Technical Intermittent Starting Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittent Starting Problem

do you know how to get to those bolts?

total novice
there is only 1 bolt holding the relay once you remove the black plastic cover i think its a 10mm nut holding it and you should be able to remove connector fairly easy

yeah i meant removing the black cover, there are two holes and sunk down there are two bolts as my video shows in the first 5 or so seconds

Last edited:
i am pretty sure they are bolts but will look tomorrow
had to abandon car at work

they are just philips head screws as im sick of tinkering under my bonnet i get very bored lol

right well will see does some tinkering get it going or as usual it might just come back to life by itself. tht relay will take a week from ebay too. so will update
cheers for all your help and tips, lets see have you solved the mystery!

well i know of a good few mk1s that had the relay replaced for various reasons lyk hopefully it will fix that problem lyk

Reason relays buzz is because not enough power to operate i.e less than 12v, if engine not turning over has to be on ignition / starter circuit, which is ignition switch and all battery / engine feeds and earths.
I still suspect ignition switch or engine earth. Jump lead needs to be connected from battery negative to any metal part of the engine, for example the cam cover.

ok looking for some advice here

got road side assistance out, he checked all the voltages and earths said everything was fine from turning the key and battery positive terminal etc and earths fine..so reckons it has to be the starter motor. he gave me a tow and got it started got it home, turned off engine, tried to start again, same deal - absolutley nothing.

i went to my mechanic who in July "removed the (recon) starter motor" put it back in and hey presto everything worked. i told him this time i want a new starter motor
He quoted me £160 for a new starter motor incl labour and VAT

so here is the dilemma, could it still just be this relay? or is it like roadside assistance said, definelty the starter. added further to the dilemma is MOT due in January, is it worth pumping £160 into this car only to find something else to be wrong in Jan

other option is to try do this myself or with help from a mate (i have the haynes manual), how hard is it?

suppose my main question is: given this knowledge now could it still just be that relay?

many thanks

Reason relays buzz is because not enough power to operate i.e less than 12v, if engine not turning over has to be on ignition / starter circuit, which is ignition switch and all battery / engine feeds and earths.
I still suspect ignition switch or engine earth. Jump lead needs to be connected from battery negative to any metal part of the engine, for example the cam cover.

i tried this and still nothing

Go out to the car and try it on the key, if it dont start give it direct 12volts via the battery, if it turns its not the starter.

roadside assistance tried all this kind of thing and no turning over but still said starter

Last edited:
earlier in this thread someone suggested it could simply be the fuel pump relay.

i am trying to see is there a way of ruling one out?

and also if it is the starter how easy is this to replace myself
garage charging £75 for starter and nearly £85 labour incl VAT

Not a bad price for the starter, you would need a few spanners, sockets and some blocks or a jack to work under the car, the fuel pump relay should have no effect on the starter, if the AA give the starter motor 12volt direct it by passes relays ect.

cheers

can the starter motor be done from above?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_remove_the_starter_motor_on_a_1998_punto

i have also found far far cheaper starter motors on breakers yard, given the cars age and mileage and the fact i dont really wanna spend too much in case the MOT throws up all sorts

i say from above cos i dont have a jack etc, and have to use on street parking (car cannot move at the moment)

it was the starter motor all along (i hope)
they bench tested the old one....nothing
picked up one from Puntos R Us for £15

back on the road....hopefully for long

Back