20111025_008.jpg

Punto (Mk2/2b) jmckee4's Mk2 Punto

Introduction

Hi, I've noticed a lot of newbie posts recently and I realised that I never introduced myself and just jumped in asking questions. So here goes:

6 months after passing my test I started to look for a car (waited so long due to insurance) and found that a Seicento was cheap on insurance. After a lot of shopping around I found a lovely 52 plate for £1300. I offered £1000 and the seller accepted. Gave it, a new windscreen as I bought it cracked, and a really good wash.

I only had it 4 months before some daft bint who could only just speak english pulled out on me and wrote off my lovely car :cry:

Luckily I was fine. Ended up ringing the insurance and asking about a Punto. They said that they would just put it on the same policy. Again after much shopping around I found a 53 Punto not far from me. Gave a good clean in and out.

No major problems. Got a pulsing idle though. Need to clean the throttle body perhaps?
Replaced the cassette HU with a standard CD HU for £50 plus £17 for a harness adaptor. Which I had some problems with. The cd kept getting stuck when pressing eject so the HU didn't read it. Took it completely apart and put it back together. This is what it looks like for anyone interested.

I've had my Punto just over 2 years and haven't taken many pics

Recently I have changed the wheeltrims (can't afford alloys yet)
from these:

to these

Unfortunately I have a psychotic neighbour wh though it would be a good idea to key my car all the way around

There were also some one the boot but I was too angry to take pics of those too:bang:

I decided to buy a fiat alarm and fit it myself (not a good idea!)
Apparently I broke the internal fuse box and it cost me £744 for FIAT to fix it :eek:

Been filling some of the scratches with a touch up pen and will soon sand them down with some wet sand paper, t-cut, wax and buff them up.
Had a go at some small ones, the scratches are a lot less visible but the area around them where I have sanded seem dull (almost like there is no lacquer) with no shine - Anyone have any knowledge on scratch repairs?

Hopefully I'll get those fixed up and take some pics I'd be proud to share.

I'm not one for big mods, I prefer to keep things standard or at least subtle.
If I gain the confidence/money I would like to:
Upgrade the speakers
Colour code wing mirrors and perhaps the door handles
Fiat alloys
One day would love to put a blue interior in with cushioned headrests

Big thanks to all who have already given me advice (y)
Installed new speakers a couple of months ago
20120530_001.jpg

Before I changed my HT leads I noticed that one of the bolts, which holds the air filter box in place, had snapped clean off. Any advice?
20120602_001.jpg

And I've just upgraded my interior to HGT from a mk2
Before:
20120729_001.jpg

After:
20120730_001.jpg

20120730_002.jpg

I've decided to stick with the Black and Blue theme, so I won't bother with the silver console etc.

Thinking of Lockwood Door Sills to finish it off. Not sure though. Anyone put them in?

if you arent up to drilling it out consider a new coil pack holder from the scrappies as it bolts on to the head
i like sill protecters but they are too expensive on ebay
theoretically you only get one chance to fit them right so preperation and marking where they go in a trial fit with backing on is the way to go:)

good luck

Nice punto love the colour, shame about the neighbour keying it.

Ps are they Alpine SXE-1725s speakers? what are they like?

Nice punto love the colour, shame about the neighbour keying it.

Ps are they Alpine SXE-1725s speakers? what are they like?

Thanks, yes they are. I only have the stock blaupunkt cd HU and there is a considerable difference from the stock speakers. Got them for around £40 on ebay. They look good but thinking of putting the grilles back on as I don't want someone to break in for them

Nice looking car, probably mine & Mrs WNWL's favorite colours the Fiat dark metallic blues, shame about the 'keying'... (n)

The MJP has Mrs + 3 kids on insurance so no mods and wheel trims only for me too! The speaker upgrade is a cheap and worthwhile mod. I had some old Pioneers TS-G1755's (modern equivalent TS-G 1722i is similar money to your Alpines) in the garage plus got some Clerance 'Ripspeed' 4'/10cm for the rear from Halfords and a CDE-120RR Alpine headunit for a fraction under £58! BARGAIN! and a dramatic difference over the stock Blaupunkt headunit! My speakers covered up with / mounted behind grills for security/piece of mind... :D

Had a little accident yesterday on my way to work. Was rather foggy and the third party didn't have their headlights on and I pulled out into the side of them :doh:

We exchanged insurance details but I haven't heard anything yet, maybe they'll just replace the doors I hit. Don't want my premium to go through the roof :nono:

20120907_001.jpg

Mk3 parts in and around Bolton are like rocking horse poop.

Found a place near Warrington called East Lancs Fiat Spares
Just bought new headlight, bumper, wing and bonnet all unsprayed for £170.
Dropped them off at a paint shop and they're being sprayed up for £160

Should be ready for next week. Will have to give the rest of the car a damn good polish to bring it all together

that bonnet would have repaired easy

Oh......right..... :eek:
Oh well. Too late now

The corner of the bonnet was bent downwards but a work colleague pulled it almost back into place with a pair of pliers, he reckoned it had already taken some damage because there was filler under the paint.

There was a lot of swirl marks on it anyway so new one will look better, just got to mess around with the grills, both on the bonnet and bumper

When you say it was foggy, if you can show visibility was to bellow 100yards and he had no lights on then you may be able to minimise your liability and prevent him making a claim against your policy.

Other wise it's 100% your fault and your insurance premiums will suffer

This is why you should always report an accident to the police where there is damage to property or person, you might have be able to get a police witness to state the car had no lights and the conditions warranted lights, you should always report and accident anyway.

There was a guy on eBay selling complete sets of panels for the front of puntos so bonnet bumper grill and wings, for not much money but would be worth it if you can't find any matching panels

Oh......right..... :eek:
Oh well. Too late now

The corner of the bonnet was bent downwards but a work colleague pulled it almost back into place with a pair of pliers, he reckoned it had already taken some damage because there was filler under the paint.

There was a lot of swirl marks on it anyway so new one will look better, just got to mess around with the grills, both on the bonnet and bumper

these outer grilles need heating on the tabs behind the bumper or they fall out
they are welded in at the factory or you could put a discreet self tapper in them:)

they cost £15 each and are not usually found in a breakers coz i buy em all :D

Had the bumper off this morning to replace the headlight on the off chance I get pulled over driving to work on monday.
Had a lot of trouble with bolts shearing off and snapping the tip off my T30 bit!

My problem now is that the bracket, which is attached (tack welded) to the wing and bolted to the chassis, is out of shape so my bolt holes on the headlight don't line up.

Should this bracket be on my new wing? Its at the paint shop so I can't check

Had the bumper off this morning to replace the headlight on the off chance I get pulled over driving to work on monday.
Had a lot of trouble with bolts shearing off and snapping the tip off my T30 bit!

My problem now is that the bracket, which is attached (tack welded) to the wing and bolted to the chassis, is out of shape so my bolt holes on the headlight don't line up.

Should this bracket be on my new wing? Its at the paint shop so I can't check

depending who you get the wing off (i use sel imperial) then the bracket on mk2b is indeed extra
its only held on with two spot welds so they should easily be able to drill it off your damaged wing with a spot weld removal drill and tack it onto your new painted wing

if i was you i would leave your car as it is you bagged the headlight and theres no sharp edges so so long as you only drive during daylight the bobbies really shouldnt have an issue as you are booked in for repairs to be completed

Done. Been for a drive and nothing fell off :eek:

20120909_001.jpg

Took me a full day and isn't something I'd look forward to doing again. (n)

Polished the drivers side headlight so it didn't look so bad with the new one.

Paint isn't a perfect match either, its noticeably lighter.:(

Going to stick my active badge on the new wing tomorrow as well as gluing in the bumper side grills.

Any ideas about the paint? Is it possible to sort at all?
My dad reckons it'll be ok but would obviously like your opinions :worship:

Thanks in advance

Got any pictures of the colour difference?
A good paint supplier should be able to match the paint pretty damn close with different shades of 1 colour
If its that bad I would take it back and ask them why its such a different colour

I'll get a picture of the colour difference tomorrow. You can see a difference looking at previous pictures though.
Dropped the panels off in my dad's car and gave him the paint code - 498.

Not sure whether I prefer the darker or lighter paint. :p

I might take it down to him anyway and get the scratches fixed up, then I can give it a proper clean and polish. Want it to shine again (y)

How long do you reckon Ziggy? 6 months, A year, or longer?

Back