Jaguar XJS

Currently reading:
Jaguar XJS

Fast Finger

Established member
Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience with the old style (J reg) XJS's.

Ive been offered a 3.2ltr Sovereign one for not a lot of cash.

christopher watson said:
Do you meant the XJS sports cars (2 seater coupe/convertible), or the XJ6 saloons? :)

Its not a convertible, so i guess its the XJ6 then.

Fast Finger said:
Its not a convertible, so i guess its the XJ6 then.

Sorry, meant that the XJS is either a 2 seater coupe OR convertible.

Attachments

• Jaguar-XJS-Red-Strip-1280x960.jpg
    Jaguar-XJS-Red-Strip-1280x960.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 1980_Jaguar_XJS.jpg
    1980_Jaguar_XJS.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I've had loads of these. That particular year model is fondly known as the XJ40 saloon and the early cars were notorious for problems. The 3.2 feels a little lethargic compared to the 4.0L unit.

Check for :

Rust on inner wings, near suspension tops (MOT failure, but repaireable)
Rust on bulkhead
Rust on boot lid
Rust around sunroof (if fitted)
Diff wear (whine or excessive noise from diff)
SLS (self-levelling suspension) - most quickly broke and were retrofitted with standard suspension.
General electrical gremlins
Lighting electronic control modules, front and rear.
Air conditioning leaks (in-dash evaporator especially difficult to replace)
Front discs warped
Broken/failed door handles.

Lots of other things I can't think of right now but these are the main things.

XJS is not known as XJ40!!! Old shape XJ6 is, not XJS, never made a sovereign XJS either, 6 cylinder engine is bulletproof, as mentioned check for rust in usual areas, watch out if its a manual as they just arent good!, if car has a hesitance to change up or kickdown if its an auto, check transmission fluid level, if its not low then you could be looking at an expensive repair, also engine immobiliser if fitted can go wrong immobilising ignition completely, a simple fix if it goes wrong though, hope this helps (y)

SeiSporting said:
XJS is not known as XJ40!!! Old shape XJ6 is, not XJS, never made a sovereign XJS either:

I never said an XJS was a XJ40, no factory XJS to my knowledge ever utilized the 3.2 L engine.

3.2L engine + Sovereign + 1992 was the big give-away to it being an XJ40, not an XJS :)

Dave.

Basicly you can buy loads through the papers for next to nowt. if there not in mint condition most people apart from lovers of them wont touch them.

they empty the tank if you floor it in about 5 miles or less and there one of the most expensive cars to insure due to there easy nackability.

I might take one off your hands for £50 if you send me the cash first. I have a mate who has two XJS's and the XJ6 sitting rusting away in his drive from his old limo company he tryed to sell them with a bit of MOT and Tax and no one bought them full leather and everything they have been there for about 6 years now and the sunroofs have fallen in the windows are missing all the edges. and the only salvage bit worth anything is the engines.

BTW he tryed to sell them for about £150 each and nothing no calls and they were in mint condition when he abandoned them.

Fast Finger said:
Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience with the old style (J reg) XJS's.

Ive been offered a 3.2ltr Sovereign one for not a lot of cash.

My Dad has A V12, it was his last company car that he retired with. Great car to drive but I have spent loads of time keeping the rust gremlins at bay. look out for the brakes and running gear they are a common prob. Mainly though its structural rust that is the biggest prob & the usual BL build neglect

Just had a look at it, its a XJ6. Seems to pull nicely, full leather with everything working.

Bit of rust on the boot and on the rear arches but thats it.

Back