Technical Is EGR Cleaning Effective on Ducatos?

Currently reading:
Technical Is EGR Cleaning Effective on Ducatos?

SailorBob

I just got an EGR code and apparant sticking on the EGR causing loss of power on my 2010 2.3L TD and am wondering if anyone has had success cleaning the EGR on these vehicles or is it better to just go ahead and replace it? This is the one that is vacuum activated and uses a separate solenoid to regulate vacuum to the EGR.

EGR-Replacement.png

I can't speak with experience BUT I met a fellow traveling friend a week ago who had a spare EGR (it was his old one) in his 2008 2.3. He was going to clean it and replace the one on his engine. I checked the part to see if it was still ok. As long as the vacuum part (with the rubber 'seal') is working I don't see why you couldn't clean it... I am planning to do the same on my 3.0 when I get back home, as preventive maintenance.

Hi Sailorbob

I don't think there is any direct electrical position feedback to the ECU with this type of EGR, so I guess it must use an indirect method to detect a fault i.e. by measuring other sensor outputs and performing a calculation of EGR flow.

Once you take it off, it should be obvious if it is blocked, or if the vacuum diaphragm actuator is faulty/leaking

There is also an EGR cooler which would be worth checking for carbon/oil buildup

Just as a note to anyone who might find it useful. The reason I was getting an EGR code was because the are intake hose was collapsed. This was choking the engine and causing the EGR code...

Back