Technical Is the MTA gearbox any good?

Currently reading:
Technical Is the MTA gearbox any good?

DavidU

I am about to take the plunge on a Competizione cabriolet but am still wandering about which gearbox i should get...

From a lazy and commuting point of view i would prefer an auto which has good flappy paddles for when the urge (or opportunity) takes me to have some fun.

I have a couple of drives lined up shortly with my local dealer (in Slough) so i can drive both - but a test drive doesn't let you know what it's like to live with something a bit more long term. :bang:

So anyone with an MTA box (pref on a Competizione) - what are they like living with on a daily basis? Are the changes in auto mode quick and smooth or slow and 'lollopy'. Better in manual or still slow enough to spoil that sporty feeling?
I read that in sport mode the changes are quicker - any truth in this?

Thanks! (y)

I am about to take the plunge on a Competizione cabriolet but am still wandering about which gearbox i should get...

From a lazy and commuting point of view i would prefer an auto which has good flappy paddles for when the urge (or opportunity) takes me to have some fun.

I have a couple of drives lined up shortly with my local dealer (in Slough) so i can drive both - but a test drive doesn't let you know what it's like to live with something a bit more long term. :bang:

So anyone with an MTA box (pref on a Competizione) - what are they like living with on a daily basis? Are the changes in auto mode quick and smooth or slow and 'lollopy'. Better in manual or still slow enough to spoil that sporty feeling?
I read that in sport mode the changes are quicker - any truth in this?

Thanks! (y)

I really can't be of much help to you on this one since

1. never driven a MTA or even a dualogic
2. never drove a 595

This thread (Click here) describes the experience of one who drove the Competizione with the MTA and some inputs from others on 'breaking in' the Sabelts including the reputed gains from a Monza.

This one came from another forum on the long term test of the MTA where the owner go used to it and got to like it.

I remember when Tony got his first drive in a A500C which initially only came with the MTA (no manual) he didn't like it but some improvements seem to have taken place on the 595. I would imagine that this fine tuning would also apply to the current day standard A500C but I can't be sure.

In the 695 which only comes with the MTA Ferrari engineers where involved in the fine tuning of it. The 695 produces 180bhp and I was surprised that no beefing up in the C510 gearbox took place. This supposedly had a better gear change and I can't help thinking that this was carried over to the 595.

Also if you check our grimwau's thread on the 595 Turismo you'll see that it's possible to adjust the parameters of the MTA without having to engage Sport mode for the better gear change.

Last edited:
A load more useful info - thanks! :D

I am borrowing a 595C MTA this weekend so will post my feedback early next week. I quizzed the dealer about the 695 gearbox and he said it does have different (faster) software in it and claimed the 695 map couldn't be put onto a 595 - but really interesting to read that Grimwau had his box tweaked (oo-er!) for better changes!

It's more about torque than the box software. The gear change in SS/595 is better than the lower bhp models. The gearbox is also learning from your driving style. After a week or so you'll learn to master it - takes a bit of skill.

The box itself isn't much different to a manual and some owners are running 250 bhp+

A load more useful info - thanks! :D

I am borrowing a 595C MTA this weekend so will post my feedback early next week. I quizzed the dealer about the 695 gearbox and he said it does have different (faster) software in it and claimed the 695 map couldn't be put onto a 595 - but really interesting to read that Grimwau had his box tweaked (oo-er!) for better changes!

Still waiting. :D

Oh yes sorry, memory like a sieve etc etc

The 595C Turismo MTA loan car was great fun! The gearbox is great i don't know what people are complaining about! It may not be multi-clutch like the AMG Mercs I have been used to driving but in sport mode is it fast enough and snaps between gears in a way that is remoniscant of an SMG gearbox on an M3.
The traffic light grand-prix racing starts are hopeless but I am sure with a bit of fiddling about I will find a way to make it take off like a scolded cat :D

I did throw the car around quite a bit and the suspension is quite hard which makes for a bumpy ride on country roads but it handles well.

With the roof down i found there was loads of wind noise which was very intrusive and was pleased when i discovered there is a little clip to lock the wind deflector down which makes it a much nicer place :)

The child seat was an interesting experience. My little one was 6 months and still in her removable carseat when i borrowed the car. It does fit in the back but the front passenger seat had to be pushed forward almost as far as it can go to do so which means Mrs U had to sit with her legs squished diagonal to the seat which was v uncomfortable and unusuable for long journeys. I could not even fit in the passenger seat with the carseat in! the infant seat which little 'un will be in shortly is much better and makes passengering acceptable!

I was lucky enough to be invited to Goodwood by Abarth and got to do the hill climb in a 595C Competizione MTA. Now that was fun!

...As you can probably guess i was impressed and as soon as took the loan car back i ordered my new Competizione MTA in red/black with grey leather Sabelts... I beleive it left the factory a few weeks ago so i should get delivery in the next week fingers crossed... How exciting! (y)

You can learn a method of launch control and hold the clutch at biting point, but the depends on the driving style learned by the MTA ECU and driver experience (y)

Oh yes sorry, memory like a sieve etc etc

The 595C Turismo MTA loan car was great fun! The gearbox is great i don't know what people are complaining about! It may not be multi-clutch like the AMG Mercs I have been used to driving but in sport mode is it fast enough and snaps between gears in a way that is remoniscant of an SMG gearbox on an M3.
The traffic light grand-prix racing starts are hopeless but I am sure with a bit of fiddling about I will find a way to make it take off like a scolded cat :D

I did throw the car around quite a bit and the suspension is quite hard which makes for a bumpy ride on country roads but it handles well.

With the roof down i found there was loads of wind noise which was very intrusive and was pleased when i discovered there is a little clip to lock the wind deflector down which makes it a much nicer place :)

The child seat was an interesting experience. My little one was 6 months and still in her removable carseat when i borrowed the car. It does fit in the back but the front passenger seat had to be pushed forward almost as far as it can go to do so which means Mrs U had to sit with her legs squished diagonal to the seat which was v uncomfortable and unusuable for long journeys. I could not even fit in the passenger seat with the carseat in! the infant seat which little 'un will be in shortly is much better and makes passengering acceptable!

I was lucky enough to be invited to Goodwood by Abarth and got to do the hill climb in a 595C Competizione MTA. Now that was fun!

...As you can probably guess i was impressed and as soon as took the loan car back i ordered my new Competizione MTA in red/black with grey leather Sabelts... I beleive it left the factory a few weeks ago so i should get delivery in the next week fingers crossed... How exciting! (y)

On my dualogic box there is a launch control style start that is written in the handbook. You turn off ASR floor the throttle while stationary and the car doesnt take off until it reaches maximum torque so you end up with a lot of wheelspin. Try it out and see how it works in the abarth it should have an option like that. It is quite fast and dramatic and if you know how to time it you can fly out of the traffic lights.

Dont do it too much though, may damage the clutch in the long term,

It's more about torque than the box software. The gear change in SS/595 is better than the lower bhp models. The gearbox is also learning from your driving style. After a week or so you'll learn to master it - takes a bit of skill.

The box itself isn't much different to a manual and some owners are running 250 bhp+

Hi there,
Newby to your forum, but an Abarth 500 C. Essesse owner for over a year now.
I'm one of the mad ones running over 250hp through a MTA box and its holding out ok for now :slayer:

I do have a funny problem. With my original ECU in and all my mods I get smooth gear changes in auto mode, but with my modified ECU programmed for the mods and loads of power, I have the problem that the gearbox ECU and Fuel ECU don't seems to be talking properly.
It does not cut the ignition and fuel between gear changes in both manual or auto, resulting in a rev climb and clutch slide between gears. Very annoying and not good for the clutch. I basically have to take my foot off the accelerator peddle on each shift to get it synchronised.
:cry::bang::mad:
I'm pushing about 220hp and 300NM on the standard ECU and just over 255hp and 350NM on the reprogrammed one. I did not think the torque settings etc would be that greatly different for the gear changes, so what can it be?
Any suggestions from those with MTA boxes and reflashed ECUs???

We can do a data dump here in Perth and get a remote program reflashed, and dyno, but we don't have the facility to remap on a live dyno.

Basically it's impossible to drive the car in auto mode now :cry: and wife is not amused at all. (n)

Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this issue??

Thanks
Tony

Tony I think I recognise you from Abarthisti. The best bet might be to use a 695 Tributo map as a starting point. Looking today at my options for a remap, tuners using KESSv2 may have a solution. If you look on Alientech's site they list the 695 Tributo so I'm assuming they have mapped one before.

Alientech are a worldwide distributor so with any luck they may have a dealer is Oz who can download it. It may be that the map you have is for a manual. Worth checking out.

Nadeem

Thanks Nadeem, ( yes that's me from Abathisti )
Yes I have found a local tuner that has access to two forms of software and knows the Bosch units very well.
I will advise him on the KESS v2 option and contact them.
Cheers
Tony

Back