Is Fiat in the UK about to die?

Currently reading:
Is Fiat in the UK about to die?

kuliand

Is it time to give up on Fiat ever coming out with a new car? The new 500 was supposed to be here in both 2017 and 2018 but there’s no news of it. The Panda now has zero euro ncap stars but there’s no sign of a replacement in the next 18 months still.

The Panda was facelifted in 2017 and the replacement will be here next year.

The 500 is well overdue replacement, but still selling well. The rest of the 500 range is a little more niche, but I do see a fair number of 500X on the road, but not many of the horrible small MPV type thing.

Whilst the Tipo is finding homes with people who would have bought a Kia before they put prices up to Ford and Vauxhall levels.

It's a shame there's no Punto replacement and we know that big Fiats don't sell, so we won't see a new Croma. That's where Alfa sit in the market.

I'm actually more concerned by Alfa - they now only really have the Giulia and Stelvio to offer, as the Giulietta is now nearly 10 years old and desperately needs updating.

Turn the clock back a few years ago and I mean literally only a few years ago when newer 319 Panda came out, it did well on the NCAP tests at the time. I wouldn't worry about NCAP latest re-test on the Panda.

Last edited:
Turn the clock back a few years ago and I mean literally only a few years ago when newer 319 Panda came out, it did well on the NCAP tests at the time. I wouldn't worry about NCAP latest re-test on the Panda.

What revision of Panda are you not worrying about?

Several different sources are talking about major panda development upgrades within this year.

So there is still a fair chance of a newer ..safer...derivative

Back when it came out other cars where similarly safe, now time moves on and cars become much stronger heavier and of course safer, the likes of the little old panda would be very unlikely to fare very well against something brand new if it went head to head.

The current panda is only an evolution of the one that was on drawing boards in 2002/3

The Mk2 Punto was a 4* NCAP back around 2000 and only missed out on 5* because there were no side airbags.

Things move on and cars got blobby and heavy. Even the little Panda got blobby(er) and a lot less cool.

Is it time to give up on Fiat ever coming out with a new car? The new 500 was supposed to be here in both 2017 and 2018 but there’s no news of it. The Panda now has zero euro ncap stars but there’s no sign of a replacement in the next 18 months still.
I do worry about Fiat. They've completely neglected their main customer base, and are very much putting all their eggs in the 500 basket.

Well it looks like Fiat/FCA as an integrated business serving customers (who buy cars) and independent service agents (no main dealer) trying to purchase and register diagnostic kit etc. are facing all sorts of issues.

I think many of us Fiat owners have had issues with the various aspects of the Fiat UK dealership/Fiat UK etc. but thankfully in most cases we get a resolution but are left with a bad taste.

I was just today talking to an independent garage who has bought in good faith Fiat's WiiTech II kit/pod/registration fees and can not get the products/hardware registered and accepted by the UK eLINK system. Numerous Emails and phone calls result in nothing. Looking at their official invoice they phoned the telephone number. This turned out to be the product manufacturing plant who were totally unable to help with registration/validation systems.

IMHO there is a Fiat UK, and dare I say a wider EU/other country integration of fundamental functions that service customers, independent garages, similar. They just seem to focus only on their authorised dealers and *F* the rest.

If Fiat UK about to die?

Well I think not just yet but they have a shed load of issues to address. Firstly there are now many 124 Spider drivers feeling a bit pissed off as the UK has withdrawn this model. I won't address the spares issues where Fiat are poor performers.

But we have seen a large model retraction in the UK Fiat range.

The Panda has just recently had a nail in it's coffin over the new NCAP ratings (nil points).

The 124 ceased except for Abarth version.

The Tipo struggling, a good car and good prices.

The 500 - still going well and well received.

But here is going to be the end of the line for Fiat UK unless they address all issues raised.

Another thought crossed my mind from my my many years in industry is that you can make loads of money from intellectual property rights and never ship a product.

Fiat have pioneered most/many of the automotive technologies and licensed then to Bosch, TRW, …., …. , ….

For every car sold by BMW, Mercedes, etc then there will be some revenue back to Fiat. Fiat also may have to pay others. But when you look at the whole Fiat/FCA/? group then it is a huge business of which your personal 4 wheels are just a small bump.

I think the real crunch for Fiat will come in the next ten years. The electric market evolution and mass deployment with all the expected customer experience trimmings.

For now I guess we have to wait / watch / pray …...

It's looking like the buying Crysler/Jeep was a genius move especially as that is probably what will survive when the Fiat parent falls down the Italian/Euro bonds black hole.

Fiat fail massively on advertising their products. You see the very occasional tv advert of the 500 range. I see no Tipo / 124 adverts. I know the 124 has now been pulled apart from Abarth versions. The Tipo is a good car and that isn't being bias but again the future of this model is up in the air.

When did you last see Fiat cars/vans on show in a shopping mall or at an event (not necessarily car related) or on a bill board?

Fiat should be everywhere in my opinion but for some reason they like to keep their products a well kept secret.

Fiat fail massively on advertising their products. You see the very occasional tv advert of the 500 range. I see no Tipo / 124 adverts. I know the 124 has now been pulled apart from Abarth versions. The Tipo is a good car and that isn't being bias but again the future of this model is up in the air.

When did you last see Fiat cars/vans on show in a shopping mall or at an event (not necessarily car related) or on a bill board?

Fiat should be everywhere in my opinion but for some reason they like to keep their products a well kept secret.

Indeed. The TV advert presence in the UK is now very low. Was good when new models (500, 500X, 124) were released but basically a quick sales "flash in the pan" attempt.

As a 500X driver me and my wife are still waiting, having bought a 500X, for those special little blue pills to arrive in the post. :D

As for shopping mall / general public retail display I don't think I've ever seen one. At one of the biggest flagship Sainsburys sites in the UK I regularly see Kia, Volvo, etc. but never ever a Fiat, Alfa or Abarth presence.

I 'love Fiat, my Fiats will still buy Fiats but loyalty is being severely tried ans tested.

I don't like Ford except for one model I would buy tomorrow if Fiat pissed me off beyond recall. FORD MUSTANG!

A brand and model that has survived the generations. Just like the Fiat 500 their is ground, traction and heritage but you have to keep this atmosphere and presence alive.

Yeah but.. there's always an assumption round the Fiat forums that Fiat is neglecting their range, their dealers and their customers deliberately, just to annoy us.. :D

Fiat has always been skint.. at least since the 1970's when they managed to invent the 127. That saved the day for a while until they became skint again in the 1980's but luckily they found an Uno from somewhere.

Other than the odd bit of Panda and Punto things were bleak for a while until 500. Fiat had a manufacturing base in Italy, where it's just plain old expensive to make cars but that was their main market (50% of their sales went there once) so they persevered with it.

Having no money means no investment. They managed to get a factory in Poland and they managed to grow South America.. but they also had some bad luck:

Poland lasted a few years until it came out of the iron curtain and the workers wanted "western" wages.

Their joint venture plant in Serbia was commandeered by the government to make spares for tanks during the Bosnian war, so the USAF promptly dropped a stack of ordnance on it...

Their factory in Iran was... in Iran.. aka the mad mullahs managed to get their industrial products embargoed for export..

Fiat's venture with Indian and Chinese firms were "late to the party" (with all that ^^ going on) so they ended up with partners who were frankly ****e.

The bright spots have been dominating the South American market, the venture with Tofas in Turkey and the Chrysler buy-out.

The Chrysler buy-out in particular is lucrative but it cost enough to delay the Alfa renaissance and it required a comprehensive re-organisation of the US dealer network and production facilities. Remember that Daimler, who owned it when it went bust, couldn't do it even after 20 years... and they went bust.

While that's been going on, cash-flow has been a bit hard to come by.. so no new Punto (Sergio reckoned there was no point while car sales had tanked in Europe, since it was essentially a European car) and no development into new tech (electric).

Now, again apparently belated but you have to consider the context ^^ FCA is developing a range of electric and hybrid vehicles. They had to really.. not only did they not have any, but the new WLTP fuel/emission standards were killing off their existing engines (hence why a few older engines have been phased out lately).

There will be a new Panda.. FCA have poked this out:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/05...9jqoGkfFSafudAYxPtbDMUOMvtdRldEp8nzpcD399rMUF

It looks like a bit like a 126 to me but they called it "Centoventi" (120) after the company's birthday. The virtual concept is all electric... but suggestions (wishful thinking? :D ) say that this will be a new platform that will form the basis of a Panda, 500 and also a Punto/Ypsilon replacement.

It's just slow... but Fiat is like a rather big but skint football club.. one eye on the glory days.. trying to get back there... but not much cash and in danger of losing its stadium to property developers... :D

Let's see what they can turn out...

Ralf S.

Last edited:
The Fiat empire/conglomerate is actually far bigger that you think. Cars is just a small. For example TekSkid is the largest supplier of aluminium cylinder heads to the world wide industry. Or possibly was.

Then there are all the other offshoots. Artificial hearts, agricultural machinery, etc.

Yes the Fiat cars may die out but I think cars are part of their DNA so "something car like" will potentially always exist. Might turn out to be a Smart car in reverse story :)

Yes... but the Empire doesn't send troops bearing Euro's to the beleagured outposts of Melfi, Pomgliano and Pratola Sera.. :D It's kind of a bit "the last days of the Roman Empire" in that respect.

On the other hand, Jeep is worth a fortune and Alfa is probably worth disproportionately more than the sum of its assets (not to mention a handy loss-maker, to save the Empire from paying more taxes than it has to...) :D so I doubt that Fiat would struggle to get finance... but Sergio's plan was for Fiat to be debt free. I believe that it finally is.

Sergio was quite astute in some other ways and wasn't so sentimental about things like keeping existing customers. :D His view what that when they launched the "next Punto" (for instance) then if it was good enough, the punters would buy it even if they didn't have a Fiat already.

I think common wisdom says an existing punter is easier to sell to than a new one... but when the 500 came out, it thrashed that idea. Sergio reckoned that if you *ever* had a Fiat, then it's (almost?) the same as currently having one. He might have been right (although that's probably more true for Alfa than for Fiat).

It's promising that the "120" exists at least.. it would unlock a lot of development options that don't actually exist at the moment (current Panda/Ypsi' have probably taken the 500 platform as far as it can go, and no Punto is a glaring miss.. ) :eek:

I think we'll be living on scraps for a while yet (although I think I've been saying that for the last decade). The new CEO (once they have their feet under the desk) will decide how it goes. If he's a car guy, then happy days.. if he's an accountant, then they'll close the shop, invest in a wind-farm and live off their tech' backlog patent royalties... :D

Ralf S.

Last edited:
Yeah but.. there's always an assumption round the Fiat forums that Fiat is neglecting their range, their dealers and their customers deliberately, just to annoy us.. :D

Fiat has always been skint..

There will be a new Panda.. FCA have poked this out:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/05...9jqoGkfFSafudAYxPtbDMUOMvtdRldEp8nzpcD399rMUF

Fiat have never been as rich as they are now most of which has been achieved by spinning off Ferrari, and the buy out of jeep, which they were able to do, almost entirely off the back of the fiat 500 success and the massive success of the multijet engine which fiat sold all over the world including to manufacturers of heavy plant machinery to use as a starter motor.

Now Sergio had always had the attention span of a magpie, if it was shiny and earning money, why change it and keep chasing it, if however something wasn’t successful he quickly lost interest and ditched it.

The reason the 500 has lasted so long is because it kept selling. The punto too sold very well but when sales dropped and with Sergio’s concentration being on jeep in let it die as it wasn’t of interest to him any more, so what was once fiats best selling car is now and will remain dead.

The restructure of the fiat brand has been laid out. In the future they will likely only have 2 cars the Fiat panda and the 500. The 500x is successful but also treads on the toes and uses the same tech as jeep, so it remains to be seen if that survives.

The car you posted the link to at Geneva this week is only a concept and if it makes it to production will be very different. It will be a very basic and cheap electric car with a bad range of only about 100 km. if you want it to go further you will have to pay to upgrade it. You want it in anything other than grey, you will have to pay after market for it to be painted or wrapped. It will be strictly a very cheap utilitarian car. At the almost total opporsite end of the spectrum will be the new (brand new) fiat 500 which fiat anounced will be out at the same Geneva show this time next year. It will be a premium car and will likely cost €25k+ this will come as an all electric model and there will still be a petrol engine option but the move will be toward the 500 being a much more premium car like the Mini

Fiat is trying to move it’s brand and image upwards as the only real way for them to make more money is not through selling more cars but selling more expensive cars. The new panda-esq car will be as cheap as possible to not lose ground gained in places like India and South America, it won’t really be aimed at the European market.

This is they lie if the land as things stand at the moment, Fiat however are very good at changing their minds when it suites so if it goes this way we will have to wait and see.

When other companies are developing the next model as soon as a new model launches. The fiat approach has always been to wait and see and only replace it if absolutely needed, then do it as cheap as possible. Later model puntos are the epitome if this ethos as is the panda which essentially only got a midlife facelift. The 500 face lift. The 500L was a hatchet job and the 500XL was a complete waste of time. The 500x was the only sensible car they have produced in a long time, totally new model to fill a hole in their line up, well designed and built for a fiat, but terrible marketing and lost interest, even though it could be a very good little seller.

I dunno.. that seems a bit of a jaded view.

For sure FCA has no debts now, for the first time in about 80 years, but that only happened last year, so any plans that Sergio had (i.e. to build not much new at all) would have been tied to that objective.

The Chrysler-Jeep thing wasn't planned.. it was an opportunity that just appeared out of the blue and it was too good to miss. It delayed plans for Alfa's renaissance and it also put the spanner in the works of a next Punto which (as I understand it) was on the verge of being approved back in 2008.

Sergio apparently neglected the firm in other ways.... (Lancia, anyone?) but diverting attention to Chrysler (not just buying it, but introducing new, efficient models in order to get the remaining US-govt held stake for free) needed people and money.

I'm not convinced the 120 concept is only going to spawn the cheap-as-chips electric runabout. At the moment the "4-wheel Sinclair C5" you describe with the mono-colour option and low-range is just "the concept".

In real life the production 120 might be more like a normal car (any colour you like as long as you pay £500 for it.. :D and a range of 120 miles on leccy, depending on how battery tech develops... etc. but I think there would also have to be a petrol engine "something" (Panda proper?) and that could be built from some, all or most of the 120 parts.

Whether there is or is not a petrol "something", it does not mean the platform they build for the 120 can't be used for anything else.

The "next 500" has vexed Fiat for a while (that needs a new platform) as has the absence of a Punto and the need (obligation?) to replace the Ypsilon. Fiat was looking at modifying the 500X/L platform to make a Punto but concluded that was too big to easily downsize. If they have a new Panda platform, on the other hand, then that potentially solves 500, Ypsilon and Panda problems at one stroke.

But I dunno what FCA will do (I doubt FCA knows what FCA will do) just that if they have a platform then the chances are better than if they don't.

It will depend on the next CEO and what their attitude to spending money is. I guess they'll prioritize some electrification first and that means that any platform that involves or can adopt "leccy" will be near the front of the queue.. so this 120 followed by the small-cars they could spin off it, would seem to have a good chance.

Ralf S.

I'm not convinced the 120 concept is only going to spawn the cheap-as-chips electric runabout. At the moment the "4-wheel Sinclair C5" you describe with the mono-colour option and low-range is just "the concept".

The 120 is a concept, Fiat rarely makes concepts and rarer than that are any that turn into something that makes it to market. This is fiat basically announcing its intention to start making things that don’t run on petrol, however the 500 is not ready yet so consider this their first warning shot to other manufacturers, of their intentions.

The "next 500" has vexed Fiat for a while (that needs a new platform) as has the absence of a Punto and the need (obligation?) to replace the Ypsilon. Fiat was looking at modifying the 500X/L platform to make a Punto but concluded that was too big to easily downsize. If they have a new Panda platform, on the other hand, then that potentially solves 500, Ypsilon and Panda problems at one stroke.

He 500 replacement has to come the future of the brand basically depends on the 500. They also need to modernise with electric cars so the announced electric 500 to see the light of day a year from now is no surprise, it’s well into development and it will physically exist in a room somewhere at fiat R&D department.

They don’t need to replace the punto or the ypsilon. They have killed the punto and they have killed Lancia and basically stated in the press that they have no intention to replace the Lancia.

What I’m interested to know where you are coming up with all this stuff about modifying this or that platform etc because all I’m talking about is what has been published in the press, you appear to be plucking information out of the air or your own opinions and ideas and presenting them as fact?

Please give me all your references for the information you are claiming to be the case?

This looks good and even the rear 3/4 looks cool which most cars don't. My only grumble is the high boxy bonnet but I expect that's down to pedestrian impact rules.

The 60 miles each modular batteries are a great idea. If the same packs are used across the range they'll cut production costs. I wonder if Fiat have considered offering them as part of a house powerwall for when the car does not need the extra capacity.

190305_Fiat_Concept_Centoventi_10.jpg

1551979888_Fiat-Centoventi-evidenza-696x390.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/6/1...tomize-concept-modular-geneva-motor-show-2019

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/07/fiat-centoventi-customization-for-all/

Last edited:
I have a nasty feeling that Andy is right. Sergio completely neglected Fiat and Alfa Romeo in favour of Chrysler and jeep. Had he have not bothered with Chrysler, Fiat and Alfa might well be in better positions today. I feel that instead of saving Fiat, Sergio has merely delayed its death. It's tragic really.

Last edited:
Back