General intermittent squeaks

Currently reading:
General intermittent squeaks

bert9k

I was recently driving my panda (super 114k and counting) about and heard something like a small gerbil yapping under the bonnet somewhere. Was doing about 30-40 and it definitely seemed rotational derived as i confirmed with accelerating and it (squeaks) getting faster.
not sure i ruled out anything by putting it in neutral (no effect), however it did suddenly stop the noise when i took my foot off the gas and slight engine braking came into play.

I tried to put my ear all over the place but twas quite difficult on busy roads, what with 'due care and attention' needed whilst driving:)
want to put my money on speedo cable needing greasing - the sound seem ed to be be a bit too clear for it to be wheel bearings or anywhere down thereabouts.
anyone seconding the cable??

b.

Had you been through a big puddle or something? could be a wet belt?

It was deffo a wheelspin related noise, not revs, which makes me think wheels bearings, breaks, speedo, unless its a driveshaft/gearbox issue? -but was a very 'light' sound, and clutch down had no effect.
wasnt grinding or heavy so maybe not to worry about it, hasnt made a squeak in the last 80 miles and so may just leave it as is.

thanks
b/

Hmm i should have tried this ages ago, just jacked up the car up, and tried to spin the front o/s wheel, squeaks and grinds and not spinning with the engine on and in neutral like it used to...

Is it best to get a set of bearing for both sides and whats the cheapest way (breakers from a low mileage car?)

thanks b.

NO NO new bearings all the time in my opinon just change the damaged one, are you sure it is the bearing? Have you checked the bearing ie have you held the top and bottom of your wheel to check for play on the bearing. If its ok you should feel nothing, if is allows you to push and pull wheel in and out it needs changing. Is the brake pads binding on the disc? should roll freely with no binding check it again(y)

thanks, top idea it was the brakes after all, a strip and squeeze of copper grease around the clips/springs sorted it.

b/

Back