General Is it worth it??

Currently reading:
General Is it worth it??

algarnett

I've been offered a 2000 1.2 punt mk2 8v for 650 quid. Silver 40 000 miles just had new head gasket fitted by car dealer. Is it worth it? What is it worth?:)

I've been offered a 2000 1.2 punt mk2 8v for 650 quid. Silver 40 000 miles just had new head gasket fitted by car dealer. Is it worth it? What is it worth?:)

that's very good assuming everything else is good

whats the history like?

even if it hasn't been serviced very much with the money you save you can sort it out and pars are as cheap as anything for 8v

shop4parts do nice cheap parts and if you donate to the forum you can get a code for an extra 10% off

that's very good assuming everything else is good

whats the history like?

even if it hasn't been serviced very much with the money you save you can sort it out and pars are as cheap as anything for 8v

shop4parts do nice cheap parts and if you donate to the forum you can get a code for an extra 10% off

It's from a second hand car dealer so I'm guessing he's bought it due to the head gasket going to make some money once fixed. Step dads done a few deals with him before so he was offered it for 900 and now it's down to 650 so just hope I get it:)

It's from a second hand car dealer so I'm guessing he's bought it due to the head gasket going to make some money once fixed. Step dads done a few deals with him before so he was offered it for 900 and now it's down to 650 so just hope I get it:)

it will be a very good deal but when/if you do get it make sure you spend a bit of money giving it some tlc

full service ect, cam belt if you dont know when its been done but 8v's are safe engines so its not the end of the world if it does go

it will be a very good deal but when/if you do get it make sure you spend a bit of money giving it some tlc

full service ect, cam belt if you dont know when its been done but 8v's are safe engines so its not the end of the world if it does go

I can service it myself but how much do you reckon a cam belt change is from average garage? Cheers for your help

If you know what your doing and have a cam locker (easy to make one)

then you can do a cam belt change for around £20 - £40 depending where you buy the belt.

for garages it will be around 10% that price, plus time. which should only be an hour.

so looking around £40 - £70 from a garage.

Last edited:
for the service you want oil, oil filter, coolant flush and fresh coolant, spark plugs and maybe leads depending on condition and also do the cam cover gasket (guide in the guides section) fuel filter isnt a serviceable part on these cars but if you really want to do it then you have to change the whole fuel pump as its built in, of course air filter and of course check the brakes and brake disks

oil you need is 5w40 semi synth and it holds 3.74 litres but obviously go by the dip stick selinia is best and is what is used by fiat

i don't have a clue about prices im afraid so ring around some local garages but while its being done get them to do the water pump and tensioners might aswell while the belt is off and shouldn't cost any extra labour just parts

Get a really close look at radiator and engine core plugs. The HG may have blown because its leaking somewhere. Its not big deal parts are cheap but dont plan any long runs until you know the rad is ok.

Get a really close look at radiator and engine core plugs. The HG may have blown because its leaking somewhere. Its not big deal parts are cheap but dont plan any long runs until you know the rad is ok.

Was going to empty cooling system and check for pressure leakage. What are the rad and core plugs?

Rad = radiator

Core plug = google it

Actually its the thin metal plugs used to fill core holes in the engine casting.

Back