Tuning is there any benefit in a FMIC on a jtd

Currently reading:
Tuning is there any benefit in a FMIC on a jtd

Are there any benefits in having a front mount intercooler and a cone filter? jut out of curiosity really, if there was good gains to have i may look at doing this, i already have a new cone filter although not sure i would fit it as i like the way my car drives, but if there is a way for cheaper power then i am all for that.

if not then i am more than happy to leave well alone lol.

also how easy is it to fit a boost gauge and oil pressure gauge? i have always run a vacumme gauge and volt gauge before (vacumme is a little pointless to be honest)

cheers

robin

i dont think theres any MASSIVE increase of power from it no but having said that it depends what your plans for the car are if your planning remaps and stuf then it maybe worth doing but if your just asking generally... any intercooler that provides cooler, more dense air, is a good thing but it completely depends on what you want from the car!

bare in mind fiat pay their designers a lot of money to design stuff that works (i realise that 'Fiat' and 'works' isnt something you would usually put together)... if the std I/C works fine for your requirements then dont go messing ;)

Last edited:
i dont think theres any MASSIVE increase of power from it no but having said that it depends what your plans for the car are if your planning remaps and stuf then it maybe worth doing but if your just asking generally... any intercooler that provides cooler, more dense air, is a good thing but it completely depends on what you want from the car!

bare in mind fiat pay their designers a lot of money to design stuff that works (i realise that 'Fiat' and 'works' isnt something you would usually put together)... if the std I/C works fine for your requirements then dont go messing ;)

Thanks buddy, think i may leave it alone till next year save some cash and then see about a bigger turbo, intercooler and map but only if i feel it needs it at the moment i pretty happy with the power after having 3 20'v marea's it is slower on launch but i would say evens 40-80

remember also the fiat standard one is a fmic.... as its front mounted.. a larger one will just increase lag without a different turbo.

if it was top mounted it would be worth it, but already being front mounted there isnt much choice.

I would call the original a smic really as its sitting in the wheel arch. Do the lower power stilos have louvres in the arch liner to let air flow?
Even with overboost upto 26psi and airflow of 1300mg I don't think I saw much over 50*c with std intercooler on b roads. Wouldn't say in normal driving I'd have suffered heat soak.
I had about 30*c higher map temps than maf with smic .
Now have about 8-15*c with alloy fmic running at 1.85bar.
It's un necessary unless your suffering high inlet temps already or are boxed or mapped to fuel the extra air you will gain.
A std car may feel worse as you will have more dense air but same fuel= leaner a/f.
Also turbo will suffer as will be trying harder to keep boost pressure the same with denser air.
Plenty of people run maps and boxes on std intercooler no issues.
As for cone filter, again I wouldn't bother my std fiat airbox is supplying enough air for 200+hp with very little pressure drop( I posted figures somewhere)
16v is fed with a snorkel to airbox so maf is usually ambient temp once moving, think of this if the 8v picks up air from engine bay.

Thanks Sussexa, you gave me something to think about and at the moment i dont think it is really essential but if i do decide to go for a bigger turbo next year and ma it i may just go for one.

also you mention tuning box now i like the sound of these but someone i spoke to recently said these can cause problems how true is this?

They are what they are, most lie to the fuel rail pressure sensor and give a lower reading ecu responds by upping pressure, now your injecting more fuel easy as.
I've been running a box for over 4 years on my 16v no problems.
Be aware nothings free , a box will work your pump harder, work your injectors harder, cause some excess sooting over std, may cause some injection start of injection issues and may lead to excess inj after tdc which may lead to excessive exhaust manifold temperature, which may lead to boost creep and turbo overspeeding etc.
A bad remap can also give you all the above, and unless you spend endless hours data logging and test running measuring all these parameters you would probably never know nor care about.
I'd say if you want 30hp quick and easily reversible go box and don't get greedy, set it low and tweak it up over several weeks until you get to a point you notice no increase in power but more black smoke then tweak back a bit. Otherwise your just injecting more fuel than can burn.
If you want more or like things to be right remap.
Tuning box will throw your mpg way out so ignore it. Start brim to brim calculations now and keep track manually.
I think my mpg dropped with tuning box but I regularly use the extra power.
I've seen some recent threads on new boxes that control injector duration like remap but price is probably getting similar to a remap
Try reading this
http://www.tdocuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12522&sid=19554e9cd509d7585f26bba4f0ce7c2b
Not seen or heard of so not a recommendation just I've read it.

Last edited:
i am running about 165hp on a remap that i have had on the car for 15k miles with no problems. Don't notice any heat soak or loss of boost pressure when changing gear 22psi approx each time (difficult to tell as i am to busy driving to notice properly)

I have a sandwich plate on the oil filter running an oil pressure and oil temp guage and a boost pressure guage. The pick up for the boost pressure is screwed into th top of the plenum chamber on the inlet.

They are what they are, most lie to the fuel rail pressure sensor and give a lower reading ecu responds by upping pressure, now your injecting more fuel easy as.
I've been running a box for over 4 years on my 16v no problems.
Be aware nothings free , a box will work your pump harder, work your injectors harder, cause some excess sooting over std, may cause some injection start of injection issues and may lead to excess inj after tdc which may lead to excessive exhaust manifold temperature, which may lead to boost creep and turbo overspeeding etc.
A bad remap can also give you all the above, and unless you spend endless hours data logging and test running measuring all these parameters you would probably never know nor care about.
I'd say if you want 30hp quick and easily reversible go box and don't get greedy, set it low and tweak it up over several weeks until you get to a point you notice no increase in power but more black smoke then tweak back a bit. Otherwise your just injecting more fuel than can burn.
If you want more or like things to be right remap.
Tuning box will throw your mpg way out so ignore it. Start brim to brim calculations now and keep track manually.
I think my mpg dropped with tuning box but I regularly use the extra power.
I've seen some recent threads on new boxes that control injector duration like remap but price is probably getting similar to a remap
Try reading this
http://www.tdocuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12522&sid=19554e9cd509d7585f26bba4f0ce7c2b
Not seen or heard of so not a recommendation just I've read it.

Thanks for that buddy, that looks really interesting, although i am feeling theurge to get a tuning box as i would love more power. thanks for your help buddy

i am running about 165hp on a remap that i have had on the car for 15k miles with no problems. Don't notice any heat soak or loss of boost pressure when changing gear 22psi approx each time (difficult to tell as i am to busy driving to notice properly)

I have a sandwich plate on the oil filter running an oil pressure and oil temp guage and a boost pressure guage. The pick up for the boost pressure is screwed into th top of the plenum chamber on the inlet.

Thanks buddy, do you have any pictures of the plenum i am very new to diesel cars so wouldn't know where the plenum chamber is, also do you have the specs for the sandwich plate on teh oil filter or is it of the shelf item. thanks in advance

cheers

robin

meanwhile, if you take the engine cover off, look towards the rear of the engine and to the right of it. See the plastic pipe running up from the bottom front of the engine. Thats from your turbo and it goes to the throttle body. This is then connected to the chamber, and is aluminium.
The sandwich plate i had in the garage from when i had a honda integra which fitted the fiat.

Back