it was 20 years ago today...

Currently reading:
it was 20 years ago today...

Jeez, I remember that night! My sister came home about midnight after seeing Wet Wet Wet in concert (yes, I know :rolleyes:) and it was pi$$ing down. I then played on my computer and had headphones on into the small hours. At around 2am I though I heard something outside so I opened the curtains. I was then greeted by the sight of a huge oak tree being blown about like it was a piece of paper. My first thought was "Fcuk, where's the cat?", then I saw so much crap blowing around the garden I thought that the house wouldn't survive the rest of the night. Luckily it did, and the next morning outside looked like we'd just suffered a Blitzkrieg with trees, power lines and phone lines down. And walls. And next door had the front of their house blown out. There was devastation everywhere!

Can't believe it was 20 years ago :eek:

Oh, I love this quote from one of the comments at the end of the news article:

"Isn't it about time to let poor Mr Fish off the hook and enjoy his retirement?"

Let Mr. FISH off the HOOK - hahahahahahaha! :D

And I remember him saying on the weather forecast that a woman rang in asking if a hurricane was on the way, and he said, "No"! Technically we can't have hurricanes this far north of the equator but the storm that hit us was one big motherfcuker of a circular storm...

I don't get it, they announced something was gonna happen, and it did?

forecasts should be taken with a pinch of salt, we live on a small island (in the scheme of things) at the edge of a turbulant ocean, and its only a 'forecast' its not 'what is goign to happen with the weather in the next 24hours'

I remember going to work the day after the storm. The winds were still very strong and I was despatch riding in London (I'd taken the day off during the worst of it).
I was riding down Threadneedle st and a huge gust completely stopped the bike. I still had my feet on the pegs and the throttle open but the bike wasn't moving, and it was a VT500.
Very weird experience.

Back