Technical Jerking engine in palio

Currently reading:
Technical Jerking engine in palio

Santosh s10

Hi people, im Santosh from chennai... i am a new member to this forum and also new to a fiat car. I just got a used 2002 palio s10 and im really satisfied with the car's performance. I also own a maruti baleno but i need a hot hatch for driving pleasure... I mainly chose palio 1.6 s10 is for its performance, the car easily reaches 140kmph, and i could manage to do a top wack of 170kmph in a short straight and the fuel efficiency is 8 in city and 13 in highways... The handling of the car is just awesome and the ride... But i have an issue with the car, the car's engine is always shaking when it idels but when reved, the jerking stops... After getting the car from a used car dealer, i took it to chennai Concord motors and they checked the car for 3 weeks and finally the said that there is no hardware issues and even there is no error codes when connected to the examiner... but they cannot fix the engine jerks... They checked the ECU, ignition coils, spark plugs, spark plug cables, O2 or Lamda sensors, fuel injectors and the rail, fuel pump and the timing but the jerk is not controlled... they even changed all the above components including the ECU from another 1.6 s10 but the engine jerk still not stopped. Finally the chief mechanic said that there may be some problem in the cylinder head or the valve allignment or valve clearance... there is no warning lights flashing or glowing in the car and there is no power lag. So im confused whether its a major issue with the car or its the car's behaviour, even when the car is idling, if i keep my hands near the exhaust, i can feel the exhaust beats are not constant or steady, it sounds like the car is misfiring... I really need experts advice or sudjestions regarding the issue... Please help me...

Regards,
Santosh

@Santosh:
I think you try to check again your car's engine. Maybe it had been flooded in water, for example, so piston rod has been curved lightly.
Sorry, my english not well :)

Thanks qisheng, but i have checked that in three different places and they say that the car is not affected in flood... When i increase the RPM more that 1100, the jerks stops and there is no misfire... Is it any problem in valves?

Thanks ruigong, i will check that out... but is this a big problem in the car? beacuse the jerks stops after 1100 rpm...

Thanks qisheng, but i have checked that in three different places and they say that the car is not affected in flood... When i increase the RPM more that 1100, the jerks stops and there is no misfire... Is it any problem in valves?
Did you check rubber-pads below car engine ?
I think, if rubber-pad has been senile, your car maybe jecking when RPM low.

I checked the rubber pads Qisheng and they are in good shape... no issues with it... but the exhaust sound is not steady... the exhaust beats are unsteady... It is exploding constantly, that is for every 3 or 4 beats in the exhaust, one "BLUP" sound occurs as if its exploding but not aloud... Even the mechanic say that they dont know what the issue is...

Hi Santosh,
I also have a Palio S10 with same problem, They had my engine head removed and check for air leakage, every thing is fine, but still it stalls at Idle, Now I had to unplug one of the sensor pipe that leads from canister to the air intake, now the peoblem seems to be solved, it wont stall, but the RPM at Idle varies from 800 to 900, this is not the actually solution, One guy who works on my car says that there is insufficient air intake for the engine to burn fuel. Now i am checking for millage, since there is free flow of air, this might lead to drop in millage. So for i week i would be running my car to check for millage, if the millage drops then i would replace the canister which would cost less than 1000 Rs
If this works for you let me know :)

Thanx buddy but actually my car does not stall and the RPM will not vary during idle... everything is fine but the engine jerks...

Hi Santosh,
Even i own a Palio 1.6gtx 2002 model and have exactly same issue.
The jerks are felt only during idling.
I contacted prerna motors and after having it checked (computerised) was informed by the supervisor that the CAM sensor is faulty due to which the fuel supply is not constant and that might be the reason for the jerks.
They have ordered the sensor,,,,,,,,, just wating for the same.
In the mean while if u do get a resolution for the same, kinldy let me know.

Also any one in this forum who has owner/driver manual copy of , request to provide the same.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I just got the CAM sensor replaced.
Well i cant say the jerks ar completely gone i feel its slighlty exist at every 5 seconds interval.However one chage is noticed that when the A/C is on the jerks are not there which was not the case earlier.
Satisfied yes if not fully though.But was very impressed with the response the prerna motors had given me .....
1) good work
2) good response
3) Delivery on time as promiosed.
The supervisor (Mr.Zakhir) at prerna motors needs to be appreciated.He has the patience to listen and get u r problems resolved.

Dear Santosh,
I have faced a similar problem with my older palio. The sound that you refer to is actully the knocking of the engine. The best solution is to refuel your car with a higher octane petrol like Speed or Power from IndianOil / Bharat Petroleum. It costs a few rupees extra but this is worth the effort / money spent in guessing /replacing expensive engine components..
Please try and do let me know,
Regards,
Dr. Ravi

Dr. Ravi,
Thank you very much for the solution and i actually tried a tank full with Power from HP and the problem seems to be reduced... I really thank you for your response...

Dear Santosh,
Along with a tankful of high octane petrol also add some fuel injector cleaning additive available from Bharat Petroleum or from private oil companies like STP or Gulf oil, this really takes the knocking away. Or else try adding a litre of 2 stroke oil to every tankful of Petrol. The knocking at low speed will completely disappear and the mileage will also increase.
Regards,
Dr. Ravi

Well I have been using high octane fuel from shell from the Day one and still the problem does not seem to disappear.
I also tried adding Fuel additives (3M) once however the knocking increased and had to stop using it.Jerks are mild every few seconds interval but very irritating, also now the RPM shows low and falls rapidly if the car is moved on an inclined on 1st or 2nd gear, but surprisingly the car doesnot stall.
Kindly suggest.

Hi, where can i get the air filter hose for my palio s10 1.6v in chennai? The filter hose is broken accidentally and i need the OEM one and not the third party hose like K&N or Pipercross... Any idea how much will it cost?

Hi, where can i get the air filter hose for my palio s10 1.6v in chennai? The filter hose is broken accidentally and i need the OEM one and not the third party hose like K&N or Pipercross... Any idea how much will it cost?

Hi,
Well I am not aware of where do u get it in chennai, but here in Bangalore i had it replaced for 1.6GTX and it cost me Rs 3000.00.
Well for now I am the happiest man as I had my issritating problem resolved and thats the engine jerks.
I tried my best of all, different mechanics from differnt TATA service centres and also the non-fiat centres and not a single one could rectifiy as to why the engine jersks everynow and then while idling.Every bopdy said its common in 1.6 Palios or bad fuel , which for me was hard to believe because I always use Advanced Shell, which I guess is the best in quality.
Due this jerk , I could easily feel the loss of power , pickup , and the RPM use to reduce bigtime also the main thing the power steering use to feel hard, not very sure hows that related but i feel that the jerks in the engine could not supply enough power to the steering making its hard to turn...well comming to the point only one person who could recognise the problem is " Prerna motor" electronicity (bangalore) , within a second their mechanic said " Sir its a problem with the Timing".
Now that was a releif for me and was assured that this is th guy who know stuff and can resolve it ,,and so its done...and no jerks.....wonderfull experience and hats of to them .Mr surendra and his mechanicn (maesh : i guess) definetly need a priase for their expertise.:)

Dear Santosh,
Please try Sundaram Motors on Whites Road next to the TVS Petrol pump. They were the Fiat dealers for almost a decade and still stock lots of original FIAT parts.
Regards,
Dr.Ravi

Back