Technical Is my clutch cable the wrong type?

Currently reading:
Technical Is my clutch cable the wrong type?

Hi, i have just got a Cinquecento Sporting that was missing the clutch cable. Not a problem i thought, so went to FL Autos in Rippingale and got one. Firstly it cost £15, sounded steep to me, is this about right? Anyway, went to fit it today and the end that attached to the inside of the car will not fit. It is a closed loop, but i can't fit it to the white plactic rocker as this has just a hole in it. I have (hopefully) attached a picture of the end, on the page in the Haynes book showing the hook style version, which looks right to me. So what have i been sold? Is this how non-sporting ones are? Or is it to suit a LHD car? I will not be able to get back to the dealer until next week, so do you know if Halfrauds sell them as i wanted to finish the job this weekend. Thanks.

Attachments

• clutch.JPG
    clutch.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 20
i had several go in the life of the car. The are apparently made of a weak metal

I have the packaging, the part number is 46406436, but the packaging was ripped open when i bought it, so it may have had the wrong part in. I will try and get it swapped next week.

But, thinking about it, Haynes just shows one type, usually there would be a note about one type fitting, then add a note about alternatives. Can anyone with a sporting look under the front passanger side of the dash and see how the cable fits and see if its like the end in the picture, or as shown in Haynes?

Last edited:
that is the same design as on the fiat eper parts cd

that is a better design than the hook one, but quite rightly it will not fit to plastic triangle bit, could you not put a bolt through them both, that is how the 'unbreakble' cable is attached, it is a bit of a bugger to fit but all the pressure isnt put on the hook angle - the place where is is most likely to break

I think i am going to keep this cable as it certainly looks stronger than the 'hook' type, (and there are too many messages on here about snapped cables) it is the right length, so i am going to make up a pair of small plates to attach it to the nylon pivot. I dont want to just bolt through as it will not then pull in a straight line, which could damage the cable end or the nylon pivot. But i would still like to know what this actual cable is, just incase there is an existing way of attaching it. Could it be a Seicento cable? are their ends different? If i can identify the cable and make a good adaptor then i will post up details on here and maybe it would be a good mod that others can copy.

Just checked ePER, it looks like a LHD cable, it comes through the bulkhead in the same place and just hooks over the top of the clutch pedal, doing away with all the push rods and pivots on RHD cars. It gives the same part number that i have got, so i am guessing that is the part number for a LHD car. Anyone have the part number for a RHD so i can comfirm this?

balidey said:
Hi, i have just got a Cinquecento Sporting that was missing the clutch cable. Not a problem i thought, so went to FL Autos in Rippingale and got one. Firstly it cost £15, sounded steep to me, is this about right? Anyway, went to fit it today and the end that attached to the inside of the car will not fit. It is a closed loop, but i can't fit it to the white plactic rocker as this has just a hole in it. I have (hopefully) attached a picture of the end, on the page in the Haynes book showing the hook style version, which looks right to me. So what have i been sold? Is this how non-sporting ones are? Or is it to suit a LHD car? I will not be able to get back to the dealer until next week, so do you know if Halfrauds sell them as i wanted to finish the job this weekend. Thanks.

It looks like the LHD type or wrong cable. The one you want is an offset rod with the end bent 90deg with a hole for a split pin. The 900/1100 cables should be the same.The LHD Cinq does not have the foot pedal linkages and has a short cable.

Back