internet problem???

Currently reading:
internet problem???

sportingsmissus

Established member
im connected to the internet via wireless network and for some its not connecting to any other site??? very confusing but the only site that will work is ff :confused: :confused: does anyone know why this could be?

already tried that one. :bang:

any more suggestions? trying to check my flight details ready for going away on tuesday.

if you're using Windows XP try

ipconfig -flushdns

This will empty the local DNS cache which windows uses to route traffic to the outside world, restarting your computer doesn't always work because the cache is persistant (i.e. it's not deleted once the computer is switched off).

EDIT: You need to run that from the command prompt |Start>Run| then type cmd, and then in the prompt window type the above.

Stuart DemonD said:
Shouldn't it be 'ipconfig /flushdns' at the command prompt?

maybe :) I would try it out... but I've not got a 'doze machine handy.

@ alex, put that command in box which brought a pop-up on screen for a second. but still only ff that works :bang:

the other way to fix it is...

start > control panel > internet connections
on the wireless connection, right click and properties
choose from the listbox the TCP/IP section then click properties.

then change between settin your internet gateway's ip as "use the following dns server addresses" and "obtain dns server address automatically" see which one suits you best

ok... sorry if this is a bit patronising, but what you need to do is:

go to the start menu

click 'Run'

then type "cmd" (as in c then m then d) and press enter

a black window with white writing will show up... try the command again ipconfig /flushdns or ipconfig /dnsflush (its one of those)

it should say something like "The command successfully completed" once its finnished :)

Last edited:
not patronising, im completly thick when it comes to computers usually leave it to stilosporting lol. :(

i think i may have spoken to soon. :cry: :bang: :cry:

Seraph said:
the other way to fix it is...

start > control panel > internet connections
on the wireless connection, right click and properties
choose from the listbox the TCP/IP section then click properties.

then change between settin your internet gateway's ip as "use the following dns server addresses" and "obtain dns server address automatically" see which one suits you best

And just to prove how dumb i am...

where would i find the ip address etc to put in the boxes to use the option 'use the following address'

:eek: :eek:

*runs to hide in embarrassment*

Back