General I've got a panda

Currently reading:
General I've got a panda

hoozat

I have had my Panda Mania 750 for 18 Months
as I am over 50 years old, and since passing my driving test at 17 years old I have had many cars ,but I really like the Panda.
It is a black K reg .
It had been standing under trees in 6 inches of water for 2years
and it had a broken windscreen.
The brakes were all siezed up and the rubber gaiters split.
I used it for the first 6 months with an engine that missed coughed,the revs changed as they felt like it,till I found the fault. it was the post in the points slack and wobbly and vacuum advance split.
drives lovely now ,once it warms up.
had 4 thermostats in 18 months as they are rubbish.It starts instantly
in any weather but the choke has to be played about with in and out
like a fiddle till it warms thro.
It wants the choke in after 10 seconds then it wants it out after 30 seconds,then in, then out and so on, maybee a slug of cold water when the stat opens ??
apart from that it is a freindly little car now
Fred (old codger)

Oh good. Another old codger. I turned 50 last Tuesday [:0]

My Panda (when it's running) has overheated regularly so I'll add a new thermostat to my ever-growing list of jobs.

I don't know if the distributor and coil are the same as the old 1989 1000 CL but I replaced mine with an electronic one from a 4x4 and is very much better.

I renewed my clutch cable as it was a little sticky - perhaps you might have sticky linkages on your carburettor. I sprayed the carb body and linkages with brake cleaner to get rid of the gunge and just sprayed with WD-40 afterwards. Working the gas (sorry, accelerator) pedal and choke knob freed things wonderfully!

Glad you like the Panda - I've had mine from new (13 years) and would be extremely upset to part with it - like me it's been through hell and back, although it's currently immobile with a busted gearbox.

Steve
(I'm also on [email protected])

panda3.jpg

1989 Fiat Panda 1000CL "Rustwagen"
Electronic Distributor
Metamec copper brake pipes
Currently immobile with a knackered gearbox
Replacement 5-speed 'box and new QH clutch in garage ready to fit
and is likely to remain there for some time yet due to my EXTREME
LAZINESS (and it's wet out there - okay, so I'm a wimp) ...

Thanks for the reply,
I have replaced Alternator,Distributor,all brakes,exhaust
and any bits I find at scrapyards that are newer than mine.
next will be water pump and I will fit a new timing belt.
it is the best car to work on I have had as there are no complicated
electronics and computer Gismos.
when (if) the rain and snow ends I,m looking forward to pottering
about with it.
it needs new tyres but I cant find any at scrapyards.
I wonder which cars have the same wheels or even tyres ,I'm not
sure what size tyres will fit the rims.
I've been filling all the nooks and crannies with oil and coating underneath with tar.
Fred (old codger)

Hmmm, actually Sunderlands quite a long way away from me - at 30mph clutching the steering wheel with white knuckles as Grumbleweed judders like he's about to shed a wheel... I found out today. Spider on the inboard end of the N/S shed a roller into the gearbox in much the same way as Scruffbags went when it wrecked the gearbox:eek:. Got lucky, the bits seem to have either stayed in the boot or dropped thru the box and not trashed it, so spare on out the garage and normal service seems to have been resumed.
Is this off topic? think the OP will mind?

Andrew...stop it or you will owe me a new iPad..:D

By the way....I was thinking of fitting a V8..then adding 17inch wheels and an Audi A8 body to my panda do you think it will work or shall I just leave the Audi as it is??

Last edited:
Andrew...stop it or you will owe me a new iPad..:D

By the way....I was thinking of fitting a V8..then adding 17inch wheels and an Audi A8 body to my panda do you think it will work or shall I just leave the Audi as it is??
do-able if you make sure you transplant the audi floorpan, transmission, brakes, loom, interior, wheels, suspension and engine along with all the ancilliaries as a single unit, but retaining the original Panda and Fiat badges from the back and maybe the small fiat badge from the grille. Also has the advantage of leaving you enough parts left over to be considered a Panda in it's own right, maybe using the Audi badges to finish it off.
....or not.
erm, technically we're sort of spamming this dead thread here now, should we let it rest in peace?

Back