Webudgave-31.jpg

Barchetta Jeda Barchetta

Introduction

Hi guys,
based on my frustrations about the weather and having the flu, I decided to open a thread about my B.

I bought the car mid 2016 as a souvenier on a family vacation (Found it on the streets of Copenhagen and couldn't leave it be). It is a replacement for my motorcycles while the kids are to small to participate in that hobby :)

The B is a 2002 model and has done about 78000km. It's in a good condition but with some wear on the body and trim. As the general condition is sound and original I will use the time keeping it that way, while focussing on improving some of the smaller details. :)

Things done by now:
Hood gas struts - Great article on the forum btw.
Exhaust system - Mid box had tear and needed replacement
Airbag warning lamp - Loose connection below both seats

Things to come:
Hood frame covers - Replacement bought, not yet fitted
Rear fog light replacement - Replacement bought, not yet fitted
Passenger side door buttom cover - Replacement bought, not yet fitted
Right side rear light - Replacement bought, not yet fitted

To finish up this first post I have included a pic of some of the parts I just received from ebay, really great quality and almost no wear on the parts! :D

IMG_0787.JPG

Anyway, I'll try to update this thread with progress and pictures as I get rid of the flu and starts the work on the car :)
Nice looking car. I thought the later models with the third brake light had the updated front end. I have a 98 (built June 97) jade green from Japan, and we love it. After riding motorcycles for most of my life,I'm 68,I finally got a little rag top so my wife would come with me.I've had to do a quite a few repairs on her and there is still a bit left on the list but that is some of the charm of owning a Fiat. We also had a little 78 x19 and loved it.We drove the livin snot out of that thing but it never really let us down, we always made it home. (y)

I'm no expert but I've seen a few cars with 3rd brake light and with early

type front end.

Mine has neither [May 97]

Agreed, this is stock from factory.
To the best of my believe the B ran in 3 visual versions:

Series 1 1995 - 2000
No 3rd brakelight and early front.

Series 2 2000 - 2002
3rd brakelight and early front
Brake light was due to EU restrictions

Series 3 2003 - 2005
3rd brakelight and new front.

Think this is the history :)

I really enjoy the car, and in my case the wife is quite happy about the heater and roof as well on more dodgy days :D

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Seems like the flu has passed now, and the sun came up over Denmark. This meant that I could finally take the car out of the garage for a drive. :D

IMG_0804.JPG

I put the hood down and took a short 30km run along the westcoast and back to where i live, everything runs great and thankfully the heater still works. (y) (a plus vs. first run of the year when I had motorcycles).

While the car was out I fixed some of the previous mentioned details:

1) broken cover in right side door:
Having bought the replacement over ebay, I was ready to replace the old one right away.
IMG_0794.JPG
First the two screws are removed (one on each end of the door well).
Secondly pull back the rubber door gaskets from the body. (A gentle pull is enough to remove it).
Thirdly put a flathead screwdriver below the old cover and pry it gently from the body. Mine separated with no issues leaving a bit of cleaning for me, but nothing else.

IMG_0795.JPG

When cleaned I did the reassembly which left the result:

IMG_0797.JPG.

2) Rear foglight replacement:
Quite simple job, unscrew, detach and replace with the new part.
IMG_0798.JPG
No surprises, and everything seemed quite clean peeking inside the hole.
IMG_0799.JPG
The replacement fitted perfectly:
IMG_0800.JPG

3) Replacement of right side rear light:
Old with UV damage along with the new:
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG

4) Hood frame cover replacement:
IMG_0805.JPG
one of these were missing on the car when I bought it, so I bought a replacement during the winter. Quality of the replacement is a bit rough, so I might need to remove it and have it painted later on.

Replacing it was a 5 minute job which could be done on the car directly, the result was quite nice (ignoring the plastic surface quality).
IMG_0806.JPG
IMG_0807.JPG

This leaves the list of work to:

Things done by now:
Hood gas struts - Great article on the forum btw.
Exhaust system - Mid box had tear and needed replacement
Airbag warning lamp - Loose connection below both seats
Hood frame cover on left side replaced
Rear fog light replaced
Passenger side door buttom cover replaced
Right side rear light replaced

Things to come:
New hood/ rear window (Can't really decide on which way to go)
Painting of new hood frame covers

Last edited:
So that's your spare time (and spare money!) over the next few months fully accounted for! Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
So its MOT time for my barchetta, the 2 year interval is up.
Bought a VAG KKL Cable to reset an error from the seatbelt tensioner, worked likes charm. Fingers crossed that is all I had to do. :)
I’ve done 7500km in the past 3 seasons with the barchetta, no issues or breakdowns in the period. Great car and purchase all the way!

Hi gar074, thank you. I actually Got caught driving the car, so beside the farmecovers, the projects stalled. It has really proved to be a steady vehicle in the past years.

I’m missing the hood, it was dry. But now it needs replacement in heavy rain! Besides this, it needs new rubber flooring.
No rust, healthy drive and love the car though.

Finally I had a couple of days to spare. I got around to fit a new sonnenland hood I had ordered from Germany. It took about 8-10hours including some repainting of the frame.
Good fun, and almost ready to be tucked away for next year.

Attachments

• F7906F65-3A5D-4181-8B18-2FB994C20C78.jpeg
    F7906F65-3A5D-4181-8B18-2FB994C20C78.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 64
  • 5A5C8D7A-54BD-43DD-88AC-576113BD2F35.jpeg
    5A5C8D7A-54BD-43DD-88AC-576113BD2F35.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 64
After another couple of years with the B things have come to an end.
I took a shot and tried a 2006 2,5 Z4, and fell absolutely in love with it!
To make sure I was doing the right thing, I tried the 124spider, and honestly it was compared to the BMW.
Long story short, the B got traded.
I’m certainly going to miss the quirky doorhandles, hood and trunk operation. The simplicity and stability of the car.
The small projects on it, I hope can be moved to the Z4 instead.
Time will tell if the comfort of the Z4 and the Sound of the 6-cylinder engine will be followed by stability, but for now it is definately a fun replacement!

Thank you for an excellent forum with guides that assisted me in:
Fixing the trip counter.
Changing the hood
Polishing the lights
Fixing the 3rd brake light

And surely much more general maintenance on an excellent car.

Jesper

Sorry to hear that you’re selling. I’ve been looking at the 124 Spyder and trading mine in,there’s a red Lusso for sale about 3 miles from me and I’m very tempted but I don’t think I can let the “B” go , so I put a new clutch in her last week and 50 hours later and a lot of swearing and bruises She’s staying coz my wife won’t let me have them both :mad:
Ah well.

I must admit that the new 124 is not for me. I’m by mo means big, but the seats are to narrow, and I must admit that the cabin is not falling in my taste, perhaps due to the Mazda origin.
All in all, the car drives well, but it ends up being to modern for me, so it doesn’t leave much of a lasting impression besides the looks.

I also hope the B gets picked up by one who will enjoy it, I know it was a good experience for me. Even my 5-year old daughter was disgruntled with me selling it. I hope she will come around when she tried the new one.

Back