IMG_0150.JPG

Stilo Ipad install!

Introduction

Hello guys im new to forum!, not sure if any one has done it before but here is my ipad install!. And my sub box i built today which need carpeting! Any suggestions would be great!

IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG

What you think guys?

Cheers yatesy
I was just thinking last week about doing the same thing!

Only problems I could see were: no radio, difficulty with interfacing the steering wheel controls, not sure about the music-playing interface (when turned sideways, I think it goes into an album cover-flipping mode?)

So I'll be really interested to see how it works out! :)
I'm thinking of building a car PC as an ultimate solution - need to find a double-DIN capacitive touchscreen to get anywhere near the quality of the iPad's touchscreen, seems really expensive. I'd want to run Centrafuse as the front end. Hopefully a dual-core Atom processor would be powerful enough (but maybe not, might need a power-hungry i3 which costs three times as much).

In the meantime I'm using a Chinese head unit with its own special software, and Windows CE with GPS. You can read about it in the thread on here: https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/318857-product-review-special-stilo-dvd-gps-stereo-china.html This will be for sale to the right person and at the right price... less than I paid, for sure, though I think it's a worthwhile improvement on Connect Nav+ which just doesn't hack it any more ;)

-Alex

Last edited:
Thanks, I didn't mean first to install an ipad I ment first in stilo, and here's a little info about the ipad install is held in by a smart magnet! It also has a charger port in there that it slides into, this is then connected to a headunit in the upper glove box via USB to the back, there is an app on the ipad so you can control all the CD player settings as well as tune radio and volume. I ha a patch lead so steering wheel controls work! You actually don't need to go in glovebox as when ipad comments and discconets it auto turns on and off headunit! Ye a pc install would be good but I just like how simple it is to place ipad in and your away!.

Thanks for the good comments guys means a lot! Soon I will be making the facisia for ipad from plastic so will fit in nicer! And carpet the subs!

P.s the ipad doesn't cover flow on its side it comes up like this :
image.jpg

Cheers adam

Last edited:
That looks really tidy. If I keep mine I'm looking to do something similar. Not sure wether to try and keep the OEM look and mount a screen behind the connect nav facia or to do a fresh install. Either one would probably be a car PC. It's nice to see it done. 10/10 for bravery!!

Today i bought a double din facsia adapter!, Im going to cut it up amd mount my mount from behind so it looks like its sat in orginal double din which im gonna spray silver and i think its gonna look good!, If it works i have a jig made for the ipad cut out and mould so could easily start making these to fit straight in stilos!.
I also carpeted the sub housing today heres some photos!

IMG_0175.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG

Thanks Adam

Hi Adam,

I see you're using an iPad Mini. Looks really good and I think I'll go with this option now - I see so many problems with Car PCs. I'm having difficulty getting any 'proof of concepts' working (software keeps crashing on other PCs) and the actual hardware for my project seems doubtful - difficult to find a capacitive touchscreen, for example. There are many promises out there, but everything involves a load of hacking and many unknowns. :cry:

So - just need a few more specifics:

- which head unit has the best iPad remote app?
- can the head unit also skip tracks on the iPad, i.e. from the steering wheel control?
and probably most importantly,
- where can the iPad get its music from? I have all my music on my iPhone (for example), but an iPad seemingly wouldn't have access to that except over the Internet using iTunes Match, which would be an unrealistic amount of mobile data use.

Purchasing a 64GB iPad as a solution to the last problem is very expensive... so I'm searching to see whether there is a solution to share music from an iPhone or even iPod to an iPad.

-Alex

Last edited:
Hey alex,

Well I might be able to give you that smile you want for the day haha. I will try answer every question now.

- which head unit has the best iPad remote app?

There is one in halfords on offer atm 50% off i cant find link online i will look in store tomorrow!, and let you know

- can the head unit also skip tracks on the iPad, i.e. from the steering wheel control?

Yes it can, The head unit has a patch lead so all your steering wheel controls work, If you volume up, Skip, Pause it will do all of this on the ipad itself!.

and probably most importantly,
- where can the iPad get its music from? I have all my music on my iPhone (for example), but an iPad seemingly wouldn't have access to that except over the Internet using iTunes Match, which would be an unrealistic amount of mobile data use.

I want to do this to!, there are quite a few apps that im going to be testing which enable you to play the songs on your iPhone via bluetooth or wifi to the iPad and you control all the songs via the iPad when the songs are actually on your phone!.

Im waiting for my primer to set so i can wet send my holder and then i will upload some pics. Its looking really good and flush and holds in with the smart magent which is welded into the fibreglass to get the ipad out you push the bottom of the screen and the top flicks forward off the magnets and you can take the ipad out!.

I really would reccomend it to any one its amazing. I will update this better later tonight when i have some more infomation for you man

Cheers adam

Here is an update of how the iPad holder is going

Filler primed :

IMG_0191.JPG

Grey primed :

IMG_0193.JPG

Top coat ( Only had 1 coat so far ) :

IMG_0203.JPG

Its not perfect has a few little imperfections, But this is my first time at doing this sort of thing and iv tried to rush it :( as i go back to work tomorrow!. The actual part where the ipad sits in doesnt matter that its not perfect as its gonna have felt in there hence why i havent gone mad with sanding in there!

Thanks Adam

Hello, first of all congratulations on your fantastic project, I was thinking on a car pc for my 2003 Stilo 115hp JTD Sport, but there are to many technical dificulties. Your idea is very good and I am very interested on doing a similar thing.
Can you kindly provide the brand and model of the head unit you are using. The can bus interpreter you are using for the steering whell controls and the app you are using on your ipad.
I would apreciate it very much and I beliave a very large number of membrers will to.
Thank you

Back