only a skin so a easy repair:
attachment.php

A bit of work needs doing to the brakes, pads i think. The fluid needs changing and the drivers side front brake pipe is corroded so i will replace that.

Also the engine needs a good cleaning up, a full on service replacing the water pump, cam belt, tensioner pulley, distributor cap and rotor arm, filters, oil, radiator, coolant and starter motor.

I also need a few things like a locking filler cap, the little clips that hold the air box together, a new boot gas strut and a non damaged back bumper.

Its the car I have always wanted right from when I was a young lad. So you can imagine how I was when I won it on eBay for a grand total of £547. Getting it from Wales To my home town of Derby Cost me £135.

With some love, care and late nights I reckon I can turn it into a cracking motor!

Oh and stay tuned as I will be keeping a Video Log of what I will be doing to the car on Youtube!

This is the video i took just as the car transporter left from delivering it:

See the rest of the videos Here: Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley Restoration Video Logs

See my Youtube Channel >>>Here<<<

Also Click Here for more up to date pictures of this car!

I am so very proud to be the owner of a Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley!

:D:D:D

Edit: this is how Talon looks now:

:eek::cool::cool::cool::yum:

Since then Talon has gained more lights, and now has some blue rust free Seat Marbella doors. I had also converted him to Fuel injection, however the parts i used were old and worn so now it is back on Carburettor.

This thread has its ups and downs but through the years Talon and myself have pulled through.

When you are done reading this thread, be sure to check out the little red scrap yard rescued Seat Marbella thread and also Project Fallout!

Peace all and enjoy the thread, videos and pictures!
thanks for the info. ill look them up and give them a call.

Who wants to see my current parts list? Lol
Code:
[FONT=Lucida Console]vacuum servo for distributor        essential
windscreen drain.            essential
complete lock set with filler cap    essential
petrol tank                ??!!
windscreen rubber            reuse old - look for new.
boot rubber                non essential 
boot strut                non essential 
timing belt cover            non essential
air box                 non essential, for the moment
small rubber wing bonnet rest            non essential
back bumper                non essential[/FONT]
i should update my wanted thread :/

Last edited:
hey guys. got the whole front end of the car de-rusted!

only jobs i need to do are paint the wheel hub/callipers, fit the struts, put all the plastics back in and fit the bumper!

really need some advice with the plastic drain hole thing guys, what should i do? its the only thing stopping me fit the windscreen.

heres the video!

heres video 10..

not much of a video.. damn wind/rain. :/ i have now found the key.. lol

well i now have the front bumper back on and the drivers side inner wheel arch in.

quick question.. is the rear engine mount meant to be loose? as in you can move the nut only just. i can spin the bolt and nut around but it wont tighten as it just spins.

still need advice on the plastic drain hole thingy lol.. ive no idea what to do.

Also found out the correct gear box oil for the 4x4 is SAE 80w/90. sux how it costs so damn much to buy!

Last edited:
Got some oil!!!!!!! a guy local to me has loads. so bough 4 bottles off him. did a little video on it:

Use some 20w50 engine oil in the box, will do the job just fine and is alot cheaper than the proper gear oil.

I'm struggling to work out what you mean by the windscreen drain? Got a picture?

hope these pictures help:

Attachments

• IMG_20120516_181930.jpg
    IMG_20120516_181930.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20120516_181952.jpg
    IMG_20120516_181952.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 45
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
yeah, thats what i am going to have to do.

i am not sure but i dont think i have a 5th gear in my box.. i can put it "in" 5th and roll the car around a good distance up and down the drive like it would be in neutral.

i could hope it is the linkages.. but they all feel good and i can get every other gear.

then again, the gear box has been ran around with very little oil in.

stupid idea.. wet shaft gear box on a 4x4. who the hell thought of that!

John
You have the same rot on the rear drivers side sill and the wheel arch that I have.
I managed to get a section of Unclespevie which I intend to let in, so I don't have to fabricate a whole new section.
For your information there is a guy breaking a Bianca in the classifieds section, which may solve your problem.
By the way I am very impressed with your daily output, welding, grinding, undersealing etc.
Dave

thank you man, i love the car, i have always wanted to own a panda and always feared that they would all be scrapped or museum pieces before i got a change to own one. its the only one car i have always wanted from when i was really little. sod sports cars.. im a panda man!

Last edited:
quick question.. is the rear engine mount meant to be loose? as in you can move the nut only just. i can spin the bolt and nut around but it wont tighten as it just spins.

No, should be tight. Look just above the rear engine mount at the vertical bulkhead. You will see a small hole. That hole is small enough to get the ring end of a 17mm spanner through. Then it's a fantastic Krypton Factor game of spacial awareness attempting to get that ring spanner on to the other end of the engine mount bolt (by 'fantastic' I mean 'infuriating' and some extra expletives). Then you can tighten said bolt.

well engine now runs.. and it runs well now! no hunting or anything! still boggs down a little and from tick-over if you put your foot to the deck it will stall...
not sure when is causing this yet.. i have played with the distributor timing and set it to a position where it runs real smooth.

kinda wondering if i have the timing belt a tooth out as the distributor is set all the way over one way.

anyway. now the engine is running i took the liberty to check my phantom 5th gear.
stuck it in 5th and slowly let the clutch out till it was all the way out. not a sound was heard from the box, after doing this a few times i thought to hell with it and moved the gear stick around in 5th. i can pull it out of 5th and back in without making a sound.

its strange as it actually "goes in" to 5th. and stays there. it does not jump out. i am wondering if the selector dog has broken in the gear box. that or every tooth on the gear has been sheared off.

where abouts is the 5th gear in a 4x4 box? at the bottom or top of the box? i'll strip it down at some point in time and have a look at it, but not until i have ruled out "play" in the selector. if i stick in into 5th with all the gear linkages removed and it actually works i will then know its a fault with the gear linkages.

also will other gears from say a more common gear box like a 1.2 punto fit? (i know the ratio would be different but if i were to change them all out with they effectively all "fit" in the 4x4 gearbox shell and match up the the diff?

anybody give me a few tips on the gearbox?

sod the drain hole.. going to give it a load of coats of satin black and maybe underseal the underside of the panel the drain hole has been drilled in. just to try to keep any future rust at bay.

yes i know that, 1st on a 4x4 is classed as a super bottom and i agree that i should get this box sorted ;)

however. if i find that the gears just are that bad.. i will just swap the gears over with others from another box. be it 4x4 or not.

this is going on the fact (i think) the last cars MOT was in 2007, and it could of been driving around with no oil in the box since then. that and the possibility of it running on the wrong type of oil before that. as the oil was changed at some point as the plugs were chewed up on the box... before i made them worse.. lol

get it done man! :LOL:

well not doing much today with the car, i have put all the vents back on and most of the inside trim around the windscreen. also i have been cleaning all the bits too. so they have come up like new!

a little note guys, the vents on the outside.. the resion why pandas go rusty i have found with mine was caused by the vents. on the back of the vent where they came out the mold was really rough and rubbed its way through the paint. just sand down the rough bit and it should stop any future rusting (y)

another thing i would like to know guys.. i dont know if anyone has ever done it, but would the 5th gear from out of another FIRE engine gearbox fit into my box? i know the ratios would be way out as the gear would be taller.
i was thinking that it would be like having an over drive gear for high speed travel.
whats your thoughts guys? i mean Punto boxes are common as hell in my local scrappers, and i would rather change the single gear than the whole box.
would just like to know if it would be as easy as slide the old gears off the splines and then slide the new ones on.

oh, and if anyone has a clock out of a panda.. guess who needs one lol. if some one could bring it to stanford hall event i would be muchly happy :):)

Back