Technical jerking/misfire 1.2 8v

Currently reading:
Technical jerking/misfire 1.2 8v

ieuuk

Hi, i have just got a 02 punto active sport 1.2 8v and its done 10,300 miles and has been serviced, mot'ed etc. all ontime but my problem at the moment is when your off the accelerator for a while like rolling up to a roundabout and the revs drop below 2,000 when you go to go again i get a bad jerking from the engine instead of a nice smooth acceleration.

anybody got any ideas of what it could be?

i've read about ecu problems and ive been told that all of the spark plugs were recently changed and i had a look and they look fairly new.

Thanks

sounds best to get it pugged in see what the ecu is sayin but if your engine management light isnt on i dont think you will get much out of it.

thanks for the responses...

im going to try changing the plugs, ht leads and air filter and see if this will cure the problem seeing as it's probably been sitting around for a while and hasn't really done any miles.

will also check the connections to the coils and get some contact cleaner as well and try and get some more milage on it too.

another thing i am going to try is calling up fiat and see if they can tell me if it has an outstanding recalls like the ecu upgrade

will report back to see if this makes any difference

thanks again

Update is for the coil drivers (software) which I dont think is your problem,just re-read your post & sounds like misfire?

However examiner is not just a glorified code reader & in the right hands your problem should be located,even sorted within the hour.

well ive ordered a workshop manual as well so i can have a good look around first seeing as the nearest fiat dealer is about 20miles away and parts are cheaper off the net anyway.

True but you cant just go throwing parts at it in the hope you will cure it no matter how cheap they are on the net chances are you'll end up spending more?
What if it's the throttle potentiometer for instance.how would you diagnose this? Not trying to be unhelpful just realistic.However I would check leads first as if plugs were recently changed (by who?) chances are they pulled on the lead itself to remove & f*cked it,worth looking here first.

yeah, i see what you mean, i'll try the plugs, leads and air filter first. failing which i'll give it to fiat to have a look at.
have just spoken to fiat customer service (was very helpful) and has told me that the only recall outstanding on it is the 4616 - toe bar modification, all of the others have been done. which is nice to know.

Exactly,do the basics (ask if your having trouble) & if your still stuck take to dealer.Believe me it's not nice telling a customer who brought their car is because of running concerns that it needs a £250 ECU but what else can you do?
Good luck in finding your cars fault,remember theres always plenty of help & advice here for you.

Thanks for all the help people... sorry about the lack of updates on whats been happening.

Well i took it to my mate's dad's garage because he said he can get me the parts at trade prices and would also hook it up to the diag equipment.

So we hooked it up to the diag equipment and it said it had a misfire on cylinder 3 so ordered in a new coil, replaced it the next day, its now running sweet as a nut. it's so smooth all the way through the revs from about 1100rpm... im well pleased.

thanks again for all of your help and advice. :)

Sorted mate, glad its all fixed (y)

I might need to get mine checked as I have noticed a very juddery acceleration when pulling away in second at low revs (mainly when cold but does happen when engine has warmed up) :confused:

thats exactly what i was getting. to reduce the problems when cold and damp take off the air filter and have a good spray around with wd40... it did the trick on mine.

and of course im going to stick around... i love my punto and really enjoying driving it too

Hi, i have just got a 02 punto active sport 1.2 8v and its done 10,300 miles and has been serviced, mot'ed etc. all ontime but my problem at the moment is when your off the accelerator for a while like rolling up to a roundabout and the revs drop below 2,000 when you go to go again i get a bad jerking from the engine instead of a nice smooth acceleration.

anybody got any ideas of what it could be?

i've read about ecu problems and ive been told that all of the spark plugs were recently changed and i had a look and they look fairly new.

Thanks
Re. Jerking 1.2
Expensive garage bill, (£164.39) problem still remained. My DIY cure was to change all HT leads. Engine now runs very well, cost £34.00 including VAT (Mileage 67000) Good luck, Budlet

Re. Jerking 1.2
Expensive garage bill, (£164.39) problem still remained. My DIY cure was to change all HT leads. Engine now runs very well, cost £34.00 including VAT (Mileage 67000) Good luck, Budlet

the threads from 2005 lol

well done for trying to help though a lot of newbies tend to go straight in asking for help(y)

Welcome:wave:

Back